Report: New Xbox 360s More Reliable Than Ever

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepaul

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
My frst 360 lasted less than a year, but the refurbished one I got in exchange has now gone 2 years with no killer issues. It doesn't always boot properly but a restart always clears it up. Never scratched a disk because bumping it isn't easy to do on its shelf.

Too bad people still think a brand new 360 will die within days or something...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom].I wonder how much more money Microsoft plans to lose before they just give up on the home console market.[/citation]

Considering they run a profit on the console division I can't imagine them giving up anytime soon. Even if they were losing boatloads of money they still wouldn't give up. There is a market to be dominated and Microsoft rarely, if ever, backs out of a market where there is money to be made.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I can only say that I enjoy the content my XBOX 360 brings to my living room. After having a few failures, Microsoft has stood behind its product and replaced it every time. I cannot say the same for Sony. Will I ever go out and purchase a PS3, the answer is no, unless they are willing to match the price of a Magnovox Bluray player for $99.00. For everyone that loves their PS3, that's great. But my money is in Microsoft.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I am not surprised that the new Xbox360 are more reliable than before since it is what it is supporsed to be.
The question is... how much more relaibale it has became. Well... only time can tell.
Nice work MS... I just wish the beta tesing period for the 360 was not that long (how many "years" now since the first release?!... /sad)... >_<

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]But does that graph also include the ones that were replaced and failed?[/citation]

Most likely yes. I have had two xbox's fail on me. The first, the DVD drive stopped spinning. Then I got one with a different serial number, which really did red ring. I got that one back (yay...) but it's been pretty stable since then. Besides very occasionally getting one blinking red light that's there until you reboot, so I never looked into that.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Okay, a week and a half ago toms did an article saying failure rates were at 54%. In the chart above the prod's max failure rate was at max 10%. So even if they fixed all of the prod failures, that still leaves 44% failure rates... ???????????????????????????????????

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
WHOOOP TEEE DOOOO

NEW consoles work great. What about the MILLIONS of older consoles that Microsoft never fixed? What are they doing about those?

Answer: NOTHING. They can sending you back faulty units to try and lure you into buying ANOTHER console.

No F'ing way.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
This is why I simply will not buy a 360 I don't want the damn thing to die on me and go through the hassle of waiting for a repair/replacement. The failure rate on the console is inexcusable. I don't see why people have and continued to buy the console don't you realize your just telling MS that this is acceptable?

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
So ps3 guys have been all braggadocious about how reliable their system is all while enduring an unreasonably high 10% failure rate? Seems silly. To me even the WII's failure rate is unacceptably high. Someone needs to step up the quality control at these companies.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Say what you will, but I still think the 360 is a better complement to your Home Theater. Large selection of games and best online experience with the live marketplace in my opinion.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I've had an xbox fail twice but it was the same xbox and each time I sent it in to micrsoft and everything was taken care of for free. My PS3 disc laser went out and I was charged $100 for them to fix it. Now nothing excuses microsoft's failure rate but know one can say they haven't stood by there product. I got my xbox360 the month it came out and after 2 repairs no problem. yeah I didn't have it for 2 weeks at a time but it was free each time.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
[citation][nom]jarnail24[/nom]I've had an xbox fail twice but it was the same xbox and each time I sent it in to micrsoft and everything was taken care of for free. My PS3 disc laser went out and I was charged $100 for them to fix it. Now nothing excuses microsoft's failure rate but know one can say they haven't stood by there product. I got my xbox360 the month it came out and after 2 repairs no problem. yeah I didn't have it for 2 weeks at a time but it was free each time.[/citation]

So, basically your saying it's ok to have crazy high failure rates as long as they fix it everytime? LOL. Sure dude, sure. you think 54% is ok???? Oh, and microsoft was sued for xbox 360 failures, they have to fix it if it breaks... They aren't doing it just because they want to, they are doing it because so many people are threatening to sue them and they have already been sued over this. If the rates were %10 percent vs. 54, im sure once you were past the year warranty, you would probably have been charged 100 bucks for a lense on the 360 also.. You didn't happen to here about the 360 laser's scratching discs on the xbox did you? I wonder if microsoft replaced all the ruined games.

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I just wanna say my launch 360 broke down 4 times since I've owned it (two red rings and two disk drive failures), however the newer model that I have bought has yet to give me a single problem. I just hope that people will realize that the 360 is not nearly as bad as it was at launch. And as for the other consoles, both my Wii and PS3 have broken down(Wii for disk drive and PS3 wouldn't boot).

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I am very happy with my pro 60 gig, it has the jasper motherboard and by feeling the back for heat, it runs a lot cooler than my older falcon, which died. The new jaspers have the 12.1 amps power requirement which is a lot better than the older ones which needed either 16 or 14. I got my pro for just $250. I expect good things. I hope

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
When you consider the circumstances, it really makes sense that the Xbox 360 fails more often. If you own a PS3, you have about 3 decent games to play, and a bunch of useless online features. If you own an Xbox 360, you have about 10 series of games you can play, and THE best online experience currently available.

Play more often = more wear and tear. Simple logic, I don't understand how anyone can't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.