Rewiring headphones to fix no sound. Works...but

z0mb13m4n

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I have a pair of Dr. Dre Beats Solo HD headphones. I got them for $30 about a year ago. I'm quite fond of them, and i like working with electronics. My right side speaker stopped working after awhile, so i took them apart to fix them. I've replaced the speaker, headphone plug, and the wires going from speaker to speaker. The problem i'm having, is the right side speaker produces no bass and significantly quieter than the left side. The left side speaker has the headphone plug connected to it with less than an inch of wiring. The right side has about 4-5 inches of wiring connecting it to the headphone plug. When i swap the speaker the problem remains the same. What am i doing wrong? I'm almost positive this was the same length of wire used in the original set up.

Solution
Length has nothing to do with it. Sounds like (rofl) you have either a partial short in your new wiring or plug connection: Check to see that no single strand of wire is touching where it should not be and make sure that you have not swapped ground and signal wires when you rewired. What I mean by this is that the wire coming from the tip of the plug needs to connect to the same speaker terminal on both speakers. The tip is common to both speakers while the upper two represent the left and right signal. If you mis-wired them it would cause what you are experiencing. The other possibility is that signal coming from the system is out of balance. Check your audio setting to make sure the balance is even and no other settings have changed.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Length has nothing to do with it. Sounds like (rofl) you have either a partial short in your new wiring or plug connection: Check to see that no single strand of wire is touching where it should not be and make sure that you have not swapped ground and signal wires when you rewired. What I mean by this is that the wire coming from the tip of the plug needs to connect to the same speaker terminal on both speakers. The tip is common to both speakers while the upper two represent the left and right signal. If you mis-wired them it would cause what you are experiencing. The other possibility is that signal coming from the system is out of balance. Check your audio setting to make sure the balance is even and no other settings have changed.

Solution

z0mb13m4n

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
This is the Plug: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monster-Beats-by-Dr-Dre-SOLO-HD-Headphones-Replacement-audio-jack-port-plug-/200910502006?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item2ec732f876

http://www.ebay.com/itm/beats-by-dr-dre-Solo-HD-Left-Pink-Speaker-orig-parts-/221334881478?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item33889644c6
And that's the speaker, with the plug attached. I have it set up similar. With the right speaker following the same way. both ground parts of plug go to the left terminal, and the L-R parts to their respective speakers right terminal.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Just to be sure can you reverse the wires that go from speaker to speaker? Just guessing here that since one is right and one is left they may be reverse of each other. Is it correct that you did nothing to the wire that connects the headphones to the system audio port?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Can you try the headset on another system, radio, phone, anything? Is the off sounding speaker the original or new one? If you only connect the off sounding one does it still sound wrong? Since another set sounds good with the attaching wiring, you have verified the sound source and the wire. One of the two speakers sounds wrong and never sounds right. That speaker is the issue. Even if it is the new one, it is possible that it is damaged. Also if it was sold by the factory give them a call to verify that the impedance of the new one is the same as the original.

Iippari7

Estimable
Jun 20, 2015

I have much bigger problem. My Headphones don't even work. i think wires are like broken or something. IDK PLS H3LP

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013

I would suggest making a new thread and describing your problem in more detail.