Report: Apple Revealing Two iPad 3 Tablets in January

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ava__

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]keakuamai[/nom]Good grief. It's a tablet, it's not a life threatening device [...][/citation]

You are so wrong. This is a device which will bring more and more money into Apple accounts. They currently have more than 70 billion dollars at their hands. Concentration of such an ammount of capital into a few hands WILL definitely affect your life. This kind of money is used TODAY to such things as suing competition out to oblivion, file more bogus/obvious patents, buying politicians lobbying changes into the patent system, change the whole law system to suit their needs. Do you realize how dangerous is this power they already have ?

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
...Only iSheep go on about the apps, having 2 billion shitty apps...

This made me laugh hard. For years anti Apple zealots have said there are so many more apps for Windows compared to Macs. Of course they never pointed how many were redundant or absolute crap.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Is it me, or is Christmas really the worst time to be getting someone an iPad or iPhone. People have just unwrapped their present and the next week you are telling them that their new toy is soon to be obsolete. Wouldn't you be better off just giving them a cash check so they can get the newer version in 2 months time.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]darasen[/nom]...Only iSheep go on about the apps, having 2 billion shitty apps...This made me laugh hard. For years anti Apple zealots have said there are so many more apps for Windows compared to Macs. Of course they never pointed how many were redundant or absolute crap.[/citation]

There will always be alot of useless crap on all platforms. The difference here is that on a windows machine there will allways be more software and more options for said software than there is on a Mac.

The reason i call Apple fans iSheeps is because they are plain ignorant. They belive that Apples products are godsent. They work well but when you want to used them outside the overpriced Apple family it's quite useless or even more of a hassel than non Apple products. They are not that verry secure, as Apple makes people belive. They are virus prone if they do stumble upon the viruses designed for Apple products. Oh and if they break down your pretty much screwed since it costs you a fortune to repair it.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I gave up on recommending anything to anyone, if someone wants to buy an apple product then go for it. I fix all of my family's electronic issues, whether it be their TV remote, laptop, or file server. The best part for me is now I just tell them to go to the apple store when it breaks. I still fix everyone's pc's and androids though, at least they want to learn.

If everyone used Apple we would live in Wall-E world...

(sopa would get this site taken down for the wall-e reference, but I couldn't resist)

malicemizer

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
The reason i call Apple fans iSheeps is because they are plain ignorant. They belive that Apples products are godsent. They work well but when you want to used them outside the overpriced Apple family it's quite useless or even more of a hassel than non Apple products. They are not that verry secure, as Apple makes people belive. They are virus prone if they do stumble upon the viruses designed for Apple products. Oh and if they break down your pretty much screwed since it costs you a fortune to repair it.

Lol you know how many millions of people have apple products? You just lumped all of them into the, "ignorant" category because you don't like apple. Hmm lets see all of my serious college friends have apple products be it laptops, phones, ipads whatever so are we ignorant to? I gladly pay a little extra for a stable operating system with good customer service and a aesthetically pleasing design. I like windows to I like android shoot I build my own gaming pcs but I still have a apple laptop for school. It frustrates me to no end how some of you can call people who like apple all of these stupid names. Its actually most likely making people like apple more because who wants to be a jerk and act like a child for something liking something different.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
My best guess is that they will have 3 models total.
1) Current iPad 2 with 8MB
2) New iPad 3 with 16MB and 5MP camera
3) New iPad 3 with 32 or 64MB and 8MP camera

By the way, Tom, 8MP lens is completely, absolutely incorrect term. It is 8MP sensor, not lens.

G

Can't see two models with the camera resolution being the defining difference.

I'd like to see a sub-8" iPad 2s with the same resolution, a better camera, 1gb of ram and available in 32 & 64GB models. Priced from $299/£220 to $399/£300.
The iPad 3 to be a circa-10" quad-rez available in 32, 64 & 128GB versions and with decent cameras to be priced similarly to the existing model.
The 3g chip-sets are dirt cheap and its inclusion should be standard across the board. Competition is at that stage we can assume 2012 is going to see a declining Apple market share. Its time laziness and arrogance took a back seat to competing as we're going to see a flurry of innovative and different Android machines in 2012.

All models to have USB and SD card slots. Its about time these tablets were made more useful and the overpowering control freakish nature of Apple dialed back a bit.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]There will always be alot of useless crap on all platforms. The difference here is that on a windows machine there will allways be more software and more options for said software than there is on a Mac. The reason i call Apple fans iSheeps is because they are plain ignorant. They belive that Apples products are godsent. They work well but when you want to used them outside the overpriced Apple family it's quite useless or even more of a hassel than non Apple products. They are not that verry secure, as Apple makes people belive. They are virus prone if they do stumble upon the viruses designed for Apple products. Oh and if they break down your pretty much screwed since it costs you a fortune to repair it.[/citation]

You find all people that use Apple products ignorant however most of the people I know including myself are doctors, scientist, or technologist that do great things everyday for mankind like save lives (maybe yours one day), find cures, or develop the next generation sensors or machines for space exploration.

What is it that you do that helps mankind? Not all Apple people are ignorant. No one is forcing you to use Apple, you seem upset that you are unable to convince people that your product selection is the right one.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Malicemizer[/nom]Lol you know how many millions of people have apple products? You just lumped all of them into the, "ignorant" category because you don't like apple. Hmm lets see all of my serious college friends have apple products be it laptops, phones, ipads whatever so are we ignorant to? I gladly pay a little extra for a stable operating system with good customer service and a aesthetically pleasing design. I like windows to I like android shoot I build my own gaming pcs but I still have a apple laptop for school. It frustrates me to no end how some of you can call people who like apple all of these stupid names. Its actually most likely making people like apple more because who wants to be a jerk and act like a child for something liking something different.[/citation]

I called Apple fans ignorant.

OSx is far from being stable. It's infact verry unstable at times and is verry good at hiding it's problems without fixing it. Programming for any platform is exacly the same. Apple products are in no way isolated from buged code and sluggishness.

The reason i call people ignorant is that more than often i see people defending Apple products without listening to other people or comparing products. The ones that go straight to Apple products because they have more "apps". There's a boatload of reasons to call Apple fans ignorant.

I've got friends that have switched completly to Apple products. And they are completly sold on apple products. They are actually so sold on them that they ignore all the bugs and slowdowns. And when they use something outside of their Apple circle they start bad mouthing that product as soon as there's a small bug or a slowdown.

Fact is that alot of these people are beyond the fanatic fan line and are really annoying to even try and hold a decent conversation since they will allways be biased towards Apple. Even you must have seen the mass ammounts of articles last year about Apple products being the worse to review since Apple fans are rabbid and would chew the head of the reviewer for even mentioning something bad.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]You find all people that use Apple products ignorant however most of the people I know including myself are doctors, scientist, or technologist that do great things everyday for mankind like save lives (maybe yours one day), find cures, or develop the next generation sensors or machines for space exploration. What is it that you do that helps mankind? Not all Apple people are ignorant. No one is forcing you to use Apple, you seem upset that you are unable to convince people that your product selection is the right one.[/citation]

Once again i said Apple Fans. And not everyone.

G

Actually, in terms of the iPad I can think of multiple reasons why I wouldn't get an Android Tablet.

Software - ProLoQuo, Boxee, HBO Go, Xfinity, Amplitude, Behavior Tracker Pro, Game Factory, MetaTouch, The Daily TouchTalking are all only available on the iPad. But no, you guys are right there's a ton of Android equivalents - not. And that's just the tip of the iceberg and specific to what I use my iPad for.

Major outlets aren't supporting Android tablets, and while I love my Android phone that same love hasn't carried over to a larger screen.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
@Anon55: I just googled all those apps, all but three are available on android, AND there are alternatives to Game Factory, MetaTouch, and DailyTouch.

Also, Android tablet market share recently reached 40%. Ya, smart idea to ignore that many customers.

And you people wonder why the term isheep exists. I really don't mind people who like the ipad, there are many good reasons to like it. But the "isheep" category needs to stop degrading those that use android tablets, which also have their benefits.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]I called Apple fans ignorant. OSx is far from being stable. It's infact verry unstable at times and is verry good at hiding it's problems without fixing it. Programming for any platform is exacly the same. Apple products are in no way isolated from buged code and sluggishness. The reason i call people ignorant is that more than often i see people defending Apple products without listening to other people or comparing products. The ones that go straight to Apple products because they have more "apps". There's a boatload of reasons to call Apple fans ignorant. I've got friends that have switched completly to Apple products. And they are completly sold on apple products. They are actually so sold on them that they ignore all the bugs and slowdowns. And when they use something outside of their Apple circle they start bad mouthing that product as soon as there's a small bug or a slowdown.Fact is that alot of these people are beyond the fanatic fan line and are really annoying to even try and hold a decent conversation since they will allways be biased towards Apple. Even you must have seen the mass ammounts of articles last year about Apple products being the worse to review since Apple fans are rabbid and would chew the head of the reviewer for even mentioning something bad.[/citation]

You seem like a fanatic also but for a different agenda. How you see your friends is probably how they see you. Fanatics are blind.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Bottom line, from an Apple non-owner, is that Apple is the platform to beat. This is great news for everyone as it represents innovation and advancement. Right now I own a Kindle, but if I were going to buy a full sized tablet, and I plan on it, I would buy the Ipad, not because it is a fashion statement, but rather because it is the best at the moment. I followed the same strategy the last time I bought an Apple product, the IIE.....

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Is it me, or is Christmas really the worst time to be getting someone an iPad or iPhone. People have just unwrapped their present and the next week you are telling them that their new toy is soon to be obsolete. Wouldn't you be better off just giving them a cash check so they can get the newer version in 2 months time.[/citation]

I have to agree. I was really tired of seeing my mum struggle with her samsung netbook for all but the most basic searches (IMDB\Wikipedia sort of browsing and a few Windows card games) so I bought her an iPad2 for Christmas.

Now don't get me wrong, I am a PC guy when it comes to desktops, business apps, games and pro laptop use but when it comes to the interesting, fun and really usefull day to day stuff, I use an iPad2.

It just really pains me to think that I've replaced her netbook with a device that is essentially being made redundant almost immediately. Perhaps if Apple had some goals or a proper release schedule that they published customers wouldn't feel as if they've been cheated into buying their old stock, as I now feel.

I guess that is one thing in favour of the Windows market in that a device isn't coupled to it's OS and so there is a great deal of possibilities of for example running a new OS on old hardware and even though it may run badly to start it can be upgraded unlike pretty much all mobile and IOS devices (that being said I got stung with an HTC WPC 2002 device I couldn't update\upgrade so there are some big exceptions with Microsoft OSs too).

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
For the "ASheep" that are always posting negative Apple stuff here, just stay away. You aren't interested anyhow so why do you bother to post anything. Have "any" of you ever even owned and Ipad or used one? (Granted I haven't myself as I own no Apple products at all). But I do own a Motorola Atix 4g and I have used the Android market and tons of the Apps there are Rip offs of other Apps. So the App debate sucks either way.

rsh007

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
it seems to me samsung galaxy tab 7.7 is still a better option... but if i have to have a e-reader, i'd go for a nook...

darreng101

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]idono[/nom]There will always be alot of useless crap on all platforms. The difference here is that on a windows machine there will allways be more software and more options for said software than there is on a Mac. The reason i call Apple fans iSheeps is because they are plain ignorant. They belive that Apples products are godsent. They work well but when you want to used them outside the overpriced Apple family it's quite useless or even more of a hassel than non Apple products. They are not that verry secure, as Apple makes people belive. They are virus prone if they do stumble upon the viruses designed for Apple products. Oh and if they break down your pretty much screwed since it costs you a fortune to repair it.[/citation]

With all due respect, I admire Apple for their work, and I also have PC products as well.

My experience of Apple products are that they are well built (An iTouch I still use daily, now 2 1/4 years old survived 3 months traveling in S. America, it got slept on, forgotten in my back pocket on overnight buses, dropped numerous times etc etc)

Without Apple, I believe the Smartphone and Tablet market would be at least 12 months behind where we are now because I don't see any other company taking the lead on a consistant basis. (Sure maybe a company gets ahead on a product for a while - a bit like AMD and NVidia, alot of the time its release dates)

No, I don't think they are Godsent, just well designed. 90% of Apple critisism come from tech geeks that want to be able to customise/optionise every aspect of the experience.

Heads up here guys - not everyone wants that. Alot of people still struggle with technology, its the same back 20 years when most people struggled with setting the timer on the VCR (although it dawns on me alot of Apple haters either weren't alive then or barely walking... , or they were the ones, like me, that were able to work out how to program it and willing to spend the time doing so).

I'm looking forward to whatever Apple brings to us next. I doubt any other company has the vision or is prepared to take the risk. They'll just tag along after the market has been tested by Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.