Right channel on DarkVoice 336se is stubborn

True Buie

Commendable
Aug 29, 2016
Heyo people

Some time ago I acquired my first real tube amplifier. I've had some hybrids tubes beforehand, however never felt like I got the "tube" sound, and boy didn't I get that. So I bought my Darkvoice 336se and I LOVED it. They really made my HD800's come alive. However... Now the right channel won't work on it :s
It started cutting out when getting too hot in the start, however I just opened my window and it could run for hours. But time caught on maybe 2 months ago the right channel totally cut out. So I'm back to my usual solid state amplifier :|

I've tried troubleshooting a little;
1) Tried different headphones to check if the headphone was the problem. No. My HD800's are just fine. All my headphones have the right channel cut on the Darkvoice.

2) Changed out RCA cables. Tried 3 different cables just to be sure and shure enough the problem's still there.

3) Tried another DAC. Thought maybe my DAC was the source of the problem, but no once again.

4) Cleaning out the right channel on the Darkvoice. Still nothing :|

I've pretty much nailed it down to the actual RCA connection on the DarkVoice. I think there might a loose connection or something, however tbh I don't feel like opening a tube amplifier. Heard a little too many horror stories of people doing it and failing miserably. And by that I mean getting electrocuted or something.

I've been in the audio game for some time, however troubleshooting amps ain't my cup of tea. Therefore I decided to ask here to see if some could help me out.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I LOVED the tube sound I got from it. Even bought new tubes for it lol.

Cheers

Solution
I wouldn't be too afraid to open the amp up. Especially if you suspect its a loose connection on an RCA jack. That may be very easy to repair.

Just make sure it's unplugged and give it a few minutes for the caps to discharge before you go poking around.
I wouldn't be too afraid to open the amp up. Especially if you suspect its a loose connection on an RCA jack. That may be very easy to repair.

Just make sure it's unplugged and give it a few minutes for the caps to discharge before you go poking around.

Solution