RIM Enters Gaming Biz With Cross-Platform Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
If Blender had better COLLADA and FBX support I'd be more interested. I have had a lot of problems getting assets from Blender into various game engines because of the file format issues. I think this is a good move for RIM and wouldn't mind jumping in if the import/export problems are fixed. I simply refuse to spring for Maya given how capable Blender has become.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
@Big Eh. I found Blender just awful. Maya has a much more....sensible interface. Blender has no method as to why things are where they are, everything is just sprawled everywhere. Maya is tidy and has a good control scheme.

Shame this doesn't support XP

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Wow, totally left-field - did not see this coming, shame it won't take off because even though it is menat to unite all the OS's, they will bicker amongst each other to gain a majority and then it will all fall apart.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]MajinCry[/nom]@Big Eh. I found Blender just awful. Maya has a much more....sensible interface. Blender has no method as to why things are where they are, everything is just sprawled everywhere. Maya is tidy and has a good control scheme.Shame this doesn't support XP[/citation]
maya costs 3500$... cheaper than it use to be, but blender is free.

what i want is a 3d tool that is moron proof. i have never been able to do anything in 3d because all the tools i find are to complex for me to screw around with and have fun...

lets go this way, i want to model my face. i take a picture facing the camera, i take on at a 90 degree angle, import the two pictures, and want to shape my head, but i cant, because i have no idea how to move just one section of the model at a time.

the time that they release a program that can 3d model without needing to go to school for it to do it right is when i get interested again.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]maya costs 3500$... cheaper than it use to be, but blender is free.what i want is a 3d tool that is moron proof. i have never been able to do anything in 3d because all the tools i find are to complex for me to screw around with and have fun...lets go this way, i want to model my face. i take a picture facing the camera, i take on at a 90 degree angle, import the two pictures, and want to shape my head, but i cant, because i have no idea how to move just one section of the model at a time.the time that they release a program that can 3d model without needing to go to school for it to do it right is when i get interested again.[/citation]
Student version of maya is free...

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Student version of maya is free...[/citation]
Student version of Maya is prohibited from making commercial software. That's what an app showing up in RIM's store or any other appstore is considered.

ashinms

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012
What I want to know is how easy this is going to be to use. The BGE has had sucess because of how easy it is to use. If this is as easy as the blender game engine to use, I'm all in.

G

Sounds like they are planning on giving the gaming industry a RIM job

Status
Not open for further replies.