Restaurant Replaces Paper-Based Menus with iPads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Why would they buy an Ipad for that they should just use like the cheapest color touch screen tablet w androud or just a picture viewer.......

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Matt I would have to say that the reason the ipad is getting so much attention now versus the tablets that have been around for such a long time is easy to understand if you take a few point into consideration.
1. Aesthetics: apple products tend to be appealing to allot of consumers. I don’t personally care for their "look" however the average consumer seems to love it.
2. Ease of use/simplicity: As any PC guy/girl knows apple controls their products with an iron fist. They make the products very easy to use and understand. Personally I would rather have the control but I can understand how most consumers just want a tech solution that um *works*.
3. Elitism: Apple charges a premium price for most of their products. They are no different than any big name vendor out there. I compare them to Coach. High price tags and some flashy big arse C on the bag but when you turn it over it still says "Made in China". People love to feel elite. This is why people buy products like this. They can argue all they want but in the end they know its the truth (just wont admit it).

This is most likely no cheap restaurant. I am sure the check reaches or exceeds $200 USD for two people. I could not imagine this being implemented into any run of the mill place.

Anyhow that’s my opinion on it.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I can see it now. (with a cynicalism of my own)

Fattening unhealthy great tasting menu
Hamburger $69.95
add Cheese $9.95
add Bacon $9.95
French Fries $39.50 (we cook'em in Lard, they taste GREAT!)
Coke $27.00

Good for you blah tasting stuff
Tuna Sandwich $48.00
with a Pickle $8.95
Brown Rice $44.50
Barley Soup $60.50
Ice Water $26.00

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]Why would they buy an Ipad for that they should just use like the cheapest color touch screen tablet w androud or just a picture viewer.......[/citation]
Because a picture viewer doesn't provide you access to the information mentioned in the article that you didn't read.

I personally think this is a great idea, but he'll want to make sure he buys protective extras in case of clumsy customers and greasy fingers.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
There is a resturant here in Okinawa, Japan that had an electronic menu for the past 5 years or so. You place your orders from the menu and the waiter will bring your food/drinks when its ready. You can even split the bill on it if you want to.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
so lemme get this straight.... if it cost them lets say 40 cents to print a colour menu and laminate it and it cost them $499 for each Ipad how the HELL is that cost effective??? That just seems plain stupid to me.

Railgun1369

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Wrong. More than the fact that this is an iPad, it's about the advancement and proliferation of technology over more traditional standards(paper.) The article isn't really focused on the "wonders of the new shiny Apple product" but more on how tech is playing an increasingly big role in places where it usually doesn't at all. And of the course the opposition from old schoolers.[/citation]

Of course it is. There have been table top, point of use devices for a few years now. This is nothing new. Go to a National Restaurant Association show and you'll see a good 10 companies that do just that.

ryan156

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
better idea is touch screens built into the tables, maybe windows surface etc. hard to steal an entire table discretely, especially if its bolted to the floor.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]sactownbwoy[/nom]There is a resturant here in Okinawa, Japan that had an electronic menu for the past 5 years or so. You place your orders from the menu and the waiter will bring your food/drinks when its ready. You can even split the bill on it if you want to.[/citation]

I live in Okinawa as well. You're not talking about the type of restaurants that you order from "vending machines" are you?

If not, where is this restaurant? lol

derrickwmartin

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Now if you could order from it and cut out the prick waiter you sometimes get, it might be worth it.. but it's still an apple product.. fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS