Review: Four NAS Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

malici0usc0de

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
One of the things I would like to see in a NAS before I actually purchase one is hardware encryption of some sort. It would be nice to know if the unit were stolen that the data on it couldn't be accessed without proper credentials of some sort. For this very reason I still choose to run my storage from a real PC is so I can fully encrypt all the drives.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Ignoring price for the moment, I would love to see these, or some other future NAS boxes assessed in a RAID 0+1 configuration, where u get the benefits of both striping, and redundancy. Four 1TB drives though, only to end up with 1/2 the total storage of 2TB is a b*tch though, I know... =)

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
There are 4-6 drive NAS enclosures out there relatively affordable.

Do yourself a favor - if you're interested in Network Storage, DON'T get a 2 Drive appliance. Get a larger unit and populated it as funds allow. Something like the Intel ss4200-e ($160-$200), 4 drives.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Good article. Obviously these commercial solutions are nice. For pure interest sake, I'd love to see a NAS DIY build thrown in to see performance and usability comparisons. A lot of us have spare stuff around to build one minus the hard drives. Thanks for the review though.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
just do a google search on NAS DYI review and you will find several sites dedicated to NAS reviews and comparisons. There are so many ways out there to build one depending on which OS you plan on using.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Why not build your own NAS from a cheap computer using OpenSolaris and ZFS? That's what I would do if I need to extend my storage capacity. ZFS also offers features that are way more reliable than what RAID can offer.

G

I was disappointed not to see my ReadyNAS Duo in the line-up; I think it easily matches the features, it has an active community producnig "add-ons" e.g. in development is a feature for ip security cameras, there's one to stream music over the net, there's an itunes server, at least 3 torrent clients, plenty of local media streaming, as well as normal stuff like storage, RAID, UPS support, backup management

G

What the hell is this reviewer talking about. I just purchased the Lacie NS2 - i have a constant transfer rate of 11 MB/s over my LAN using a Dlink Dir-635 router standard G.

G

This review is just plain wrong. I recieved my Lacie NS2 a few days ago, and the speed is fine.
I use mine on a gigabit lan, and my speed is around 30 MB/s read, and 20 MB/s write on a normal explorer transfer.

G

There is a huge difference between the NetworkSpace 2 and NetworkSpace Generation 1. The first/older model has a ridiculous transfer rate. I can confirm the 4 MB/s measured here.

Status
Not open for further replies.