Report: McAfee Says Malware At All Time High

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
More malware than ever. In other news, there's also more computer use than ever. But the two can't possibly be related, malware use is dramatically increasing and buying McAfee is your only chance of survival!

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Too bad most popular anti-virus just anrn't doing their jobs properly these days.

How many computers i repair (has viruses on them)
that uses Norton, mcafee, panda, kapersky and other popular and they don'"t even know that virus are there.

And so many problems when you try to remove them also: BSOD, can't be uninstall because of unknown error. Uninstall cannot be found, you are not administrator (when i am)

Also the fact that those anti-virus slow down the computer so much.

Stick with free antivirus (Avast or antivir + spywareblaster/spybot/malaware bytes and super antispyware

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Norton's most recent software is entirely problem free and is shown to be more efficient at detecting malware than free competitors. Most reviews say the same of Kaspersky. McAfee gets decent approval ratings too.

Free AV isn't as good as paid, but it's close. Indeed, using a free scanning tool like Malwarebytes Anti Malware is a great help, no matter what AV you're using.

subgum

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I haven't used anti-virus for years and my machine had never been infected. Use your brain, don't click on what you shouldn't.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I'm actually seeing two trends developing in my field.....Malware is at an all time high, and end-user common sense is at an all-time low. We routinely have our end-users installing things and giving out their exchange email passwords to phishing mails, even though we send out company-wide emails reminding users of COMMON SENSE practices.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
And it will continue, until individuals convicted of writing, using, and/or deliberately spreading malware have their heads put into a bucket to catch the mess and someone pulls the trigger.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I laugh at people that say it's the Antivirus firms themselves creating the viruses and malware. They couldn't possibly create that much dirt by themselves while still having time to code their antivirus, testing, researching, developing and pay all the staff needed!

I do wish I was paid to hunt down those malware / virus writers, including scam artists. Is there a job for "Legal Hitman for the good of humanity"?

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
its almost laughable the amount of buissness that have inadiquate protection, any it admim worth there salt knows anti-virus programs only treat infections they dont prevent them

most people are sucerd in with macaffe and other peoples hype about needing an anti-virus

you only need an antivirus to remove programs what you really need is to fix the problem and the simplist way to do this is with a firewall for example look at this persons security website which actually shows you the benerfits of one

http://www.remove-malware.com

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ah McAfee, the only AV software harder to remove then most malware.

I'll stick by Kaspersky, by far the best of the popular subscription AV's, even if it is a 'little' resource heavy. Not sure if they've improved that in the 2011 version, not tried it yet.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]McAffee's software is often worse for somputers than the malware. The *only* time the network at my office got a virus, McAfee couldn't see anything wrong at all. I had to prove to the I.T. department that the virus existed and then they had to use malwarebytes to clean the network.[/citation]

Last "virus" type issue we had at our office malwarebytes refused to update itself, and when it scanned it said nothing was wrong. Yet our web browsers had been hijacked so every link redirected to a spoof site. ;)

The expensive corporate antivirus didn't block it out either.

I'll stick with my free Avast that I use at home. Never had a problem.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]I do wish I was paid to hunt down those malware / virus writers, including scam artists. Is there a job for "Legal Hitman for the good of humanity"?[/citation]

I know people in the field who do that. They're pretty damn smart. Pulling apart code, sifting through assembly, tracking through logs... neat stuff. I wish I had more time to study my programming. These are the guys who take down botnets, seize control of the C&C servers, tell the botnet "YOU ARE NOW UNDER OUR CONTROL" and try to hamstring it.

The strange thing, up until around a few years ago, most botnets didn't use hardly any encryption, what they did use was as weak as ROT13.

[citation][nom]subgum[/nom]I haven't used anti-virus for years and my machine had never been infected. Use your brain, don't click on what you shouldn't.[/citation]

As for protection, AV is not a cure-all, nor is "not going to those parts of the net". Infected PDFs, Flash, Advertisements, etc... there are more and more ways they keep figuring out how to infect your computer. They show up in more and more places, facebook, news sites, many many websites.

haze4peace

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I don't use anti-virus software myself. Just have some common sense and you should be fine. And to those saying if i don't have protection how do I know I'm not infected... I scanned my system after a year of not using antivirus and what did i find? Nothing. Not a single virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.