Report: The 'Real' iPad 3 Not Coming Until Late 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawful

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Are you an apple employee? Every post I see from you only exists to put down anyone with a negative view of Apple. How can you possibly not have a negative view of Apple? How can you be okay with their actions, beyond even their overpriced products?

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Windows 8 tablets will not kill the iPad. It will kill Android tablets though.[/citation]

Wrong it does not cost company's money to use Android. And it allows more features then apple's and Microsoft's does.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]rawful[/nom]Are you an apple employee? Every post I see from you only exists to put down anyone with a negative view of Apple. How can you possibly not have a negative view of Apple? How can you be okay with their actions, beyond even their overpriced products?[/citation]

I just read ridiculous comments and make equally ridiculous, devil's advocate posts as a retort.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]I just read ridiculous comments and make equally ridiculous, devil's advocate posts as a retort.[/citation]
Hardly ridiculous, getting cheaper hardware with more functionality, by the way can we tell Steve Jobs jokes yet? Or is it too Zune.
308488_10150488237249325_702329324_11171172_1991652852_n.jpg

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Well now that Steve is no longer here to sell the magic, every at Apple will now slack off, and watch the 50 Billion dollars go to waste. gg Apple.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Windows 8 and Android 5.0 will be waiting...[/citation]

LOL, I don't understand why you guys take these things so personally. More competition regardless of the company means better products for us. If Apple makes a better iPad 2S then Android and Windows competition will have to make a better product.

Without that competition the only people who lose are us... They decimated failing HP and RIM tablets for a reason, they were craptastic.

If Apple's next product isn't better, they will lose sales. Done

I'm glad that companies are looking at Industrial Design instead of making ugly plastic crap.
Regardless hating them isn't going to make Android or Windows products better.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Regardless hating them isn't going to make Android or Windows products better.[/citation]
Correct, but Windows and Android improving won't make Apple any better, the idea that MS and Google are competing in the same business should by all account and the laws of supply and demand, force Apple to do better and sell cheaper.
But it doesn't.
There are millions of Apple haters who would be Apple haters if they weren't priced out of the market by a sub-standard product.

Drop the price by 10%, sales increase by 15%, the higher income creates the same profit but you now have a higher market share.

That why Mac desktops will never become as popular as Windows and the same reason why the iPhone will be eclipsed by Android, it's not about hating on Apple, it's all about the Benjamins.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Haserath[/nom]What else can you do besides update the hardware in these things anyway? I would rather have quick minor upgrades than major slow ones.Tom's needs less Apple haters... The Ipad 2 has the fastest graphics hardware out to date and has great battery life, but lacks ram and software availability due to Apple's Totalitarian view on hardware and software compatibility.[/citation]

I'm definitely not gonna call myself an Apple hater - I loved my Mac G4 laptop and used it for several years until I just figured that I wanted something different. I'd get an iPad but I'm getting really tired of their exclusion of Flash, and it seems their "new" technology is really just rehashes of the old stuff with flashier hardware.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]I just read ridiculous comments and make equally ridiculous, devil's advocate posts as a retort.[/citation]
Devil chose a really bad advocate in that case, kid. Stop hating and get a life already, for your own sake and sanity. Just by looking at your first post here (after trying really hard to dig it out of the negative avalanche) one can tell you have serious issues. If you have an opinion, post it in civilized manner without attacking anyone's opinion in return. If an opinion is not your own that does not make it ridiculous. Didn't they teach you that in first grade?

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Correct, but Windows and Android improving won't make Apple any better, the idea that MS and Google are competing in the same business should by all account and the laws of supply and demand, force Apple to do better and sell cheaper.But it doesn't.There are millions of Apple haters who would be Apple haters if they weren't priced out of the market by a sub-standard product.Drop the price by 10%, sales increase by 15%, the higher income creates the same profit but you now have a higher market share.That why Mac desktops will never become as popular as Windows and the same reason why the iPhone will be eclipsed by Android, it's not about hating on Apple, it's all about the Benjamins.[/citation]

I disagree. Windows and Android are not selling in a vacuum. Competition puts pressure on all of them to build better products. I'm glad Windows looks like they are figuring out how to compete with Apple and Android.

All competition forces these guys to do better. This is capitalism, there are no parties immune to competition. The American auto industry floundered until they had competition from the Japanese. Windows was awful until they realized there is viable competition.

Your argument about pricing tells one part of the story.

There are people who like premium products and have the money to buy. Mercedes vs Lexus for example. Both will get you from A to B but people pay the premium for a Mercedes because they want to. Currently Mercedes is taking Lexus as competition in it's lower luxury sales market, but a few years ago they didn't think they needed to worry. Apple is under the same pressure from Android and Windows - If they slip up, they lose sales.

Industrial design, attention to details, etc make a difference.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
This is really funny, see I gre up on Mac Plus's with 3 floppy drives, Mac LC's, SE30's, IIcx's, IIfx's, and that is when Apple was innovative and had an edge. Every thing they have made after they stopped using RISC processors and moved to the Wintel hardware is gimmick-ware.

That being said, I am happy building my own pc's that are cheaper and faster than what ever Apple produces now.

On that note though, depending on the specs on an Ipad 3, it might be worth getting one. But I still want an ipad running windows 7. It seems that this is a market completely missed by manufactures..... all the viable tables right now that are NOT an Ipad run Android and that will not work. I need direct access to my pc and my network from the tablet.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Look, iPad is better than anything out there because nobody has more than 200 native tablet apps compared to over 100,000 for the iPad, end of story. Stop reaching for anything anti Apple and wait until the Windows 8 tablets come out with full functionality and under 10 second boot time.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
You mean we have a few months without more trashpple iCrap hitting the markets? We are lucky!

There is little more unsettling than opening your browser to read the mail and seeing that slimy insignia of moronory---the Apple logo hitting your eyes.

masterjere

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
The faster the darn iPad3 comes out the faster the iPad2 will drop in price and I can finally afford to get 1! lol! But everyones got to admit, it can't just be me, but 400-500 bucks is quite pricey for an "iPad"!! I mean its the cost of a decent CPU. To me thats ridiculous. I dunno... ?

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Correct, but Windows and Android improving won't make Apple any better, the idea that MS and Google are competing in the same business should by all account and the laws of supply and demand, force Apple to do better and sell cheaper.But it doesn't.There are millions of Apple haters who would be Apple haters if they weren't priced out of the market by a sub-standard product.Drop the price by 10%, sales increase by 15%, the higher income creates the same profit but you now have a higher market share.That why Mac desktops will never become as popular as Windows and the same reason why the iPhone will be eclipsed by Android, it's not about hating on Apple, it's all about the Benjamins.[/citation]

The issue is however, people who aren't involved in the tech world, will often associate the price with how good the product is. If it's white, shiny and performs well for their needs then a high price tag will scream 'i'm top of the range!'. Even if you hate apple themselves, you have to applaud their marketing abilities. Look at the tablet, the ignorant general public didn't know they existed until apple re branded it as the next innovation of technology.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

The issue is however, people who aren't involved in the tech world, will often associate the price with how good the product is. If it's white, shiny and performs well for their needs then a high price tag will scream 'i'm top of the range!'. Even if you hate apple themselves, you have to applaud their marketing abilities. Look at the tablet, the ignorant general public didn't know they existed until apple re branded it as the next innovation of technology.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]LOL, I don't understand why you guys take these things so personally. More competition regardless of the company means better products for us. If Apple makes a better iPad 2S then Android and Windows competition will have to make a better product. Without that competition the only people who lose are us... They decimated failing HP and RIM tablets for a reason, they were craptastic. If Apple's next product isn't better, they will lose sales. DoneI'm glad that companies are looking at Industrial Design instead of making ugly plastic crap.Regardless hating them isn't going to make Android or Windows products better.[/citation]
Hey. I meant exactly the same thing, that there should be strong competition awaiting Apple by that time. :)

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Yes you are correct. There isn't much to do besides update the hardware. But what you are wrong about is, according the current rumors, Apple is doing the worse of both sides. Going with a MINOR upgrade using the SLOW route.Look at when iPad2 came out and look at when ASUS Transformer tablet came out. The Transformer Prime is launching soon while the "iPad 2S" is launching around March next year. Look at the horsepower upgrade the new Transformer Prime is getting.So Asus is doing a QUICK and MAJOR upgrade, while Apple is doing a SLOW and MINOR upgrade. See the difference?Of course, until Apple releases the official spec of the new iPad 2, these are just all rumors.[/citation]

The difference is that Apple actually sells and Asus doesn't so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.