RIAA Says Google Doesn't Do Enough to Fight Piracy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I propose hitting them where it hurts, a lot. I propose going through all of 2013 without buying a CD, DVD, BluRay, movie tickets, or concert tickets. Just boycott buying anything movie or music related for a whole year. Make them hurt bad. Maybe they'll begin to listen to their customers then.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
While they're at it, might as well throw in some other blames like: Gun manufacturers are not doing enough to stop people from killing each other.

Anybody else see the problem with the logic of this arguement?

RIAA: go F yourself, you've earned it

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]v90k[/nom]Uhmm I don't know where you get your figures from but if you're trying to say that artists get paid about $20 an hour then there's something wrong with you. They're more off of salary and contracts, which divided up into months/years/hours, doesn't not amount up to what i think your trying to say.[/citation]

any decent musician makes more money than most people who have a 30-40$ an hour job

Steelwing

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Google should just buy up all of these music companies so they don't have to deal with the problem anymore. Maybe they'd even do something crazy like update and improve the music industry for the digital age instead of holding onto a failing business model and screwing over artists.

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Let me say that again to you, RIAA: Go F yourself.
If I was Google, you gotta have a court order for me to do anything for you.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I vote against RIAA / MPAA with my wallet, their labels/actors haven't got a dime in the past two years seeing where the money goes!

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
RIAA attempted to sue individuals who used kazaa for more than entire earth's GDP.

Since now pirates make use of google to pirate contents, MPAA/RIAA should sue Google for the same amount.

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]While they're at it, might as well throw in some other blames like: Gun manufacturers are not doing enough to stop people from killing each other.Anybody else see the problem with the logic of this arguement?RIAA: go F yourself, you've earned it[/citation]

Bin Laden is very proud of you. May I suggest that we all still do buy tickets, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays or go to concerts from non MPAA/RIAA artists instead?

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I propose hitting them where it hurts, a lot. I propose going through all of 2013 without buying a CD, DVD, BluRay, movie tickets, or concert tickets. Just boycott buying anything movie or music related for a whole year. Make them hurt bad. Maybe they'll begin to listen to their customers then.[/citation]

Bin Laden is very proud of you. May I suggest that we all still do buy tickets, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays or go to concerts from non MPAA/RIAA artists instead?

andy_newton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
[citation][nom]andy_newton[/nom]Bin Laden is very proud of you. May I suggest that we all still do buy tickets, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays or go to concerts from non MPAA/RIAA artists instead?[/citation]

Citated the wrong comment and can not erase. Sorry.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I honestly think Google is doing too much to fight piracy. Removing bogus copyright claims on YouTube, censoring search results, etc. Seriously, Tara put up an HD video of the song Nemo (presumably because the label put up one with shitty quality), and record company filed a copyright complaint and it got removed... Tara put up a video of a song SHE sung and it got removed due to copyright... Seriously, these label companies can kiss my ass. And I think Google needs a reminder of who they serve (It isn't the label companies).

FinneousPJ

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
This is quite ridiculous. Google is a search engine. If it doesn't provide me with results when I search, I will have to switch to another search engine. What the publishers need to do is focus on their own business and adapting to the new world.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
One needs to consider these numbers and Google’s activities in context," he said. "Google says it received requests to remove 1.2 million links from 1000 copyright owners in one month. But consider that Google has identified nearly 5 million new links posted in just the last month in searches for free mp3 downloads of just the top 10 Billboard tracks
So for every take down request they get, 4 more appear in its place
If RIAA thinks Google isn't doing enough, maybe they could supply a few thousand staff to process the workload
No???
Then STFU!!!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It would seem the RIAA/MPAA want us back to the stone age, im sure they will try at google, the internet itself and then perhaps the post office... after all they can all be used for getting pirated material!

Screw them for not realizing that its a new millennium with new opportunity's with the new technology, those that can't grasp it will die out like everything that is evolving!

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
maybe that's because google thinks the RIAA is fuckin retarded, not unlike everybody who doesn't work for the RIAA.

Seriously, I respect police officers, I respect law enforcement agencies, Hell, most of the time I even respect the government and what they're trying to do (at least openly) but organizations like the RIAA, and MPAA are so twisted ass backward.

They almost need to flush the whole system and start with people who actually know what's going on, and could deliver a new content system that would work for the consumer and the producer. It seems like in the last few years, Film media has become less and less of a value. You go to a theatre and it's standard fare to pay 30 bucks after a popcorn, drink and entry fee for 2 hours entertainment for 2 people, and you still have to sit through 15 minutes of ads.

You buy a disney DVD that literally always cost 20-25 bucks off the shelf (those suckers never price drop, I swear) and there is probably 20 minutes of promotional content that is often unskippable. Add that to a noticable and marked decline in the overall quality of filmmaking, and it's no wonder people don't want to shell out 20 bucks for a copy of "dinner with schmucks" they'll watch maybe twice and throw in a closet.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
We should have a law(like some other countries already have) that requires a non negotiable $25-30 dollar "inspection" fee that RIAA/MPAA and other copyright trolls will have to pay google or other company that is required to waste its resoursec to investigate a take down claim. As it is now RIAA/MPAA and other copyright trolls abuse the hell out of it and have been caught taking down absolutely legit pages that had nothing to do with piracy.
I hope copyright trolls all burn in a fiery depths of hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.