Report: iPad 3 Design is the Same as the iPad 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkritch

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Since when does Apple ever do anything new?[/citation]

Why change what isn't broken?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
polly the parrot: Since when does Apple ever do anything new?

I'm not a fan of everything Apple, nor their pricing on some things. But to say what you did is absurd.

Lets just talk about a few of the things in the last 10 years.

* I had mp3 players before iPods, but there's no question the sleek design and the easy access to files with the scroll wheel was a great idea.

* I used online mp3 stores to download music before iTunes. But there's no question iTunes brought together a large selection from many music corporations for people to easily download and pay music.

* iPhone, since when was touch phones really a reasonable choice for a phone since the iPhone?

* iPod touch, this completely has changed personal devices that has eaten a great share from mp3 players and portable gaming / apps.

* App store, yes they were around before, but nothing even came close to Apple's App Store for mobile

* Tablets, yes there were around before, and every single one flopped. No you have everyone including your neighbour trying to sell a tablet, albeit almost all unsuccessfully.

* Ultra-books. All attempts previously failed essentially. Now with the success of the MacBook Airs once again, you can find every computer manufacturers trying to come out with their version.

* FaceTime

* Retina Display

* Siri

* I can mention some Desktop OS stuff, but I won't.

I think you get the picture now...

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Nothing like a woman to complain about the aesthetics of a device whose usefulness has absolutely nothing to do with what it "looks" like.

Maybe the title of this article should be, "I want a pink iPad3"

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The typical iCrap moron could not care less about the hardware, servicibility, or even the casing as long as it sport the Apple logo. WHY DOES APPLE NOT JUST SELL ITS LOGO ALONE.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
iPad 3 Design is the Same as the iPad 2
Why should that be surprising? It's pretty much the same as the iPad 1.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
Well, the visible components (general shape, color, screen size) aren't what we're claiming is broken... it's the primarily the OS that's broken. The ideal world for free computing in the tablet world will be when you can select whether you want iOS or Android on your tablet.
However, I still wouldn't buy any Apple product due to personal disagreements (not to mention poor design) with their (lack of) business ethics. Vote with your wallet, as they say. I've cast my vote, will you?

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]I'm not a fan of everything Apple, nor their pricing on some things. But to say what you did is absurd.Lets just talk about a few of the things in the last 10 years.* I had mp3 players before iPods, but there's no question the sleek design and the easy access to files with the scroll wheel was a great idea.* I used online mp3 stores to download music before iTunes. But there's no question iTunes brought together a large selection from many music corporations for people to easily download and pay music.* iPhone, since when was touch phones really a reasonable choice for a phone since the iPhone?* iPod touch, this completely has changed personal devices that has eaten a great share from mp3 players and portable gaming / apps.* App store, yes they were around before, but nothing even came close to Apple's App Store for mobile* Tablets, yes there were around before, and every single one flopped. No you have everyone including your neighbour trying to sell a tablet, albeit almost all unsuccessfully.* Ultra-books. All attempts previously failed essentially. Now with the success of the MacBook Airs once again, you can find every computer manufacturers trying to come out with their version.* FaceTime* Retina Display* Siri* I can mention some Desktop OS stuff, but I won't.I think you get the picture now...[/citation]
You admit mp3 players before iPod, and mp3 stores. I think iTunes is the most expensive, clumsiest place to get music. I'd buy a CD before considering iTunes.
I had a touch phone before the iPhone existed. In fact, I went through 2 of them, and loved them. I have never liked the iPhone.
With app stores, they basically copied what already existed (Windows Mobile, Blackberry, etc.) but had a larger user-base.
"Ultra-books" only sell en masse because of their Apple branding. I had an "ultra book" type laptop before the Airs came out, and from my experience I wouldn't switch to an Air if you gave it to me for free.
Facetime - umm, ever heard of skype? Just implemented it on a phone and changed its name.
Retina display - well, the very fact that you list this shows you don't know much about it. Anyone who knows the history of that term and what it actually means will understand.
Siri - Apple didn't create Siri, they bought it and slapped it on the iPhone, stuck an "S" on the end of the model #, and made people pay for a whole new phone to use it.

Yeah, Apple's quite the innovator...
o_O

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I may not be a visionary, but I can't really see how they could redisign a tablet. Upgrade the hardware, add or remove a port there and there,sure. But what else? A true innovation would be to make it foldable. Hard to do with the technology we have to day, but soon...

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]polly the parrot[/nom]Since when does Apple ever do anything new?[/citation]

Since they're leading the mobile app market, with the vast majority of revenue coming in from app sales across all platforms being on iOS, and because the majority of apps and games that are released on mobile platforms are released on iOS either first or exclusively, and because iOS doesn't lag during simple tasks such as screen changing, so a 1Ghz dual core CPU is currently good enough.

That said, nobody knows what hardware will be in the iPad 3, so who knows if they'll bump up the clock speed, add more cores, add more RAM, etc?

Not that it matters, because anybody who doesn't worship Android is down-ranked to oblivion, while they're busy modding the ROMs on their laggy, insignificant Android phones because they have no good apps to keep them busy.

tuffjuff

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]Minor? The only thing that did not change was the case and screen.[/citation]

I like how truthful statements are down-ranked around here.

This comment system makes me sad, no wonder people hate Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.