Rumor: Apple to Ditch Google Maps for Proprietary Maps App

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
There will probably be a way to install it from the app store as long as google makes it available. What this means is that Apple will probably ship new phones with their Map app preinstalled.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
They're not going to block Google Maps as an app. They're simply going to switch the default iOS Map program to Apple's Maps instead of Google's Maps.

So when you click on a street address link somewhere in your phone, it'll come up on Apple's maps instead of Google's. But you can still go into the Google Maps app and copy&paste the address there.

Apple bashers need to relax. You guys SUPPOSEDLY don't have an iOS device anyway, right? So go play with your Androids and be happy.

jeremysvilla

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
ax.jpg

I don't see a problem with either Google charging for its services or Wikipedia moving to another provider, to each his own. With all the free services Google offers why should they pass up an opportunity for more profit, the Ferengi wouldn't. Yes i went There.
bx.jpg

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I don't care about the app. I care about the content.

Google Maps data is really horrible in rural areas. In towns where there are roads with "North" vs "South" or "East" vs "West" designations it consistently gets addresses wrong with businesses ending up on the wrong side of town.

There's a recurring problem with rivers and streams missing names. Third-parties have set up sites using the Google API just to provide a map with the missing names.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]Yet another reason to not buy an Apple product, especially if there is no way to install GoogleMaps as an aftermarket app.[/citation]

Yet another reason? Cmon, every reason short of a SDcard reader and a physically larger screen has already been proven to be inaccurate or just plain wrong.

There is a Google app available in the App Store from Google that provides access to all google applications. Gmail, Calendar, Docs, News, Google+, Reader, Photos (Picasa), Maps, Voice, hell even Translate is included in the app. So is Earth. I have it on my iPad and iPhone. Nice app.

willwayne

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I would be very surprised if Apple didn't eventually try to pull the plug on Google Maps on iOS because of "redundant functionality"

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Google maps are good inside the US, but are often horrible outside of it. My dad and I ended up in a cow field in the middle of Guatemala once... following its directions to the beach.... down a road which apparently was never built.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
The most surprising thing about this article was that Apple is currently using Goggle Maps now. I see no reasons for them to not pursue cutting as many ties with Goggle as possible, as they are direct competitors.

I know some errors that occur on these map sites, as well as the good old fashioned Thomas Guides, is a result of counties and cities giving them false information based on plans in the works that got changed before or mid project. I imagine just about any map program will have these same problems as a result.

G

[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]Yet another reason to not buy an Apple product, especially if there is no way to install GoogleMaps as an aftermarket app.[/citation]

I have used Google Maps turn by turn navigation for the last 2 years and love it. I prefer it over my cars navigation. Is Apple ever going to come out with a similar product? That is one reason why I sold my iphone. Apple uses old technology. Still no 4g.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Google maps isn't great on iphone, the functionality is limited.

If Apple makes a robust GPS software that works well, and comes free, they should do it.

G

Bring on APPLE SEARCH ENGINE and APPLE GAME CONSOLE next! Can you imagine an APPLE GAME CONSOLE and how great it would be? Cutting edge graphics on awesome high-res displays like the iPad!

Take my money!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.