Report: The 'Real' iPad 3 Not Coming Until Late 2012

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]I disagree. Windows and Android are not selling in a vacuum. Competition puts pressure on all of them to build better products. I'm glad Windows looks like they are figuring out how to compete with Apple and Android.All competition forces these guys to do better. This is capitalism, there are no parties immune to competition. The American auto industry floundered until they had competition from the Japanese. Windows was awful until they realized there is viable competition.Your argument about pricing tells one part of the story. There are people who like premium products and have the money to buy. Mercedes vs Lexus for example. Both will get you from A to B but people pay the premium for a Mercedes because they want to. Currently Mercedes is taking Lexus as competition in it's lower luxury sales market, but a few years ago they didn't think they needed to worry. Apple is under the same pressure from Android and Windows - If they slip up, they lose sales.Industrial design, attention to details, etc make a difference.[/citation]
Problem is Android OS is offering Mercedes quality product at Ford prices, iOS is offering Mercedes quality product at Ferrari prices.
The customers notice this and that's why Android has jumped so high in such a short time frame, Apple will lose this fight badly unless it does one of 2 things, massive product improvement or massive price drop.
Watch this space because neither will happen and Android will be skipping all the way to the virtual monopoly bank.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom] Apple will lose this fight badly unless it does one of 2 things, massive product improvement or massive price drop.Watch this space because neither will happen and Android will be skipping all the way to the virtual monopoly bank.[/citation]

This would be true if you were comparing "like" products, like a Samsung tablet to a Motorola tablet, but most consumers think "tablet" and "ipad" are synonyms. (People ask me all the time which iPad I have when they see my HP Touchpad).

Like it or not, the reality distortion field is very real, and Apple can get away with operating under different rules. Your logic is sound, but Apple is not going to be in any danger as long as it keeps making its customers happy, and most of its customers don't need or care about how many MHz a device has for them to be happy with it.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Easy there, champ. There's no need to get upset over toys, though I can understand how a child like yourself would think otherwise.[/citation]
LOL, I always see in you in every Apple or Android forum whining all upset defending Steve Handjobs and the inferior phone, I mean iphone and iPad. Are you upset that Apple only release one crappy product a year, which means you only get to go wait in line for 8 hours, then get screwed from behind at the checkout counter when you buy there overprice crap? Is is true the soreness only lasts 3 months?

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]Apple milking its hordes or idiots once again!Not really too sure who I should point the finger to, though. Apple who will probably add a couple of gigs of HD space and a new camera and charge $500, or the dumbasses who will flock to buy it.[/citation]

Yeah, just guess, both on what the changes are and how many people will buy it. That's a good argument. You would be right if you were right though, with no changes the iPad would still be clearly the best tablet so logical people would buy it.

[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Longer battery life and a slimmer design? And yet Apple will somehow get record sales on the release day of this "innovative" iPad 2S over the Tegra 3 Android tablets that will be competing against them.[/citation]

As above.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Hardly ridiculous, getting cheaper hardware with more functionality, by the way can we tell Steve Jobs jokes yet? Or is it too Zune.http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hph [...] 852_n.jpg" src="http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hph [...] 52_n.jpg">[/citation]

Cheaper hardware, check. More functionality? Non-check. Worse hardware? Check.

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]This is kinda like Intel's "tick-tock" release cycle. Except Apple's "tock" totally sucks, whereas Intel's is usually awesome.[/citation]

Yeah, the 'tock' of the iPhone 4S which made it the best selling phone of all time, as well as being the fastest phone on the market, anywhere, whilst still having as good battery life, a far far improved camera, iCloud and Siri - representing a far bigger gap than there was between say, the Galaxy S to the Galaxy S2 - just 'sucks', doesn't it.

[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Yes you are correct. There isn't much to do besides update the hardware. But what you are wrong about is, according the current rumors, Apple is doing the worse of both sides. Going with a MINOR upgrade using the SLOW route.Look at when iPad2 came out and look at when ASUS Transformer tablet came out. The Transformer Prime is launching soon while the "iPad 2S" is launching around March next year. Look at the horsepower upgrade the new Transformer Prime is getting.So Asus is doing a QUICK and MAJOR upgrade, while Apple is doing a SLOW and MINOR upgrade. See the difference?Of course, until Apple releases the official spec of the new iPad 2, these are just all rumors.[/citation]

What a ridiculous comment. The iPad 2 is still the best tablet on the market right now, full stop, despite however long it's been since it came out. Just because the competitors have a much easier time making improvements on their failed enhancements doesn't mean Apples continual leadership any less impressive. You're talking about tablets which will be launched, it's all we ever hear from anti-Apple haters. Things that will happen. Just like the Nexus Prime was going to be an iPhone killer - it's hopeless. And yes, you hit the nail on the head, you're basing all this flame on complete rumour. Wheras I am basing it on what the consumer can actually buy. Fastest phone? Iphone. Fastest tablet? Ipad. Simples.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]Like it or not, the reality distortion field is very real, and Apple can get away with operating under different rules. Your logic is sound, but Apple is not going to be in any danger as long as it keeps brainwashing it's customers with marketing hype, and most of its customers don't need or care about how many MHz a device has for them to be happy with it.[/citation]
Fixed that for ya!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Problem is Android OS is offering Mercedes quality product at Ford prices, iOS is offering Mercedes quality product at Ferrari prices.The customers notice this and that's why Android has jumped so high in such a short time frame, Apple will lose this fight badly unless it does one of 2 things, massive product improvement or massive price drop.Watch this space because neither will happen and Android will be skipping all the way to the virtual monopoly bank.[/citation]

In the tablet world, there is absolutely no comparison between Android and iOS. Which is why Android tablets simply aren't selling, at all. They are failing and/or getting banned because they are blatant rip-offs with a massively inferior app store (a key part of any tablets functionality), and also have worse battery life and performance. Android hasn't jumped high in the tablet market at all. And making so many 'sales' of Android is hardly impressive when it's free, even when you take into account the fact it's less secure and performs worse.

As for 'Android monopoly' yeah, there'll be a string of 20 companies all forcing each others prices to almost no profit margin sharing that 'monopoly', and paying royalties to Microsoft and Google while they're at it. Not such a massive barrier to entry when every other company can use exactly the same software as you. Even if what you say happens, Apple will still make more profit than any of them.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Cheaper hardware, check. More functionality? Non-check. Worse hardware? Check[/citation]
Play devils advocate for 5 minutes, do a bit of research and come back with a list of 10 things that an Android or a Windows tablet can do that an Apple tablet cannot, because most of us already know and i'm sure both of our detractors are already lookig to either support or refute the claim either way.

I'll get the ball rolling shall I?
1) Play HD .MKV movies / TV shows, usually torrented

Surely you can think of 9 more, it can't be that difficult

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom] 1) Play HD .MKV movies / TV shows, usually torrentedSurely you can think of 9 more, it can't be that difficult[/citation]

The one thing you list, though accurate, refers to using the device to view content obtained illegally (torrent). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that citing features that facilitate piracy "don't count".

The Touchpad does a lot of things the iPad doesn't, but I have found that when comparing the things they both do, the iPad does them better. I still prefer WebOS to iOS, though, and hope Microsoft acquires it, as Windows 8 on a tablet with a blend of WebOS would be rad.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom] What a ridiculous comment.The iPad 2 is still the best tablet on the market right now, full stop, despite however long it's been since it came out. Just because the competitors have a much easier time making improvements on their failed enhancements doesn't mean Apples continual leadership any less impressive. You're talking about tablets which will be launched, it's all we ever hear from anti-Apple haters. Things that will happen. Just like the Nexus Prime was going to be an iPhone killer - it's hopeless. And yes, you hit the nail on the head, you're basing all this flame on complete rumour. Wheras I am basing it on what the consumer can actually buy. Fastest phone? Iphone. Fastest tablet? Ipad. Simples.[/citation]

Watcha and getreal at it again with there 30 worthless posts. I like how you keep saying the iPhone and the iPad are the best Bla Bla Bla...... but have no proof except your stupid opinion and you back it up by number of sales. Hanna Montana had killer sales, so it makes her music and products the best. Right according to your way of thinking? Android variety of 40 phones outsells the iPhone 2 to 1.

The iPhone and iPad can never state they are the best when they don't support 4G or Adobe Flash. You have no idea how many websites require flash. Do you know how many Universities websites require flash that you cant use on a stupid iphone or ipad.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]The one thing you list, though accurate, refers to using the device to view content obtained illegally (torrent). I'm going to go out on a limb and say that citing features that facilitate piracy "don't count".The Touchpad does a lot of things the iPad doesn't, but I have found that when comparing the things they both do, the iPad does them better. I still prefer WebOS to iOS, though, and hope Microsoft acquires it, as Windows 8 on a tablet with a blend of WebOS would be rad.[/citation]
Way to go changing the subject, attempting to undermine my post and still not answer the question, you should be a lawyer.
Me picking a technically illegal usage should make this easier for you, now you only have to find 9 legitimate uses, but actually since Subaru41 already beat you to 2 other:-

2) 4G
3) Flash

So try again, this must be a doddle for you, because now both you and Watcha (assuming you are different people) only have 7 other things to think of between you, but since that's not fair I will make it an even number down to 3 each with this:-

4) Install any USB printer ever made without any fancy networking on your Windows tablet

C'mon, play devil's advocate, are you so bitter and insecure that you can't bare to admit that the iPad is less functional than a Windows tablet?

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Way to go changing the subject, attempting to undermine my post and still not answer the question, you should be a lawyer.Me picking a technically illegal usage should make this easier for you, now you only have to find 9 legitimate uses, but actually since Subaru41 already beat you to 2 other:-2) 4G3) FlashSo try again, this must be a doddle for you, because now both you and Watcha (assuming you are different people) only have 7 other things to think of between you, but since that's not fair I will make it an even number down to 3 each with this:-4) Install any USB printer ever made without any fancy networking on your Windows tabletC'mon, play devil's advocate, are you so bitter and insecure that you can't bare to admit that the iPad is less functional than a Windows tablet?[/citation]

I agree with you 100%. I prefer the android tablet over the Windows, but I cannot deny the Windows tablet is the best especially in my line of work dealing with website and software development. I am waiting for my work to buy me a windows 8 tablet and I cant wait to run dual operating systems with Android.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]I agree with you 100%. I prefer the android tablet over the Windows, but I cannot deny the Windows tablet is the best especially in my line of work dealing with website and software development. I am waiting for my work to buy me a windows 8 tablet and I cant wait to run dual operating systems with Android.[/citation]
See now you're getting it, and thanks for not blowing another item on the "ten things iPad can't do" list, life's more fun that way

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom] WALL OF TEXT.[/citation]

I think you are trying to start an argument where one doesn't exist. I have never stated in any post that an Apple product is "more functional" than an Android or Windows product, just that I believe Android sucks. I was merely stating that listing features that facilitate piracy are weak arguments.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]I have never stated in any post that an Apple product is "more functional" than an Android or Windows product[/citation]
Agreed, you didn't but your alter-ego did
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Cheaper hardware, check. More functionality? Non-check.[/citation]
I did refer to his post, or was it yours? I can't tell the difference between you anymore, can you?
Up till that point I never mentioned you, but you stuck your oar in the water and started paddling, so how about I don't have an argument with you, seeing as you're such a swell guy an all, and Watch comes back for a bit to back up the claim of "more functional, non-check" with something a bit more substantial that rainbows and fairy dust?

10 items, 4 already checked off, let's have 6 more

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Tel you what, i'll meet you half way, i'll do another and then it's 5 down, 5 to go - fair?

5) Apps

Apps being little iddy biddy computer programs, the App Store has about 600,000 apps, that is VERY impressive, even if you don't count the 700 fart apps

But that is dwarfed by the 4 million "programs" (let's call them what they really are) that can run on Windows

And that doesn't include games, which the App Store does, so add every PC game ever made to the list of Windows programs, or deduct all the games from the App Store to get a real comparative number.

5 down, 5 to go

Status
Not open for further replies.