RIM Patent Targets Sneaky Cell Phone Photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hupiscratch

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It's RIM way to say it want to bankrupt faster. Not that somebody goes after a Blackberry for it's camera capabilities, but this is like those intrusive DRM: the good guy will suffer while the bad guy will find an easy way.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Great Idea !
As the RIM stock is not falling fast enough come up with an idea to turn off potential buyers by fiddling with the camera's performance.
Never mind 'sneaky' photos; what about emergency situations?
Like you witness a hit and run and want to take a quick shot of the vehicle
that is quickly leaving the accident scene.

Those who want to take 'sneaky' photos will still do so; they simply switch to a different phone or device.

dns7950

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
What a stupid, useless patent... Let me get this straight, they want to make it so you have to hold up your camera for a while before you can take a picture?? So if you see something happening that you really want a picture of, you might miss it because the company says it's a privacy concern to be able to snap quick shots?? Who in their right mind would purchase a phone with such a "feature".. I certainly would't. What a retarded idea, whoever thought of that is a total moron... There are so many many situations in which it's not feasible to be able to hold the camera focused on the subject, where you just have to snap a pic and hope it's a good one.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]dns7950[/nom]What a stupid, useless patent... Let me get this straight, they want to make it so you have to hold up your camera for a while before you can take a picture?? So if you see something happening that you really want a picture of, you might miss it because the company says it's a privacy concern to be able to snap quick shots?? Who in their right mind would purchase a phone with such a "feature".. I certainly would't. What a retarded idea, whoever thought of that is a total moron... There are so many many situations in which it's not feasible to be able to hold the camera focused on the subject, where you just have to snap a pic and hope it's a good one.[/citation]

I agree completely, this is the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
I know they're called Research in Motion, but they didn't have take it so literally to their cameras.

G

What's next RIM? Integrate a gun on Blackberry devices that only shoots your own foot?

jadedmonkey28

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
RIM is still in business?????? Getting patents like this it makes you wonder why people even consider them these days as a worthwhile phone provider.

eastland12

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
Great simple idea, so long as it is a feature that is off by default and if initiated by a corporate IT not able to be turned off by the end user.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]raptormnl[/nom]What's next RIM? Integrate a gun on Blackberry devices that only shoots your own foot?[/citation]
The Blackberry Zip, it's a zip gun and a phone! currently awaiting EPA approval for the lead bullets it uses. Just don't try taking it thru an airport!

rjandric

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
For the ones that are raging about this issue, this is meant to be used in managed environment like work place, so it is up to admin to disable or enable the feature. I am pretty sure for this will be turned off personal use, so why hate?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
RIM GTFO here. You folks have ur heads up ur arse. Someone who wants to shoot underskirt will get the more concealable cameras with better low light features. Someone who wants to take pictures of private documents while in bank line ups or w/e has already own an android handset with camera shutter sound disabled via customization...

ur responsibility is to make good devices, and its the users' responsibility of how to use it.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]rjandric[/nom]For the ones that are raging about this issue, this is meant to be used in managed environment like work place, so it is up to admin to disable or enable the feature. I am pretty sure for this will be turned off personal use, so why hate?[/citation]

Because people don't like being "managed". This is a paranoid security manager/control freak dream feature. Another irritating way to exert power over your staff. Fact of the matter is, if there is a concern of someone taking pictures of your work product, then they shouldn't have phones in the work place. Making the camera more irritating to use in name of "SECURITY" is something that deserves a kick in the balls to it's inventor.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
just when I was starting to root for RIM, they do this. this is just going to backfire on their asses if they ever implement it on their phones. theres no bigger customer repelant these days in the phone department than a shitty camera. the camera itself may be good quality, but its still shitty if your not able to take fast shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.