Soundcard to receiver

RuSS1anRus1an

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015
Hello everybody, registered to ask this question as I always saw very good answers on this site. Hopefully someone can help.

I had this setup before
Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium (soundcard)
Logitech Z-5500 (speakers)

Because of accident, speakers no longer work, and I am looking for a proper replacement. Figured the best thing to do is set up whole audio system, with receivers.

And got into a problem of choosing one because of the following:

Sound coming from PC comes from 3 3.5mm audio jacks, with each wire carrying a stereo sound (2 front, 2 rear, 1 center and subwoofer somehow) making a complete surround sound (PCM?)
Z-5500 was capable of playing surround sound when all these jacks were plugged. It was also capable of playing surround sound that was encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS from DVD player or PS3 console through optical connection.

Is there such receiver that can accomplish all of the above? I understand the need for 1/8 jack to rca cable to connect to receiver, but when I look at typical receiver's connectors (for example Yamaha RX-V377), I get stumped

81u5jW0hF3L._SL1500_.jpg

I see that each RCA is in different "block", so I assume they will be used independently. Or am I using a bad example? If possible, can you please give an example of how and where am I supposed to connect to what? Because what I see is I will only be able to connect to AV4, 5 and Audio, and have large doubts about combining them into 5.1. And I am still left with a subwoofer which is another issue, but first things first.

If I left something unclear please say so, I will try my best to explain.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
There are receivers with discrete 7.1 inputs but they are not just a combination of the other inputs. They are grouped together and labeled as such.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR5009
When your connect with the analog outputs of you soundcard you are letting that do the processing to the digital surround to individual analog channels which the speaker package then amplifies.
A surround receiver is designed to do both and usually much better so connecting your PC with a digital audio or HDMI connection is preferred.
There are receivers with discrete 7.1 inputs but they are not just a combination of the other inputs. They are grouped together and labeled as such.
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR5009
When your connect with the analog outputs of you soundcard you are letting that do the processing to the digital surround to individual analog channels which the speaker package then amplifies.
A surround receiver is designed to do both and usually much better so connecting your PC with a digital audio or HDMI connection is preferred.

Solution