Rumor: Apple to Ditch Google Maps for Proprietary Maps App

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]targetdrone[/nom]Yet another reason to not buy an Apple product, especially if there is no way to install GoogleMaps as an aftermarket app.[/citation]
this is good...i like it that apple will have it's own app...it's good competition...this will make google, garmin and tomtom wake up and develop better software

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
My home was built in 2007 and Google Maps still can't find my address. Mapquest and others can though. While I do use it as a backup to Navigon I would appreciate something better.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
The 'directions' feature will only generate directions to 'cool' places with lots of white, chrome and glass. Where else would anyone want to go?

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]AAPLCONSOLE[/nom]Bring on APPLE SEARCH ENGINE and APPLE GAME CONSOLE next! Can you imagine an APPLE GAME CONSOLE and how great it would be? Cutting edge graphics on awesome high-res displays like the iPad!Take my money!!![/citation]
Um, you mean last generation graphics (like their desktop and laptop products), grossly overprices displays (for no other apparent reason than the case being white and glossy) - all at double the price of equivalent products! Definitely take your money (not mine)(!!!)

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]They're not going to block Google Maps as an app. They're simply going to switch the default iOS Map program to Apple's Maps instead of Google's Maps.So when you click on a street address link somewhere in your phone, it'll come up on Apple's maps instead of Google's. But you can still go into the Google Maps app and copy&paste the address there.Apple bashers need to relax. You guys SUPPOSEDLY don't have an iOS device anyway, right? So go play with your Androids and be happy.[/citation]

I don't mind getting all the thumbs down that I am probably going to get but you sir are very wrong on many levels. I happen to have an iPad2 that is nearly useless because of it's lack of 1. flash 2. A flash (camera). 3. A good front OR back facing camera.
And yes, I do own a samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 which addresses all of these shortcomings. And it was also a few hundred dollars cheaper.

And maps should be removed from the itunes store because of "redundant functionality". Although it will probably stay for a while because apple has been burnt in the past and may not risk pissing off a huge number of their consumers. We'll see about the "redundant functionality" rule and how consistent it is with this new competing service. Apple is extremely anti-competitive as long as it suits they profit margins.

This is the dawn of a new era in patent trolling. I sure hope Apple fails because the consumer interests and the freedom of choice is what's going to take a hit. Of course, most apple fans wouldn't know anything about freedom of choice OR consumer interests.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Wasn't Steve Jobs saying that that's the beauty of his company, that they know how to make user interfaces and won't pretend they know how to do everything, and was giving this exact example, google's maps? I think it's somewhere in the "Steve Jobs and Bill Gates Together" video on youtube

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
it doesn't matter, macfans are so weird that they wont care if wosniak hits them on the face and rape them, they will say "why don't you talk in the forum about how you like it and we can talk to wosniak so he can do those things to you" (the answer i got whenever i ask for an itunes alternative)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]They're not going to block Google Maps as an app. They're simply going to switch the default iOS Map program to Apple's Maps instead of Google's Maps.So when you click on a street address link somewhere in your phone, it'll come up on Apple's maps instead of Google's. But you can still go into the Google Maps app and copy&paste the address there.Apple bashers need to relax. You guys SUPPOSEDLY don't have an iOS device anyway, right? So go play with your Androids and be happy.[/citation]
This sounds like bing being the default in IE - it hasn't stopped anyone from adding google as a search provider and using that instead.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]I don't mind getting all the thumbs down that I am probably going to get but you sir are very wrong on many levels. I happen to have an iPad2 that is nearly useless because of it's lack of 1. flash 2. A flash (camera). 3. A good front OR back facing camera. And yes, I do own a samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 which addresses all of these shortcomings. And it was also a few hundred dollars cheaper.And maps should be removed from the itunes store because of "redundant functionality". Although it will probably stay for a while because apple has been burnt in the past and may not risk pissing off a huge number of their consumers. We'll see about the "redundant functionality" rule and how consistent it is with this new competing service. Apple is extremely anti-competitive as long as it suits they profit margins. This is the dawn of a new era in patent trolling. I sure hope Apple fails because the consumer interests and the freedom of choice is what's going to take a hit. Of course, most apple fans wouldn't know anything about freedom of choice OR consumer interests.[/citation]

So let me make sure I understand here. You purchased the iPad 2 for Flash support (which is widely known not to be supported in IOS period), a flash on the back camera, and the front and a back facing camera and because of the lack of those items the device is useless? Really?

That makes about as much sense as having a quad core CPU in a phone.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Interestingly, in my experience, Google Maps works pretty well for plotting routes compared to dedicated GPS units I've used. (I haven't used any smartphone apps though.) I haven't gone in all that many rural areas, but all around it seems good for me.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
"That makes about as much sense as having a quad core CPU in a phone." Iphone 5 is going to be a quad core. ap3x now loves quad cores.
I remember
"you dont need to multitask on a phone" untill iOS5 (might of been iOS4) and then "i have to get the mutitasking update" lmao

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]So let me make sure I understand here. You purchased the iPad 2 for Flash support (which is widely known not to be supported in IOS period), a flash on the back camera, and the front and a back facing camera and because of the lack of those items the device is useless? Really? [/citation]

No, I purchased an iPad 2 thinking it would be an adequate tablet for the price and your understanding of things sucks. It comes with less than I expected. These "little" things are huge show killers. I cannot recommend the iPad to anyone (that I like). And the camera is a huge deal to me. My obsolete phone (Moto Milestone) takes better pictures. On the iPad, I can actually notice how crappy the picture quality is. I have to bring out my antique phone if I want a detailed picture.

Although the Glaxy Tab 10.1 has treated me really well in that regards. The browser crashes almost as much as safari but at least I can browse stuff with it. And the camera and LED flash are quite adequate IMO.

And multi-core on a phone makes a big difference depending on what you do. Going from 1 to 2 made a huge difference. Going to 4 will likely solidify performance when using lots of widgets, playing games, rendering web pages. Nothing sucks more than a phone that's being very unresponsive when you're trying to take a call because your CPU is busy s***ting its pants.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ You're an idiot for claiming to understand tech but buying a product without even checking it out first. You know, there are lots of reviews that talk about the cameras and everyone knows it won't display Flash and lacks a camera flash. How come you weren't able to determine these "shortcomings" before buying?

Like most trolls, you focus on things that don't matter to most people (Flash, flash and cameras) and then come up with excuses to show how they are "dealbreakers" and "huge show killers" to somehow make the iPad useless. Sorry, bud, but your extremely narrow requirements don't speak for the rest of us. Which is probably why Apple sold more new iPads the first weekend than the total Galaxy's sold all of last year. The people have spoken, and your "other" tablet is a has-been that nobody cares about.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
[citation][nom]dynamoair[/nom]I have used Google Maps turn by turn navigation for the last 2 years and love it. I prefer it over my cars navigation. Is Apple ever going to come out with a similar product? That is one reason why I sold my iphone. Apple uses old technology. Still no 4g.[/citation]
4G is a pipedream. Most countries of the world haven't got PROPER 3G. Even densely populated areas in developped countries (e.g. Europe --> Belgium etc...) fall back to antiquated GPRS or, if you're lucky, EDGE.

Sure, Brussels is more than likely fully covered in 3G because of the eurocrats who live there. While the rest of the country lives in the dark ages. Yet some carriers 'claim' to have 'the best 3G network o/t country', bloody morrons!

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]^ You're an idiot for claiming to understand tech but buying a product without even checking it out first. You know, there are lots of reviews that talk about the cameras and everyone knows it won't display Flash and lacks a camera flash. How come you weren't able to determine these "shortcomings" before buying?Like most trolls, you focus on things that don't matter to most people (Flash, flash and cameras) and then come up with excuses to show how they are "dealbreakers" and "huge show killers" to somehow make the iPad useless. Sorry, bud, but your extremely narrow requirements don't speak for the rest of us. Which is probably why Apple sold more new iPads the first weekend than the total Galaxy's sold all of last year. The people have spoken, and your "other" tablet is a has-been that nobody cares about.[/citation]

He doesn't really own one; he's just trolling. I mean HONESTLY, who uses a tablet for taking pictures? Try harder next time, son!

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]He doesn't really own one; he's just trolling. I mean HONESTLY, who uses a tablet for taking pictures? Try harder next time, son![/citation]
One troll pointing a finger at another troll. What the world is coming to...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]One troll pointing a finger at another troll. What the world is coming to...[/citation]
Troll wars... you need to watch Trollhunter.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]I don't care about the app. I care about the content.Google Maps data is really horrible in rural areas. In towns where there are roads with "North" vs "South" or "East" vs "West" designations it consistently gets addresses wrong with businesses ending up on the wrong side of town.There's a recurring problem with rivers and streams missing names. Third-parties have set up sites using the Google API just to provide a map with the missing names.[/citation]
God forbid a single company not be able to map the ENTIRE WORLD with every name of every road and every building in every town and all rivers and streams with 100% accuracy. These other companies you speak of are only mapping what's missing from Google, which is a small portion. If you want a fully detailed map, either wait until google is finished mapping the entire world, or use your 3rd party apps.

testerguy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]50 year-old technology.[/citation]

Translation: bitter fanboy who will criticise anything Apple before he even sees it.

Status
Not open for further replies.