Report: Google in Talks to Acquire Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i know facebook's new update was purely out of fear of twitter [i read an article that quoted the maker himself]... if the facebook guy does things right, he won't have anything to fear, because twitter isn't exactly a social networking site, i'd like to talk to my friends, and leave them messages because i don't have time to AIM anymore.

anywho, if google acquires twitter, i'm gonna need to see what all the fuss is about

G

Never even used twitter, no WONDER I've felt this emptiness inside me. I MUST TWEET! D:

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I don't really understand the appeal.

Unless you lead some extremely fascinating life, like a combination Beer Taster/Roller Coaster Rider job, I'm probably not interested in hearing that you have to go to work and you're tired.

thedipper

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Google acquires things and generally makes them better, so this would be a good thing.

Being able to send updates straight from gmail or youtube would improve the service.

BTW guys: this isn't about how you don't like Twitter, it's about google acquiring them.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"In what could be a hugely lucrative deal for Google ..."

How is spending $500 million on a service that they could recreate in two weeks going to be hugely lucrative for Google? It sounds obscenely expensive to me.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]fuser[/nom]"In what could be a hugely lucrative deal for Google ..."How is spending $500 million on a service that they could recreate in two weeks going to be hugely lucrative for Google? It sounds obscenely expensive to me.[/citation]

Just because you can make your own running shoes, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy a pair of Nikes. Sure, Google could come up with their own Twitter, but would its userbase match the 6 million people that is Twitter's? Maybe, maybe not. It's the uncertainty that would push them to buy. Look at Orkut, Google's social networking site. Fell on its face for the most part.

bungee91

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I think that it makes perfect sense to buy them and add them to the portfolio then to try to make something comparable.

Let's face it, most average users on the internet aren't very tech savvy and they will keep going to the places they go to now. Buying twitter now nets you ALL of those people, as opposed to trying to get them all to switch.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]DXrick[/nom]Not to mention that they may have patented the concept.[/citation]

If their concept is patentable, then the US patent system is even worse shape than I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.