Report: Apple Wants TV Service By End of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
But the TV service could contradict some apps that already exist on the App Store provided by CBS, ABC and others which stream new and old content to iOS devices. Let’s also not forget Hulu Plus which does a very good job offering TV shows just after they've aired on their parent networks.

Knowing Apple, I have no doubt that these apps will be taken out mercilessly.

G

Is Apple definately going with the iTV moniker then? I thought ITV (the UK TV channel) would have prior claim on the name...

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
"These providers have "largely balked" at Apple's efforts to exert control over all aspects of the proposed video service, including prices."

-Pretty much sums up all that's wrong with Apple - their need to have control over everything. They'll go ahead and launch a video streaming service, call it revolutionary and magical (like Facetime lol), patent it then sue everyone else in the market. It's bound to happen, it's just a matter of when.

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Still very must interested to see which way this goes, but I'm still not interested in buying 'channels'.

SHOWS as apps that can be delivered on demand to any platform not just iDevices and the TV sounds great.

I just don't get if this will split video content from iTunes to a dedicated video service (which was able unit sale of music.. so unit sale of TV shows, movies, live performances etc?)

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I want to see Apple do the same for TV what they did for music. Why should I buy an entire CD if I only like 1-2 songs? Likewise, why should I "purchase" a channel package with ABC when they only have a couple shows I like?

I want the ability to watch whatever I choose with no more channels. The concept of having a "channel" is archaic.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I don't like Apple, but I hate those Cable / Satelite even more!

This time I hope Apple can teach them a lesson!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I want to see Apple do the same for TV what they did for music. Why should I buy an entire CD if I only like 1-2 songs? Likewise, why should I "purchase" a channel package with ABC when they only have a couple shows I like?I want the ability to watch whatever I choose with no more channels. The concept of having a "channel" is archaic.[/citation]I tot Video on demand/digital download/internet TV already have those thing? beside, no TV content is good unless they can by pass any gov censored/cutting.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I want to see Apple do the same for TV what they did for music. Why should I buy an entire CD if I only like 1-2 songs?

While I agree with this, I disagree with your claim that Apple was the first to do this. On another note, because Apple has shown itself to be a patent troll promoting locked-down standards and lack of cross-platform support, I would prefer not to see Apple's shiny claws grabbing for my wallet in my living room or computer.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]While I agree with this, I disagree with your claim that Apple was the first to do this. On another note, because Apple has shown itself to be a patent troll promoting locked-down standards and lack of cross-platform support, I would prefer not to see Apple's shiny claws grabbing for my wallet in my living room or computer.[/citation]
Just vote with your wallet and don't buy their overpriced products... Pretty sure there are already some services that could offer the equivalent of that.
As I said before, the problem with delivering a-la-carte TV programming is that the distributor would have to negotiate for each channel individually, rather than buying in bulk. Add to that the in-predictability of knowing beforehand the amount they'll be able to sell (how many customers will actually subscribe for that particular channel, how many will keep it and how many will dump it after a few months) and you have the perfect recipe for a price hike.
The perfect scenario would be a receiver box (cable/satellite/broadband ) that one can buy, connect to the content distributor (cable company/satellite via dish/broadband ISP) and select the channels would like to buy, click and purchase directly from the channel owner (CNN, ABC, etc.). That would be ideal. The distributor would make a small percentage from each transaction. There would be no fourth-party (like Apple) to pay.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Just vote with your wallet and don't buy their overpriced products...

Ummm, I think it is the duty of intelligent and aware people to do more. They must inform the masses and shoot down the iCrap behemoth whenever possible. Apple with its drm infested shiny hardware and locked-down standards threatens the march of technology.... So I will not only refuse to buy Apple products, but as concerned person with a humanist slant, I see it as my duty to deflate the iCrap hype whenever possible. I think it was Primo Levy put it very succinctly when he said: "Silence is complicity".

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Ummm, I think it is the duty of intelligent and aware people to do more. They must inform the masses and shoot down the iCrap behemoth whenever possible. Apple with its drm infested shiny hardware and locked-down standards threatens the march of technology.... So I will not only refuse to buy Apple products, but as concerned person with a humanist slant, I see it as my duty to deflate the iCrap hype whenever possible. I think it was Primo Levy put it very succinctly when he said: "Silence is complicity".[/citation]
Why do they even allow idiots like you on Tom's? I think it's Tom's duty to ban a$$holes like you from spitting vile at every Apple article that comes along.

And Apple wasn't first, but they were the first SUCCESSFUL implementation of the idea of buying only what you want. Doesn't matter how much you hate Apple, you can't rewrite history.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I tot Video on demand/digital download/internet TV already have those thing? beside, no TV content is good unless they can by pass any gov censored/cutting.[/citation]
They only have partial versions of that. I can rent movies and special events from my cable company, but I can't outright purchase a movie or TV series from them. And if I want to watch the latest episode of Law & Order I have to set my PVR to record it the day it comes out. Meanwhile, some cable companies let you watch streamed versions of shows anytime after it originally aired without having to PVR it.

The point is the existing systems are all over the map. And there's no reason I should have to buy a package of 5 channels to get the 2 that I actually want. Channels have no reason to exist in the digitial age.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Ann ONeamus[/nom]Is Apple definately going with the iTV moniker then? I thought ITV (the UK TV channel) would have prior claim on the name...[/citation]
It does and they have been vigorously warned to keep their grubby mits off the name
Time will tell however as they are so used to stealing what they have been denied via licensing before now that I exect them to simply announce and ship and just settle out of court after a lengthy and expensive court case
Same as Apple logo, iPad, iPhone, iPod menu, etc etc etc

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Why do they even allow idiots like you on Tom's? I think it's Tom's duty to ban a$$holes like you from spitting vile at every Apple article that comes along.And Apple wasn't first, but they were the first SUCCESSFUL implementation of the idea of buying only what you want. Doesn't matter how much you hate Apple, you can't rewrite history.[/citation]
I think the public has spoken, you are not welcome troll - BEGONE!!!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ Sorry, bub, not gonna happen. So a troll and a few Apple haters vote down a comment of mine and that means "the public has spoken"?

If you think I'm a troll and del35 posts reasonable comments, then you are beyond stupid.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Ooooooh, a Commie insult. What's next? You going to invoke Godwin's law?

Pretty pathetic when someone makes any comment in an Apple discussion and the 12 year olds come out to thumb-down anyone who doesn't jump on the Apple hate train.

Funny, I thought you were smarter than that, but I see you're just the same when the topic switches to Apple.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Funny, I thought you were smarter than that[/citation]
No you didn't, you never have, trying to appeal to my better nature assumes I have one, I thoroughly dislike Apple business practice and anyone defending it - the hardware may be nice but the way the company runs it business stinks to high heaven, including outright theft of whatever the hell it wants because it has the money to buy its way through the legal system

Status
Not open for further replies.