Restaurant Replaces Paper-Based Menus with iPads

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And this is why Australia lost in the World Cup. They chose Apple.

G

please its enough with this ipad sh*t.... getting really tired... stop promoting ipad guys......

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Wrong. More than the fact that this is an iPad, it's about the advancement and proliferation of technology over more traditional standards(paper.) The article isn't really focused on the "wonders of the new shiny Apple product" but more on how tech is playing an increasingly big role in places where it usually doesn't at all. And of the course the opposition from old schoolers.+1 for haunted one. The article title let you know EXACTLY what you were clicking on, so why did you if all you planned on doing was complaining?[/citation]

What advancment are you talking about when Windows Based Tablet of the same size is way more advanced than the iPad and cost less? If I was the restuarant's owner I can think of a million other things that I can use the power of a true PC Tablet over the iPad. And like others have said, tablets and such technology has been around for over 10+ yrs now. iPad is just an oversize iPhone.

tinnerdxp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
It's actually a brilliant use for the ipads... shame it must be branded with apple logo, shame it needs to be so expensive... and shame nobody came up with that earlier using atom based devices... that could be programmed for WAY less than $40k

wave84

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]matt314[/nom]Why is it that tablets have been around for almost a decade, running software alot more useful than a phone OS, and apple is getting all this credit?[/citation]

Because you (and most of Tom's readers) still don't understand that tablets are NOT supposed to be PC/laptop replacements (at least not until speech recognition will be perfect). A tablet should not have a full blown OS and should not be intended to be used for most of the things you do on a full blown OS like Windows. A tablet doesn't need multitasking, tons of RAM, or the ability for you geeks to install Photoshop, AutoCad or SSH clients. Seriously, enough already.

A tablet is all about interface and ease of use. Weight, screen quality, performance and looks come close after. Because a tablet's primary role is to display, to present information, to allow the easiest possible way for a potential viewer to read that information.

Expect to see them a lot more in the following years, with all kinds of uses - from restaurants to hospitals, from schools to car services.

And to finally answer your question, Apple is getting all the credit because they understood all of the above and they got it right.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I kind of like this idea...I'd love to read all about the wine I'm about to order, where it comes from, what to note when you're drinking it. Other things like links to other product, with this dish you should get this or that wine. I also like to know what's in the dish (ingredients, kcal's etc.) They could also add the chefs commend on the dish. So all info you'll (n)ever going to need about all products you're going to eat. I really wouldn't what this on paper: "Here you go sir, the menu.." *gives you 200 page menu book

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Its not really about the cost its about an effective use of technology to enhance the customers dining experience. Seems a reasonably good use of an iPad, despite what all the "lets jump on the slating Apple bandwagon" say. :)

rmmil978

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Sorry, I'm all for using technology in new and innovative ways...but this is just a really stupid waste of money. I mean, does anyone really look at a menu and go "Hmm, I love the food here, but what I REALLY want to do is order my food on a digital screen!" (Because I'm a dumb ass)

taiso

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
customer: 2 coffees and an ipad to go please. oh and could you bring the check?
waiter/waitress: 2 coffees coming right up!
waiter/waitress: sir would you like cream with....sir? boss we lost the last ipad...
owner: that's coming off your paycheck.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
That's simply great - user interface is painfully backwards nowadays, and i personally find menus utterly uninformative - if you haven't come for a specific meal it's always a shot in the dark for me. I'd have to aggree that the iPad is slightly overkill, but It's the only mature enough platform to create apps of this kind.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cabose369[/nom]so lemme get this straight.... if it cost them lets say 40 cents to print a colour menu and laminate it and it cost them $499 for each Ipad how the HELL is that cost effective??? That just seems plain stupid to me.[/citation]
Well, tell me the whole iSomething hype is erm... something smart.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]wave84[/nom]A tablet should not have a full blown OS...[/citation]
Because you also gotta by Mac to connect your tablet to. Right. Makes perfect sense.

Good to know, while I was going to, Jobbs forbid, buy one of those Windows 7 tablets.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]BananaPikachu[/nom]Here we go again.Another "Someone uses an ipad/iphone to do something completely irrelevant" article[/citation]
+ 1,000
I would really LOVE to know why Tom's does these types of articles.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
For those more interested by the Pearl restaurant than by bashing Apple:

http://www.pearlrestaurant.com.au/

Awarded Two Chef’s Hats - The Age Good Food Guide Awards 2007-2010
http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/epicure/restaurant-review/pearl/2009/11/09/1257614995511.html

I have been there, it is a nice place.
You can look for the menus, they are not that expensive for a good restaurant.

And for those who said that it should be a good place for burglars ... you have never been there. If they have not changed, they have a big thick automated glass door that opens slowly and it is closed behind you so you can not go in the restaurant and run out with an ipad.

It is much more secure than a normal Apple store.

For info I am not an Iphone/Ipad fan boy, I prefer more open platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.