Rumor: Comcast Prepping 305Mbps Broadband Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]$200+... Europe. Korea, Japan get that for a fraction of that :-([/citation]

All of those locals have a much higher population density in general than what you find in the US. It's the same reason our cellphone plans cost more, the infrastrure that supports the service costs more beause it has to cover a larger area for the same number of customers.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
im running the 150/65 on fios and its plenty fast enough. Its always there and I dont have to share with the node like cable customers. good luck keeping that 305mbps during peak times. Also realize that its burst technology only good for the first 10mbs or so.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]im running the 150/65 on fios and its plenty fast enough. Its always there and I dont have to share with the node like cable customers. good luck keeping that 305mbps during peak times. Also realize that its burst technology only good for the first 10mbs or so.[/citation]

hey can you please ping an end state (furthest from you) and tell me the latency with that upstream you have?

jdog2pt0

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]All of those locals have a much higher population density in general than what you find in the US. It's the same reason our cellphone plans cost more, the infrastrure that supports the service costs more beause it has to cover a larger area for the same number of customers.[/citation]

Nah, it's just because they're greedy. It's the norm to charge absurd rates, so they do. None of them want to invest in the infrastructure, because it means taking a hit financially in the short term. They wait until they absolutely have to upgrade something, to do so. Some are better than others, but overall it's about the same.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]Complete with a 250GB traffic cap.[/citation]

I hit my cap lots of times on a 16MB package. Supposedly comcast is "talking" about "raising" the cap, but it remains to be seen.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Comcast's reason for bandwidth cap: "We dont have the bandwidth to support all of this downloading!"
Later: "We are announcing bandwidth speeds more than 6 times what they are right now! So you can download more, faster!"

Yea... not enough bandwidth. Sure comcast.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]All of those locals have a much higher population density in general than what you find in the US. It's the same reason our cellphone plans cost more, the infrastrure that supports the service costs more beause it has to cover a larger area for the same number of customers.[/citation]

And I bet you defend the recent raise of upgrade fees....

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
If you read the news you would see that Comcast has got rid of the cap in most area's.

[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]im running the 150/65 on fios and its plenty fast enough. Its always there and I dont have to share with the node like cable customers. good luck keeping that 305mbps during peak times. Also realize that its burst technology only good for the first 10mbs or so.[/citation]

If there is going to be a 305MB tier, it will not use burst tech, please educate yourself before sticking your food in your mouth.

fausto412

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
i just want my 15/5 connection to get cheaper...good enough for HD video, all i need. Instead what they do is increase the price of it. lame is lame.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Right now, being in a slow area, my Cap is 35GB a month. Unless you pirate like crazy, or spend 24 hours a day streaming HD youtube videos, you won't hit a 250GB cap.

I don't blame them for placing the cap, if you honestly are hitting 250GB a month, you're doing something illegal OR legal - but you're sucking the frudge out of the bandwidth.

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Comcast also throttles bittorrent bandwidth to 1.5 MBps or 12Mbps on most residential connections so don't expect faster downloads unless their throttling limits are also different for the new "extreme" tier.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
From Comcast itself: The 250GB limit is no longer enforced. If you have Comcast simply look at the usage meter and you would see the note. I think that they will probably start charging based on usage like cell phone companies do w minutes. They will make more money that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.