RIAA Says Google Doesn't Do Enough to Fight Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
The RIAA thinks everyone should turn in their children, spouses, friends and whoever else if they may have made a copy of anything ever. All those who copied and recorded custom CD's should go to jail by their standards. To hell with the fact that being able to mix, match and mod up song/lists made the reel to reel tape, cassettte tape and CD media industry what it is today. The RIAA should push for the recording industry to die and go back to only live performances. Make it illegal for artists to record. If they did not record a dozen pieces of crap for every decent song then we might not want to pick and choose. Ya make it illegal to put out anything that is no RIAA judged to be perfect. These folks are plain crazy. They are asking LimeWire for damages that exceed the total amount of money in the world. Let the industry police it's own house and work out a fair distribution of royalties to artists for replays and showings of their work. The same for composers and writers. Now that American Idol is the industry defacto developer of new musical talent who gives a shit RIAA what you think. Where do you get the huge sums of money you are spending on legal fees?

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
DOWN WITH THE RIAA and MPAA!

Just for their efforts I hope more people pirate causing the RIAA, MPAA, and Record Labels to lose EVERYTHING they have.

If you want to help follow the steps below:
- Get a VPN
- Encrypt your HDD with TrueCrypt or BitLocker
- Use PeerBlock when downloading
- Use TorBrowser to surf pirate sites
- Use Eraser to permanently erase pirated files when your done with them
- Use magnet links for torrents and enable full stream encryption and random ports
- Use OpenDNS instead of your ISPs DNS

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
When Google stops cooperating then what RIAA? I don't think RIAA has any legal basis to force Google to cooperate since they are a search engine so they are not actually hosting the copyrighted material?

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I do not believe Google is the one to blame for the prevalence of piracy. Google is merely a search engine, like asking a librarian for a book on a given topic, the librarian goes to the card catalog or pulls from their memory and directs us. A librarian would not be at fault for directing me to a book about bomb making if I ended up making a bomb. However, the person who wrote the book (artist), the publishers (uploader), and possibly the library (distribution website) for shelving the book (hosting the material) could be held liable to some degree.
The request that Google take down the whole site from its search results is also preposterous, this would eliminate the display of results for non-copyrighted material on that site along with copyrighted material. The site itself is partially liable for the material it hosts, but ultimately they too are only offering a service which can be taken advantage of, as in the librarian example.
I do not blame the RIAA for wanting to protect its copyrighted material, otherwise why have a copyright? However, I think the RIAA needs a scape-goat and Google (the most widely used search engine) is fulfilling that role at this point, with much resistance. The real culprit is the uploaders, but since anyone can legally buy the material then illegally upload it, there will always be someone uploading as long as there is somewhere to upload to. Uploading is not the problem however, there are countless legitimate uses for uploading material to the internet, as too for downloading.
Ultimately the only way to stop pirating would be to filter each upload on the internet and scan for copyrighted material. Problem is, there are innumerable uploads each month and copyrighted material may be in any number of file formats thus making the task of scanning for copyrighted material so daunting it could not be done within the budget of perceived loss of sales. I say perceived because the courts have already ruled that a download does not constitute a lost sale; there are plenty of things I wouldn't buy unless it were free (essentially everything intangible) and as a result I utilize alternate paths of consuming them such as internet radio, which is not free since I pay for internet access and "pay" for the internet radio by advertisements but it is legal.
Just my two cents, feel free to agree or disagree.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]It's Not google's job![/citation]
You hit the nail on the head; RIAA is not paying Google for the time and effort that all this involves, therefore Google is not on their payroll and not obligated in any way to comply with this BS. Furthermore, RIAA is not saying anything about other search engines, making one believe that they are going to try some legal action in the future against whoever has more money, i.e. Google.
RIAA and MPAA need to disappear.

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
[citation][nom]DogSnake[/nom]These folks are plain crazy. They are asking LimeWire for damages that exceed the total amount of money in the world.[/citation]
Reminds me of childhood..."I'm telling, you owe me all the money in the world!"

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Google is a company who goes about its own business legally and complies with the law (well, except maybe for that WiFi snooping business but I digress).

It isn't Google's job to go about actively enforcing the *IAA's intellectual monopolies for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.