Repurpose my old powered sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018
I have a new garage system A speakers mounted inside my garage, B speakers mounted outside my garage facing the backyard. I want a little extra low end and have two unused, powered subs that were part of standalone systems. One is a wireless sub from a soundbar system I don't use anymore (but it rocks), the other is the sub from the wired Klipsch 2.1 promedia. The Klipsch would probably be easier to rig, but not sure either would be ideal. I'm just hesitant to purchase a new sub when I have two existing, and great-sounding subs in near-new condition. Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
The wireless sub could be tricky. There is a receiver in there and an amp. You want to tap into the lines in between the receiver and the amp. This MAY not even be possible depending how it all is physically.

As far as the Klipsh. I don't really "get" what you mean with the crossover. From what I'm seeing....the sub takes an unfiltered signals through the DB9 connector. So basically just send it the left and right signals and you should be good to go. You can hook the satellites up or leave them unhooked.

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

That's the intention, but I need ideas/advice on whether it's even possible. My previous research has told me no, but the inner engineer in me tells me there has to be a way. There is no input on the wireless sub as it was dedicated to the soundbar. So I don't know how, but I'd need to hack the speaker somehow. I don't care if it remains wireless. The Klipsch 2.1 sub is wired, but is also dedicated to the two satellite speakers as one of them has a built in crossover. I was considering removing the crossover from the speaker that has it and running one of my outputs through it, to the sub. The sub has speaker out ports, so i'd just run my speakers from the sub instead of from my receiver. Again, don't know if any of this is possible.

The wireless sub could be tricky. There is a receiver in there and an amp. You want to tap into the lines in between the receiver and the amp. This MAY not even be possible depending how it all is physically.

As far as the Klipsh. I don't really "get" what you mean with the crossover. From what I'm seeing....the sub takes an unfiltered signals through the DB9 connector. So basically just send it the left and right signals and you should be good to go. You can hook the satellites up or leave them unhooked.

Solution

rtcarey

Commendable
Mar 6, 2018

Very helpful, thank you. I'll just leave the wireless sub alone for now. -- I think I was just using the wrong terminology. I was referring to what Klipsch calls the control pod (image attached), as a crossover. Audio comes into the control pod, which is attached to one of the satellite speakers, via a 3.5 audio cable. Then out to the sub through the DB9 cable. The Klipsch satellite speakers (which I'm not using) would then be connected to the sub. So now it looks like I have two options unless you see another.

1. Do I bypass the control pod and get some adapter for L/R audio to connect to my receiver, then the DB9 to the sub (or possibly even splice the existing cable if that's possible)? Would I lose my L/R channels and just get mono if I did this?

2. Or do I keep the control pod and get an adapter for the 3.5 male, which I'd connect to my receiver, and then out to the sub? If yes, should I connect my speakers to the outs on the sub, or keep them connected to the receiver?

20170724_131935_2823.jpg.jpg

I'm not sure what the control pod is all about. The pic doesn't seem attached btw...but that doesn't matter.

If you don't use the control pod...

Go from the L/R line out on the receiver to the DB9. You may be able to splice the existing cable.

I don't think you will lose L/R because L/R has to be sent to the subwoofer so it can go to the satellites.

OR

Do what you said in #2.

As far as connecting your speakers to the sub or the receiver...I'd do whatever sounds better.

Status
Not open for further replies.