Report: Nintendo Struggling with Wii U Development

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]What facts are you basing that on that brings you to a conclusion there is no way that Nintendo hasn't gone back to the way they used to do things and will not release solid launch titles?[/citation]

...the fact that they haven't done that since Mario 64?

G

With all the smartphones and tablets on the market, people are going to be wise to the fact that they're not going to be able to comfortably hold this huuuge controller for extended periods of time. Within minutes, many will be searching for places to prop up their elbows. Nintendo should include a giant boppy/pillow with the product... rofl...

G

Seriously, not only do they have 7 months, but issues with consoles are not always uncommon, or even a bad thing. By learning that they have already scrapped 3 prototypes tells me that each version is getting better than the last. And whose not to say that any past consoles never had any developmental issues. Just give it time.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
between motion and 3d do developers even know what consumers want? make quality games with a standard controller in mind and it will sell.

stupidvillager

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Gearbox has said that they have Aliens running at higher textures and resolutions than anything ever before on either of the other two current systems. So if it is far superior, how is that possible? Other developers have stated similar lines. Crytek, Epic, EA, Ubisoft. Sorry, but I believe them over you and your best friend.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kbarber29[/nom]I've tried wirelessly audio video technology in the past at my work site. The degrade in video quality is why the screen on the controller stays small (and rightfully works), but I think the main problem is loss of signal to the controller of video and audio and possibly lots of static at even the slightest of moves of either the controller or people just walking by. If it is using say 2.4 ghz technology, they may be coming across a lot of interference and may have to increase it to a frequency no is using. It was rather cool technology when we tried it at my work site, but unreliable, especially when the video degrade made it hard to read text on the screen, that may be the final problem they are experiencing.[/citation]

i haven't gotten my hands on them yet, but look into sennheiser kleer headphones. apparently, they are wireless with no static what so ever, the range is lesser than other wireless techs, but because its 100% clear, you don't fade out like others, it just drops.

i'm assuming that the same can be applied to video transfer as well.

[citation][nom]notuptome2004[/nom]I Call Major BS . the reason i say this is 1. the unites they have now are not finale production quality development units and are maby 2 months away from being finale on the hardware2. the Wii U is using and would be using a current IBM Multi-core based Power 7 architecture where as the Xbox 360 for example uses Power 4/5 based tech the very first IBM chip to be Multi-core/ threaded chip from IBM wich is 6 years dated or slightly more depending how ya look at its development .So even if the Wii Us CPU was only clocked @ 1.8ghz it still outperform the power of the 360 by a huge leap because of the newer architecture is far more efficient and can do massive workloads faster and has better Threading and prediction pipelines now the GPU wich is siad to based on the R700 chip would be 2x to 4x more powerful then the one on the 360 wich is based on the R500 design and even so the R700 while 2 generation up in 3s made huge leaps over the first unifead shader architecture designs ATI well AMd made at that time in 2004/5 So in no Way even on finale quality units would the Wii U be slower then the 360 and or PS3 for that matter in no way is it inferior in the CPU and GPU unless ya Nintendo does clock down the CPU speed to lower then 3.2ghz but like i siad before because of the newer architecture it still outperform the crap out of the one in the 360[/citation]

there is something you are forgetting. look at the console games today... can you really believe that games that look this good run on that old of hardware?

i mean does anyone here believe uncharted 2 could really ran off that old of a gpu? now on the pc side, the difference between the 1000 and 4000 architecture was night and day, what would that same difference be on a console? now remember the 4000 architecture had tessellation in it, it just went unused.

[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]between motion and 3d do developers even know what consumers want? make quality games with a standard controller in mind and it will sell.[/citation]

the wii tablet thing is a standard controller... it will take till you have it in your hands to realize that, i guarantee it.

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Wii U will = many RROD's[/citation]

no, xbox cut corners and that made the systems fail under tempatures, nintendo has had a GREAT track record with hardware quality, they get the benefit of the doubt here.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Those are some incompetent developers then because the majority of people out there aren't like that.[/citation]
Yea, some people are interested in Nintendo games, they are called children.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i haven't gotten my hands on them yet, but look into sennheiser kleer headphones. apparently, they are wireless with no static what so ever, the range is lesser than other wireless techs, but because its 100% clear, you don't fade out like others, it just drops. i'm assuming that the same can be applied to video transfer as well. there is something you are forgetting. look at the console games today... can you really believe that games that look this good run on that old of hardware? i mean does anyone here believe uncharted 2 could really ran off that old of a gpu? now on the pc side, the difference between the 1000 and 4000 architecture was night and day, what would that same difference be on a console? now remember the 4000 architecture had tessellation in it, it just went unused. the wii tablet thing is a standard controller... it will take till you have it in your hands to realize that, i guarantee it. no, xbox cut corners and that made the systems fail under tempatures, nintendo has had a GREAT track record with hardware quality, they get the benefit of the doubt here.[/citation]

Ahh uncharted 2 / 3 for that matter on the PS3 are running on a GeForce 7800 card which is a generation older then that of what is in the Xbox 360 so yes they run on that hardware current console games do as that is the GPUs inside the consoles the PS3 (7800 GeForce ) the Xbox 360 custom R500 First design that go in to making the next X0000 series GPUs for desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.