RIM CEO: We're Not in a Death Spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
What does "LOSS" exactly mean? Loss of respect, loss of money, loss of innocence or loss of virginity?

It appears that RIM is not loosing money... sooo? If Microsoft fails to sell billions of copies of Vista, then nobody cries loudly: Microsoft makes huge losses and they are gonna die.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, RIM is declining swiftly but its not dead yet.
Between Android, iOS, Firefox OS and Windows Phone OS its going to be slim pickings from here on out.
I've had several family members ditch their beloved Blackberry for Androids or i Phones and couldn't be happier at the improved speed and expanded functionality of their devices.
My cousin works at an international heating and cooling manufacturer that shall remain nameless that just threw out everything RIM and went Android (she had to train the sales staff and accounting staff how to use their new phones) and the employees there were practically doing back flips from joy.
RIM WAS cutting edge and a major innovator who revolutionized smart phones but instead of trying to keep ahead they rested on their laurels it it's caught up with them. It's going to take a major system overhaul and some cutting edge hardware to get them back in the game or else they're toast in 2 years tops.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Yes, RIM is declining swiftly but its not dead yet.
Between Android, iOS, Firefox OS and Windows Phone OS its going to be slim pickings from here on out.
I've had several family members ditch their beloved Blackberry for Androids or i Phones and couldn't be happier at the improved speed and expanded functionality of their devices.
My cousin works at an international heating and cooling manufacturer that shall remain nameless that just threw out everything RIM and went Android (she had to train the sales staff and accounting staff how to use their new phones) and the employees there were practically doing back flips from joy.
RIM WAS cutting edge and a major innovator who revolutionized smart phones but instead of trying to keep ahead they rested on their laurels it it's caught up with them. It's going to take a major system overhaul and some cutting edge hardware to get them back in the game or else they're toast in 2 years tops.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
We all know how it goes. They will deny it first, then they'll blame someone (competition, patents, the press, etc.), and finally they'll make a deal. You just don't push your main product 8 months into the future and say "nothing is wrong".

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]Heins[/nom]There's nothing wrong with the company as it exists right now[/citation]
There's something wrong with almost all companies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
I understand how hard it was for RIM because they catered to businesses who need stability and not drastic changes. In order for RIM to stay ahead of the curve they would have had to produce a completely separate smartphone tailored to Joe Multimedia consumer and wait see if it gets adopted by it's business clients so as not to alienate them with drastic change.

What they need to do now is adopt Meego or Android in a fashion like the Boeing Corp. is doing now with Android for government and military contractors and build their services on top of that in a secure business friendly way. Even if it was not compatible with Google's Android they would still be ahead of where they are now.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Meego is dead. RIM is next.

@tobalaz: What friends that have BB and one of the companies I work for have BBs... they have all gone Android or iPhone a long time ago. None of them them miss BB. In the company, they went to iPhone when the 2nd version came out. Most are now on the 4, a few on the 3Gs.

We can't really expect the CEO to start crying saying "we're in a DREATH SPIRAL ! Please buy our stuff!" now can we?

I seriously think that only Android can save them. In todays world, pretty much everyone doesn't need RIM/BB/BBM.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Only thing that will save RIM from complete irrelevance is if they actually get their hubris out of their asses and realize that they need to move to being a hardware manufacturer that makes elite Android phones. Seriously, RIM could just run android on their phones, create a great phone that has a nice physical keyboard and offer their killer BBM and other services exclusively only to those who own an Android Blackberry. The business world would fawn over these things and it would influence the consumer market much like the original blackberry did.

Status
Not open for further replies.