RIP my sound

Spynapple

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016
New to this site, I'm not sure if this belongs in the right place but here it is.
I recently bought a new laptop and it was all running great, then my headphone end snapped of inside the jack. I have tried a few ways to get it out (glue, heated pin), but to no avail. I also cannot use my speaker while the end is jammed in because is suppose the computer thinks that headphones are in? This is really annoying for me because I have no sound whatsoever. Help!

Getting the broken jack out is one thing, lets try fixing the sound to work in the mean time.

If your external speakers/headphones aren't working, try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Make sure you are on the "Playback" tab.
4. Highlight the "Headphones".
5. Now right-click on the "Headphones and then click "Disable".

You should get sound out of the speakers now.

Now about the broken piece. Did is break where there is still some wire showing inside the end piece, even if you can't grab it, or did it break where there is metal only left in there?

Spynapple

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

Dammit I've tried that already, among other things. Still no sound out of speakers :(. There might be a small metal bit showing but its mostly just plastic, about 1cm deep into the port.

That is very odd, as it should allow for turning off the jack, leaving the internal speakers working, or at worst, setting it so both will work. Did you make the internal speakers the default device?

If it is plastic, you can try the following. Just be REALLY CAREFUL as you don't want to hurt yourself, and you don't want to hurt the device.

One trick to use (if it is plastic in there and not metal) will require a pair of tweezers or pliers (I am partial to pliers, better grip), a very tiny/thin but long nail or a a larger sized sewing needle and a lighter. Using the tweezers or pliers hold the nail/needle and then use the lighter to heat it up. You will need it hot enough to pierce the part still in the jack. Again, don't burn yourself or anything else. Once it is hot enough, gently but firmly push it into the plastic part that is left in the jack. Once in, leave it for a moment for the plastic to get stuck to the nail/needle and then carefully put it out. It is a tad tricky to work with, but it does work.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Since this is a new laptop, you probably don't want to open it up, but if you do you may be able to push it out from the inside, depending on the type of jack they used.

Or you could take it to a reputable computer repair shop and let them do it, so if they damage something else inside, they would be responsible for the repair cost. Just read over the terms and conditions on any work ticket or whatever they have you sign to make sure they will take responsibility if they damage something (or more specifically they don't excuse themselves from liability).

Spynapple

Commendable
Sep 27, 2016

I tried the hot pin technique already, but it didnt quite work, not sure why. I might give it another crack. I'm afraid for the speakers because again this is a new computer and I really hope it isn't a hardware problem.