Report: New Xbox 360s More Reliable Than Ever

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]They fixed it free, they shipped it free, they gave me a month of LIVE... I'm content.[/citation]
I really do appreciate what they did, I got an E 74 a few days ago. I go online, go through registration, and I can print a shipping label within 5 minutes. No cost to me, just time.

I love Microsoft, they know how to treat customers.

abelpc

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
PS3s started coming in regularly for replacement at the Gamestop I worked at late last year.. it was mostly the first generation ones and the problems were almost always with the blu-ray drive.. but it was nothing compared to the stream of 360s that came thru the door needing attention.

That said, despite the hardware issues, Microsoft still leads Sony in hardware sales? What does this say about how Sony has handled the marketing for their console? Only the biggest fans (with big pocketbooks) were picking up the PS3 at first..

This should start to change with the 299 price point tho.. now Microsoft will struggle because 299 is the point you say Yes.. it is worth it to get the reliable hardware platform.

uwgibson

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I bought an xbox from best buy in 2007. I brought it home and plugged it in.. red ring.. I took it back and got it replaced by best buy. ..fast forward 2 months.. I get the red ring again.. I register with microsoft and they mail me a box to send it in... I get a refurbished replacement within a month.. fast forward 1 month.. the wireless stops working.. yes i have to buy wired controllers because my two wireless cannot connect to the 360... fast forward 2 years.. my 360 shows a red ring after 5 minutes of play...(still no wireless support).. I need to get a 4th xbox.. as soon as i can send it in...

christ.. if I didn't love halo so much..

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
What can we say about this. High heat devices + bad design = failure. The more heat a device makes the more likely it is to fail (Xbox360/PS3 = high heat devices). Same thing goes with those high end GPU's we like they usually fail more often than the x200 series of card with no fan(x = generation 2 = random low number for card series).

The Wii is a low end device so it won't fail as much as the Xbox360/PS3, The only other parts that will fail are Optical drive (moving parts can break go figure) and the contacts for the ports can wear off (my PS2's first memory card port is showing signs of this issue... annoying).

Basically if it moves or creates heat it can fail. (No this is not a perfect rule there are other things that cause failures, but are not as common)

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
[citation][nom]abelpc[/nom]Yes.. it is worth it to get the reliable hardware platform.[/citation]
And give up 3 of my all time favorite series?

No thanks, I would never buy a PS3.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
What is interesting is how some people have very good luck with certain consoles and other have terrible luck with the same ones. I primarily use my PS3 for movie watching as there aren't a lot of exclusive games that I want to play on it. I have had the 60GB version since launch. Since then I have had to have it repair at my cost twice. Once I got that stupid yellow light, and the other was for the Blu-Ray drive. Both happened after the warranty period on the PS3, or at least that was what I was told when I called into Sony to get it fixed. My Wii had a graphical corruption problem and I called Nintendo about it. My Wii was out of warranty as well, but they cross shipped me a new one claiming, "Send that to the US Nintendo headquarters. We've never heard of a problem like this." They also gave me some points for buying stuff from the Wii Store. And of course, my Xbox360 has failed on me. Only once though and it wasn't even the RROD, it was just a single red light. Luckily, I had purchased the extended warranty and I was able to get it replaced. I haven't had any problems with any of the three since these above issues were dealt with. I try to keep my consoles in very well ventilated areas though, and that may make a difference.

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
10% are you kidding me? This is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever heard. 90% of the people I know have had a RRoD. Of those people about 30-40% have had multiple RRoD(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.