Question Replacing Xiaomi Air 12.5: Lightweight Laptop Options for Versatile Use

Feb 22, 2024
Hello! I'm looking for a successor to my Xiaomi Air 12.5 (1st Gen).

I've owned it since 2017 and I love every aspect of it: the lightweight design, compactness, smooth performance, the screen with no viewing angle issues (although it struggles in direct sunlight), exceptional sound, long-lasting battery, and the aluminum chassis. Not to mention, I got it for less than 500€. However, after many years, it's starting to show its age.

I'm in no rush, but I'm seeking a laptop that can decently replace it. My usage includes writing (even in challenging conditions like "conferences with the laptop on my lap"), programs I use for research (Excel, SPSS, other data analysis software), watching movies and TV series, web browsing, and online meetings.

Is there a worthy successor that doesn't cost a fortune? I'm interested in something equally lightweight and compact (up to 14 inches), with a long-lasting battery and equally good sound quality.

I wonder if the Xiaomi Air 12.5 was a unique gem in the market or if there's something equally good for the same price range today. Note that the Air 12 has an m3 processor, 128GB SSD, and 4GB RAM. I believe any device today would be significantly more powerful.

To recap:
USAGE: Writing, online meetings, office work, analysis software (not particularly heavy), web browsing, TV shows, and movies.
REQUIREMENTS: Max 14", good battery life, smooth performance, good webcam, good sound. Lightweight.
BONUS: USB-C charger and good design, resistant to shocks and scratches. Preferably not plastic chassis.