Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
My Review of Microsoft Security Essentials:

"Sucks."

The end.

-I think my review is easier to read. Take that, inefficient eWeek guy.

kaby

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
What do you expect from a antivirus. The first rule of security is defense in depth. And that you cannot obtain from one program. Combine that with a good firewall, software updates, antispyware, policies preventing access to unauthorized websites, analyzing programs you install for potential holes, full disc encryption, and a Smith and Wesson; then you will then have a truly secure system.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Any antivirus vastly inferior to free offerings like AVG, Avast, and Avira is a waste of time. Where exactly would this POS fit into an intelligent person's security arsenal? I'll answer that for you... In the trash.

=)

G

Is it possible that Norton and Symantec might sponsor those guys, and they are trashing the free solution to protect their sponsor's profit? Or for that matter, is Intel sponsoring Tom's ? ;) :p

PS: The Windows Security model is crap, Windows + Antivirus is about on par with Linux + no firewall + no antivirus. OSX is obviously crap no matter what...

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I fail to see where it says anything about it being 'vastly inferior' to any other free product, infact, the quote says 'scored (surprisingly) well on early wild list tests, finding everything that was thrown at it, an achievement rarely made when testing retail solutions.'

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I tried the beta for about a week. What I like about the idea is that it is a free AV program that isn't trying to sell you anything, all the other free AVs have an upgraded version they want you to buy. It absolutely killed my boot times in win7-64 tho, my system would hang until I opened the window and manually turned on the AV program. I also had one BSOD while it was trying to initialize, and win7 never crashes for me. I'll give it another shot once it is out of beta, until then I'm back to Avira with it's pop up ad after every update.

ben850

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
microsoft has already said that this built in anti-virus wasn't necessarily designed to compete with anything. it's just there to help people who have ZERO protection

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Are you sure you want to open this? It may be dangerous! "Yes" ARE YOU SURE?! "Yes" Would you like to turn this feature off? It will make your computer insecure. "Yes" ARE YOU SURE YOUR SURE!??! "Yes" Ok we'll turn it off (HAHA he doesn't even know it's actually still running in the background!!!! teehehe) Windows security features at it's best. :)

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I think I would still give this a try. I refuse to pay for Norton and McAfee and the like because of their subscription based pricing model. I have AVG but I'm not sure I have it setup as a firewall and I never get viruses so I rarely run scans. This is semi-bad practice so I am looking for a refresh on my security that is light and simple but works. Also FREE. The review basically says that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it works when put to the test. Sounds good to me.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
People like fulle have no clue what they're talking about, so best to ignore them.

For a free AV that's meant to provide basic protection, it seems good.

G

If this AV software is the same as Microsoft Live it should be good according to this site that ranks it right up there with Kapersky and Avira and other good ones.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I've been using this for my netbook and there's no difference in performance, it's not slowing down the system which is my #1 priority for AV. Also I was able to detect a fix one of my clients computers with it while Kasperky/AVG/Norton/McAffee I was getting a BSOD... I'm looking forward this AV getting out of BETA and being pushed through Windows Update, I really like what MS has done over the past years with their Windows Update programs. It's just getting more and more awesome. I'm going to support them at this for sure, it's a perfect anti-virus that you don't need to worry about and it fixes stuff on his own

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Windows defender never detected anything
Windows update is useless because they fix issues 2-3 week after a known problem.

This antivirus.. probably worth the price : 0

Im sticking to Avast and free anti-spyware

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Wow, such negative feedback for free beta software.

As far as I'm concerned this is the best thing from Microsoft since sliced bread. And I haven't even tried it yet but I'm sure I will once it comes out of beta.

Too bad it will probably put a few other companies out of business once it gets going.

Microsoft will get slammed by lawsuits if they rolled this into the OS or made it an automatic update though, mark my words for it.

webdev511

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2005
Since this is likely to compete with other free AV solutions, I doubt this will put anyone out of business.

Keep in mind that MS Security Essentials Beta is based on Forefront 2.0 Beta. I don't recall which AV rating site it was, but if I recall correctly Forefront 1.0 rated as the best performer for the month of May. Even the reviewer was surprised at the result.

In the end there is no OS or AV solution which can protect stupid people from themselves when they are determined to act on their stupidity

Status
Not open for further replies.