Report: Next Xbox Will Be Always-On, Games Run off HDD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If these rumors are true than it will be interesting to see if consumers will still buy the console.
If this is a deal breaker for most than Microsoft may be knocking themselves out of the console wars. I wonder if they will at-least try to give some incentive in a attempt to sway the consumer over like averagely lower game prices.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Meh i see this as an advantage, its like PC gaming, install game, put disc away, don't ever need disc again.

I'd rather this than have to scroll through my library for the physical disc just to play the game.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If these rumors are true than it will be interesting to see if consumers will still buy the console.
If this is a deal breaker for most than Microsoft may be knocking themselves out of the console wars. I wonder if they will at-least try to give some incentive in a attempt to sway the consumer over like averagely lower game prices.

[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom]Blah blah blah[/citation]

What you fail to realize is the used game market does not increase the cost of games. It actually lowers the price even of newer products and increases the rate at which games de-value. It is completely pro-consumer. This creates more competition which is greatly needed in a market that has very little competition without it. Retail stores get a very small cut from video game sales go ahead and ask any shop manager or owner they get a few dollars for every $60 game sold. This is why you don't see much price variance store to store.

This is what birthed the used game market to begin with. Because we have the option of buying a used game at a lower price this is going to force the price of a new copy down to try to appeal to make the sale of the new copy. Notice how fast the price of new games goes down so fast today compared to the past? This is much in part of the used game market the industry evolved to learn it has to compete with it and yet still tries to stamp it out today.

Oh and by the way I am not impressed on how long you've been a member on here.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
This is just bad. It means you don't own the games any more. What if you want to play the game in 20 years? By that time the authentication servers will be gone. With PC you can at least get a nocd patch if Steam goes out...

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Personally, I wouldn't mind a more dominant digital store if it means a service more like Steam. I'm not saying everyone should like this move, but it is going in that direction and you might as well make the most out of it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Not everyone wants a always on and always connected console.[/citation]Well us PC gamers are always online, and have been for a long time. It's called having broadband internet, and it's actually pretty convenient. The so-called "always on" thing will probably be like a deep-sleep mode, where it wakes to install updates and keeps all your software ready to rock, and goes back to sleep when it is finished.

Basically, you have yet to tell me where they've gone wrong - especially because it isn't even out yet and people have already condemned it. Typical interwebs lawlchatter.

Oh, and if you don't want a modern online console, there's always PS2 and earlier.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]janetonly42[/nom]Well if thats true I'm keeping my PS3 until it dies then just buy a Blue Ray player and stick with PC Gaming only.[/citation]PC gamers don't rely on optical media as much anymore. Most of the time I just get stuff via Steam. My PC is always online. The DRM is built into Storefronts, like Steam, as games are linked to my account. The PC also lacks a used game market, you can't sell physical or digital used games.

Basically, the newer consoles work more like PCs and... your solution is to switch exclusively to PC gaming? As a PC gamer first and foremost (even though I still own and play consoles), I must say that sounds pretty ridiculous.

"I don't like red so if they paint their console red I'm only going to use my red PC."[citation][nom]josbur63[/nom]If either of these new consoles do not play used games,they will be unsaleable.End of story.[/citation]Yeah just like the PC. Totally DOA, who would play a PC on which you can't play used games? Wait, I am on a PC right now and I play PC games hurr derr.

Are you people all trolls or just blind?

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I no longer buy consoles anymore. I have the PS3 which I use strictly as a media player for Netflix and my ripped DVD movies off of my NAS. The XBOX 360 slim I have hardly get used anymore.

I prefer PC games. I have a decent video card and AMD processor that can run the latest games without too much of an issue. I even adapted the controller from the xbox 360 to be used on my PC.

It's just too costly to spend another $500 or whatever on a console when I can just spend less than $200 on video card upgrade and still get plenty of life out of it for years.

Also my older games will continue to work after the hardware upgrade. Sorry folks. These companies spent way too much time trying to squeeze every dollar out of us not thinking about making a great game worth buying.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
terrible idea , to have an always on (power wise) and always online console. what if my itnernet is down ? what if i don't want my console to steadily suck up dust form the air (i live in a reall dusty middle of nowhere town). doesn't sound like Ms or sony are really doign ANYTHING for teh consumer's wants , sounds more like they are doing what they want and what game publisher';s want.

rdc85

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
I hate this always online thing..

At my country the price for such internet connection per month could up to 20% of this new console price.. (there are cheaper but u will get very low quality/speed line)....

I'm one of lucky to able pays the connection, but many other that cannot.... :(

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
It is now evident why all big names wants to kill PC: because they are planning crazy business plans that no user would otherwise accept.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
[citation][nom]falcompsx[/nom]ps4 is always online as well. There are rumors that it will be a purely digital content delivery system with no optical drive at all. They certainly didnt say anything in the press conference that would sound contrary to those rumors either, and their ability to download game and then stream them as they complete installation sure points to a similar system as this rumor.[/citation]
that would be stupid if they did that, they would lose a lot of sales.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This is a step towards disc-free consoles and a digital distribution method similar to Steam, I am all for it and the sooner the better

As far as the used market goes
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]What you fail to realize is the used game market does not increase the cost of games. It actually lowers the price even of newer products and increases the rate at which games de-value. It is completely pro-consumer[/citation]
The used market has done nothing to drive down the cost of new games, if anything the cost of a new AAA title has skyrocketed. If 50 million people want a game and a single copy can circulate through 20 hands then only 2.5 million copies would be sold - a oversimplification obviously but if none of the money from the used market goes to the game company then it will cause a knock-on effect

mmm123

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Xbox will also have 3d camera and microphone, which will be also "always on", and always connected to Microsoft. Google - you are falling behind ...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
well... i am not buying one now, I have no desire for an always on console. usually i play my console only when it is raining bad outside and my internet is down making playign my pc games impossible unless i have steam already running in offlien mode. menaing I already only play it a few times a month for an hour or two, not worth the investment if i it can't even do that. granted i also used it a few tiems a year for kinect games at parties but it was really rarely used so not worth it for just that either, can think of better ways to spend a few hundred bucks on a party

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]Dyseman[/nom]I've really got to stop coming to this site. Apparently,1. 99% of the posters on this site fails to makes any money and buys second hand. That makes prices go up.2. They pirate it in their mom's basement. Makes the prices go up and this type of Enforcement possible.Get a friggin' job!! $h!t man, Waaaaah, the 690GTX is tooo much money, or Waaaaah I can afford the 620 but it's no good.I want 1,000,000 x 1,000,000 monitor but won't pay a dime over 10 cents!!You people guys are making me sick every day I come here. (And have everyday since 2006 basically)You guys do realize that Gaming companies are pretty much going to console so they have control over Piraters and people that keep recycling their games that they make $0 on?Done. Pussies![/citation]

*buys a BD burner* *Pirates PS3 games*

U mad?

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
So a lot of annoyed folks about this concept eh?

Still I guess I'll see you all in the line on release day though!

Status
Not open for further replies.