Router DnsMasq vulnerability issue

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I have updated my router's firmware and still I am getting notified by my Avast Internet Security that I have a: "DnsMasq heap buffer overflow vulnerability"

So even after firmware update on my Netgear 6400/AC1750 Smart Wifi Router is still having issues and I have been like the proverbial bouncing ball between Netgear and Avast techs with no solution in sight. Netgear swears my firmware fixed the problem, however, Avast still shows a vulnerability. I have had no help from either company and I am really irritated.

There has got to be a way to fix this problem, but I have no idea how. I have a screen shot of the pop-up error if anyone needs to see it (I could not see any way to add a file here).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

camieabz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/DnsMasq-heap-buffer-overflow-vulnerability/td-p/1533509

To solve the vulnerability on your device, apply the firmware or system update that contains DnsMasq software version 2.78 or higher provided by your device's manufacturer. If an update addressing the vulnerability is not yet available for your device, you can secure your router or Wi-Fi hotspot with a strong password to minimize risks imposed by the vulnerability. We also advise you not to visit suspicious websites or run software from questionable sources.

It might not be firmware alone, but software version.

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
The latest version that has been provided for my router is: V1.0.1.42_1.0.28

How can I tell what this version actually contains? I already have updated my password twice since I updated the firmware. So I am at a loss why this is still occurring since Netgear is aware of the problem.

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

Hi there, can you provide a screenshot of the exact detection that you're seeing?

In the mean time, I'll pass this on to our team for investigation!

lynspottery

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Its been over 6 months since this response and I have found out that its a false/positive issue with Avast. No one can provide me a better answer. Netgear indicated I've no vulnerability to my router and I have been in touch with them as well as someone on their community forums who also stated this false/positive issue is common with Avast apparently.