Solved! Rogue paranthesis on laptop screen

Aug 9, 2019
In the lower left-hand corner of my 1 year old, LG, ideapad 330-17IKB, with Win 10 1903 and every timely update. I have a rogue Open Parenthesis "(". It has been present close to 2 weeks; in truth it could have been there longer. My first thought...malware. I have run every antivirus I can find; and remember no correlated event that caused it

After posting this I will uninstall the monitor and reboot to reinstall it. After that, I am out of ideas.

Maybe LG is trying to convince me to buy an extended warranty?)

Solution
Is the second screen you say it does not show up on duplicated from the laptop screen or extended? If it's set to as the only display is this thing there? Are you sure it's there because of Windows and it's not just a image issue with the screen? It's there no matter what, when a program is open or only on the back-ground? Boot in Safe Mode, is it there? Boot off a USB Linux Live disk, is that there? Since you can't take a screenshot of it, it seems to be the issue is not caused by the video card. You may want to take a close picture of it and zoom in on it to see exactly what it looks like.
Aug 9, 2019
take a screenshot or take a pic using a camera, upload the image to imgur.com and post the link here
Hit the "print screen" key on the keyboard. Then save the image to any paint program. (just make sure what you want to share is the only thing seen or trim it up in the program.) From there upload it to where they suggested.

It does not copy with Windows 10 Screen Snip or print screen.

The second one is with camera phone, and was successfully captured.

That in itself should be diagnostic, but not to me. In fact, though I am a Tom's guide fan, I doubt there is a thing you can discern from the actual pictures, besides what I have stated. Except this

The Parenthesis image does not show on my attached large monitor driven by an HDMI connection, regardless of the program displayed..

The Parenthesis Image is ONLY on my laptop display, with Firefox, Chrome, Edge and Explorer Browsers; as well as all windows programs like File Explorer, Photos, Windows Settings. And, of course, on https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/rogue-paranthesis-on-laptop-screen.456337/

I am going to skip joining an image website I want nothing to do with for now; (not that there is anything wrong with imgur.com). Just the fewer places I drop my email and phone number, it seems the happier I am in life.)

I am not doing imgur. com or any other site, firstly because the image is not diagnostic. Where, when, and how it is appearing, I think, are the important points I have covered, as well as NOT on my hardwired HDMI Monitor. I don't think this is a case of a picture being worth a thousand words.

If I am in error with my simplistic deductive reasoning, correct me and I will comply.

Martin

I don't get the reason for the inclusion of a link to this exact thread within your post.

While you don't have to join anywhere, we only suggest it for ease of upload. You can always save it to any account online you wish that can allow for it to be inserted in the thread, or viewed via a link. I get not wanting new accounts, I am very careful about where I have accounts myself.

The purpose of asking is to get a better idea of where it is on the screen. Different locations, etc., can lead to different reasons for it. Is it in just the background? Is it actually down in the corner of the background or a little higher? All the way to the edge or further in? Is it in the toolbar? On and on. There are many things that can be better understood if seen.

Other questions would be... Does it show still, immediately, if you reboot (power fully off and then back on)? Or does it show up later? Have you changed the background image to see if perhaps it is within the image itself?

Things like these are why we ask for screenshots.

Aug 9, 2019
The inclusion of the link was my goof, being unfamiliar with posting here. I will comply and get you a pics, 1 without the Parenthesis as proof it isnot ;Snip' or print Screen duplicatable, and one with the camera to show it truly exists. By Monday. Thanks.

The location is 1.5" above the task bar (which is at the bottom), and 1.5" to the right of the left screen edge. It does not move, go up, down, or sideways with a less than maximized screen. It occupies an unmoving position.

Is the second screen you say it does not show up on duplicated from the laptop screen or extended? If it's set to as the only display is this thing there? Are you sure it's there because of Windows and it's not just a image issue with the screen? It's there no matter what, when a program is open or only on the back-ground? Boot in Safe Mode, is it there? Boot off a USB Linux Live disk, is that there? Since you can't take a screenshot of it, it seems to be the issue is not caused by the video card. You may want to take a close picture of it and zoom in on it to see exactly what it looks like.

Solution