Report: Next Xbox Will Be Always-On, Games Run off HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Sadly noob'ss parents will buy these in mass. More poorly ported games to PC is what it means to me. The crapbox is just now getting a Blu Ray rom drive how fail is that?

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I've really got to stop coming to this site. Apparently,
1. 99% of the posters on this site fails to makes any money and buys second hand.
That makes prices go up.

2. They pirate it in their mom's basement.
Makes the prices go up and this type of Enforcement possible.

Get a friggin' job!! $h!t man, Waaaaah, the 690GTX is tooo much money, or Waaaaah I can afford the 620 but it's no good.

I want 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 monitor but won't pay a dime over 10 cents!!

You people guys are making me sick every day I come here. (And have everyday since 2006 basically)

You guys do realize that Gaming companies are pretty much going to console so they have control over Piraters and people that keep recycling their games that they make $0 on?

Done. Pussies!

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I was reading another article that said that this particular leaked document is actually the same document from last year, resurfacing again. If that's true, many things could have changed since this leaked out originally. Microsoft could have dropped several controversial ideas once they saw Sony wasn't going to implement them. I'm sure they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot unless Sony is going to as well.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]falcompsx[/nom]ps4 is always online as well. There are rumors that it will be a purely digital content delivery system with no optical drive at all. They certainly didnt say anything in the press conference that would sound contrary to those rumors either, and their ability to download game and then stream them as they complete installation sure points to a similar system as this rumor.[/citation]

they confirmed you can tun the always online crap off.
they were showing off how connected everything was so they made no mention in the confrence...

unless where i read that from was wrong, i believe it was said around the same time as used games being playable.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
here comes the mass hacking and webcam picture taking....wait we can't make love in our living room couch anymore....never know who will be watching you....lol

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The media is jumping to conclusions on this one.

"Always online" could simply mean it will automatically connect and download updates if a connection is available. That doesn't necessarily mean you can't play your games offline.
Also, just because installs are mandatory, that doesn't necessarily mean that disks are worthless on the second hand market.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Unfortunately MS is falling off a cliff here. With Win8 and now the xBox looking like a total flop I'm almost to the point of jumping ship myself. I've been such a die-hard MS fan for a long time, but almost nothing they have been doing the last couple years is what I am looking for. It's really sad to see this titan go down like this. Simply fixes could have saved them (start menu, used games, no internet connection required, etc etc). RIP

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
This is old news, was introduced oer a week ago on other sites. Further more this is no big deal because most 360 owners already do this with their console to reduce heat and improve data
through put. This is just useless propaganda going nowhere........

bigpoppastuke

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
This sounds to me like something similar to the PS+ membership auto update feature on PS3 while not in use.

I wouldn't necessarily say this console absolutely needs to be online at all times at this point in time. I'm guessing they are implementing a similar feature. Nobody likes waiting for updates, and this solves it!

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
"users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install games."
The xbox takes like 5 seconds to power on from an off state can people not wait that long? And forcing people to install game to the HDD is bull. Lots of games have a large library of downloaded and disc games that all wont fit on a 500GB disk.

Truckinupga

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
There's going to be rumors, Horror stories and speculations of which some may be true to a point. But the console makers will change their minds a dozen times before the final product is released.
Its best not to stress it until it's finally released then let early buyers be the guinea pigs while the smart ones play the wait and see mentality before jumping on the bandwagon.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Xbox always online? PS4 always online? My guess is that Valve could kill them both in 2-3 years time with PC/x86 based Steam Box and ability to trade games.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]Xbox always online? PS4 always online? My guess is that Valve could kill them both in 2-3 years time with PC/x86 based Steam Box and ability to trade games.[/citation]
Unless you deliberately set the Steam client to offline mode, it is always online too, genius

And you can't trade Steam games either

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Man do I hope people boycott those always online consoles! This is paving the way to the games being sold as a service instead of a product. They will kill the fucking industry with this extremist capitalist shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS