Report: Amazon Now Has the Lead in Android Tablet Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
That wont last for long. It is merely a function of ignorance and the wide spread assumption that to read an Amazon book you need a Kindle.

puma_man

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Saying the Kindle Fire is just to read books is like saying your car is just for listening to the radio. I use mine to cruise the net, watch Netflix, Amazon VOD, listen to music off the cloud (free cloud I might add), play games etc. You accuse Kindle owners of ignorance and then spew yours in the same sentence? You sir, are the king of idiots. We can only hope you don't poison the Earth with your offspring.

G

I never assumed I needed a Kindle to read with. I knew I wanted a Kindle Fire to watch movies and TV shows, listen to music, play games and oh yes, read books I never would have tried before. I love my Kindle Fire, and today took delivery of a basic Kindle so I can read in the sunshine. Nobody is going to believe you, del35. I imagine you are an Apple fan boi.

G

Amazon sucks. Anyone who would publish a book on how to get away with pedophilia should never be given money. Boycott Amazon. I will never buy from Amazon.

dlochinski

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]jdog2pt0[/nom]As nice as the Kindle is, I prefer a 10" screen.[/citation]
Agreed, I like 7" form factor, but prefer 10" for reading comics. That's mostly the reason, since typing on a 7" is easier, but I guess web browsing is a matter of preference too, so yeah, 10" for me.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]Mysti[/nom]I never assumed I needed a Kindle to read with. I knew I wanted a Kindle Fire to watch movies and TV shows, listen to music, play games and oh yes, read books I never would have tried before. I love my Kindle Fire, and today took delivery of a basic Kindle so I can read in the sunshine. Nobody is going to believe you, del35. I imagine you are an Apple fan boi.[/citation]

Ironically, he always bashing Apple in Apple threads, and I don't have problem with that. Research before you call anyone a fanboy. ;)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I think the kindle fire was great for the tablet market for android, it got lots of growth, offered a good product at an affordable price, it isn't my cup of tea and I'm waitign for a good low price 9-10ish inch tablet but since the kindle fire got released alot of companies seem to have been offering cheaper tablets so in the end it might help save me money.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Personally, Amazon is setup to be the only real competition for Apple, and not because of hardware. They are the only other player in the market that has end-to-end content (music/video/books/apps) and an infrastructure to sell/distribute it (Amazon EC2 + other cloud platforms).

Personally, I would love it if Amazon released a native app that covered all of their content services on all Android devices. The Fire is the only Android device that has Amazon VOD and allows you to download the video, all others you need to use a web browser to use those services. I would buy more content from them if they opened up their services to other devices. Plus, content delivery is really where they make money, not in selling the Fire or other Kindle's. If its all about content delivery, wouldnt you want to provide the tools to reach the largest community of users as possible?

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Oh, also, the other Android tablets saw a decline not because of Amazon, but because of Apple. Those other providers are selling 10" devices, and the decline happened during a period of time when Apple dropped its price on the iPad/iPad 2 and then released the iPad 3. All those other declines were in larger format tablet sector. The Transformer Prime was an exception with some growth because technology wise it is the closest in size/battery life/performance to Apple, and at the time better than the iPad/iPad 2 products in some ways (hardware comparison).

Status
Not open for further replies.