Report: PS3 3D Firmware Upgrade Coming in June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004
Fail.

3D FTL.

You couldn't pay me to wear glasses just to watch TV, much less do any gaming. I'm not knocking 3D technology in and of itself, but I'm not going to do anything as long as it requires glasses to see/use. Come on people, loose the glasses already. *sigh*

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
ahh, you can keep the 3d t.v.. Till it becomes mainstream I am just treating it like a fad. 3d has come and gone multiple times and has yet to stay so till it does no 3d for me.

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I'm not willing to pay over $3k for 3d, but I do applaud Sony for updating the PS3 to handle it. I doubt many other 3-year-old blu-ray players will be able to handle the new format.

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I can give 2.1 billion dollars worth of reasons that 3D looks like it's here to stay and not a fad....Avatar anyone?? Oh and let's not forget Alice in Wonderland. Both Movies have had 70 percent or higher ticket sales from the 3D showings. Fad....I think NOT!!

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I have to say I have a hard time seeing how an nVidia 7xxx chip is going to drive 1080p in 3D. That requires 60fps [30fps for each eye]

I'm thinking, really? I'm going to assume that it can do 3D blu-ray, but games?

Sykar

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
@Nevertell It will, provided that 3D does become popular amongst the masses, which it has, just look at most of the new movies coming out in 3D and their popularity. I still hate the glasses though...

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]lightsaber[/nom]I can give 2.1 billion dollars worth of reasons that 3D looks like it's here to stay and not a fad....Avatar anyone?? Oh and let's not forget Alice in Wonderland. Both Movies have had 70 percent or higher ticket sales from the 3D showings. Fad....I think NOT!![/citation]

I'm of the opinion that the 3D element to that movie is not what made it the money. Excellent/expensive marketing & hype were probably two of the biggest reasons for the draw and a third might be that people just wanted to see what a movie looked like that took ten years to make. The recent awards ceremony sure didn't pay it any attention. 3D will always be a fad to me as a consumer. Other industries on the other hand, such as the medical field, should be able to find some benefits.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
For anyone questioning the quality of what is comming, go to the sony store at a mall nearby (if you have one) and see the 3D demo. The video looks great, sports look great, and the ps3 games looked even better.

I do think that having people buy a new TV is too much to ask people for in todays economy, especially when many people have already upgraded their TVs to LCDs. The only people that will be buying this are people who haven't upgraded yet or rich people that can afford a new TV every year.

I am hoping that someone comes up with an adapter that will allow people with at least 120 hz tvs convert to a 3d tv.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Meh, I think 3D is still about 4-5 years away from being worth it. The current generation of 3D movies aren't really that great IMO. It's great that they're pushing the boundaries, but I won't be jumping on the bandwagon anytime soon.

And now more importantly, why can't I click 'show' on the forum posts anymore? Now I read people responding to the post but can't view it if its rated too low. I get hiding them by default, but not showing them at all is stupid.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]lightsaber[/nom]I can give 2.1 billion dollars worth of reasons that 3D looks like it's here to stay and not a fad....Avatar anyone?? Oh and let's not forget Alice in Wonderland. Both Movies have had 70 percent or higher ticket sales from the 3D showings. Fad....I think NOT!![/citation]

Yes someone already said marketing, but also I paid 9$ to see Alice in Wonderland for a standard showing, not 15$ for 3D. Thats what a 60% increase in price for 1 ticket for the same (pretty much) movie.

I was definitely not WOW'ed from Avatar in 3D, and I would have been much happier in IMAx.

I think 3D is here to stay (unfortunately), but I will try to work around it. Although, I hope it's just a precursor to holographic :p

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The problem with 3D, IMHO, is that it requires a limited viewing angle to prevent certain portions of the screen from being out of focus. I expect that this would be less of a problem when you are gaming solo, but sitting around a tv and especially a movie theater can accually degrade rather than improve the viewing experience (more than it would with 2D) if you do not get the optimum seating.

K_M82

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
great. now even to enjoy the full capability of a console we need an upgrade (TV upgrade). next comes natal. i missed the good old days of console where i can just insert any game and it would always run without me worrying about "is my tv compatible?", "do i need any other input device for this?", "is my firmware up to speed". i game on console to get away from these question (on the PC). console are great for a very different reason than PC (i still game on my PC), but if the lines get any more obscure, i might return to gaming on PC full time.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]rhino13[/nom]I have to say I have a hard time seeing how an nVidia 7xxx chip is going to drive 1080p in 3D. That requires 60fps [30fps for each eye]I'm thinking, really? I'm going to assume that it can do 3D blu-ray, but games?[/citation]

You don't really need 60FPS for good 3D quality. Watching in 3D doesn't half your perceived framerate. It does half your refresh rate though. Although... I share you concern because the PS3 will have to render 2 identical images simultaneously (one for each eye)and in my PC 3D gaming setup that generally causes 40-50% reduction in framerate. The PS3 already struggles with frame-rates in a number of games. I highly doubt that this tech will be backwards compatible with all games.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Avatar is a poor example of 3D. Besides the obvious fact that Avatar was a horrible movie and a waste of my 3 hours, the 3D in that movie was pathetic and cheesy. Way too exaggerated and artificial. Want to see a GOOD movie in 3D? Skip the computer-graphics crap and go see something that was *filmed* in 3D. Filmed using stereoscopic movie cameras. There's a NASA documentary at IMAX right now like this and it's absolutely breathtaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.