Report: iPad 3 to get Retina Displays Supplied by Sharp

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yeah 264 doesn't seem like a real Retina display. But I guess that sort of thing could happen in the post Jobs era of Apple. Like a 4 inch iPhone with the same resolution yet still a "retina display".

And the 720p Android phones are not "on the Horizon" you could buy a 720p 341 ppi HTC Rezound off Amazon for 1 penny last week!

rykoshet

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
What dumbass analyst came up with the new resolution? There's no way Apple would QUADROUPE the resolution of the display. If they up the size, it will be to 1440x900 or similar, nothing higher. Anyone who suggests apple will move to such a resolution a 10" device should be laughed out of a job.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]"Retina display" is exciting to meI wish they'd get this pixel density on the desktop, I'd throw down the $$$[/citation]
i want a sub 700$ 2560x1600 thats quality

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
What's next Apple? Release iGlasses to read the text on those screens? lol..
Just kidding, I don't really know how that resolution will look on such a small device. I mean my monitor is 22" and I thought 1080 was good enough. :\

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I'm really glad apple is pushing high resolution screens on small devices, they look great and they are forcing other manufacturers to also create devices with high resolution screens. Granted the whole retina thing is a marketing gimmick in this instance, a screen that size with that resolution will look great. Hopefully we will start seeing super high pixel density computer displays that will be, hopefully, affordable.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Joytech22: The text and everything else will still be the same physical size, it is now just composed of 4x as many pixels reducing blurriness and/or aliasing.

Also everyone, keep in mind that while 264ppi is less than the iPhone, the iPad is designed to be viewed from further away, so the image quality should be about the same. Apple will need one heck of a GPU to allow Infinity Blade II to run on that at 2048*1536...

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Imagine that - a 9.7" tablet screen with resolution higher than high-end laptops. I remember when people said the Retina Display of the iPhone 4 wouldn't be very noticeable when compared to a 3GS - boy were they wrong. You'd have to be blind not to notice how much sharper things look on an iPhone 4, especially text. I can't imagine how good it would look on an iPad sized screen.

All the haters are trying to minimize the simple fact that the GPU in the A5 runs rings around everything out there (except for Tegra 3) by saying stupid things like "what do you need that kind of graphics power in a phone for".

Well, now you know - it's to drive this display in the next iPad.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
the more pixels per inch the better. When they get to 500ppi they can start making multi viewer glasses free 3D displays. 4 viewers times 2 eyeballs per viewer equals 8 times the pixels required.

G

What are you talking about, you putz? The 10.1v has 1280x800 resolution which is NOT FULL HD. FULL HD is 1920x1080. The iPad 3 will be the only tablet capable of displaying FULL HD.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]leeashton[/nom]dies this include the new quad core asus transformer, oh that right the old one has an IPS display, check you infor toms you are wriong again, the 10.1v has a full HD display and an amoled, so you get real 1080 not compressed crap liek the ipad 3 would give you[/citation]

Holy shit, man. That was painful to read.

phexac

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
That's great news and basically exactly what I was hoping for in the next iPad. Given iPad's bigger screen as compared to iPhone, I think lower than phone pixel density is appropriate and will definitely be a huge improvement over the current tablet stock, including the current iPad.

Apple hater's response to the company putting the highest resolution screen of any tablet maker into their next tablet model is also predictable. You guys called Apple users iSheep, then shut your eyes and refuse to give credit where credit is due.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]It will always be an oversized iTouch that doesn't run a real OS or run real software. I'll be getting a W8 tablet next year so while the iSheep will be playing Angry Birds in a higher resolution I'll be getting stuff done running real software.[/citation]

I challenge you to find one mainstream productivity task which you CAN'T do on an iPad or iPhone. It's unbelievably naive and misinformed to think that there is anything lacking in the productivity side on iPhones / iPads - you clearly just don't have a clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.