Retrieving files from Sony Personal Safe (SWP / UEA File Extension)

ishan001

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop (running Win 7 Professional x 64) which came with the Protector Suite 2009 software by UPEK Inc. The software creates a 'Sony Safe' encrypted folder on the computer which can be accessed by fingerprint swipe or the backup password created in the software. The company no longer exists and as a result there is no support officially available for this program.

Now, I have figured that the encrypted file of the safe is stored in C:\Users\User Name\App Data\Roaming\Protector Suite\psqlsa.swp

In the event of a hard drive failure, I need to know how do to retrieve the data from this file from another computer using the backup password? The protector suite software does not work on all the computers.

I read on one forum that UPEK Inc. had instructed the user to rename the psqlsa.swp file to personalsafe.uea and then access is with the Protector Suite program.

In the event that the computer crashes, could someone please instruct me how we can extract our files from the .swp or .uea file on another computer using the backup password (I have a backup of the swp file)? The data may need to be extracted on another computer which is not a Sony Vaio so it may not be possible to install Protector Suite.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Ijack

Distinguished
Extract the files now, whilst the hard disk is working, and don't use that encrypted folder in future. Simple.

It's lucky that you had the sense to foresee possible problems whilst you still have free access to the files.

ishan001

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014

Thank you for the answer. As off now, I have taken the backup of the files on an external encrypted usb disk. The reason for using the encrypted folder is that there are important documents which are confidential.

Hope there is an alternative method to recover files.

TRENDING THREADS