Rumor: Next Xbox Controller Will Have Touchscreen

Status
Not open for further replies.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Sweet! I have been looking forward to the day when each controller would cost $200...can't wait! This is obviously a step in the right direction...

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Not being funny, but if you have something like the kinect, why the hell do you need a touch screen.

The only reason touch screen is popular, is because gesturing is not easily implemented.

Touch screens are terrible if you're trying to look at something, as you are always obscuring your vision with your hand, and if you're not meant too look, buttons are more responsive, cheaper, durable and feelable.

What they should be working on is a headset screen combined with the kinect, so you can turn around in a game (unless ofc you have a screen encircling you), not pissing around with 'old' technology.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Hopefully this rumor turns out to be premeditated crap in the end. While this motion sensor touch screen stuff sounds cool and futuristic, the expectations of most people will be much higher than what it'll most likely achieve. Simply put it wont be enjoyable, nor will it work for most game varieties.

I know Microsoft and Sony aren't stupid enough to follow Nintendo's lame duck console strategy and will still rely on old fashioned remotes for the foreseeable future....at least I hope or it'll be back to PC Gaming for this guy.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I guess I may have to think twice about smashing my controller on the ground when playing NHL 2012 online.........

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Seriously, I really don't get it...how will a touch screen improve my gaming experience? I would rather they spend time money and effort into increasing processing potential. I want better graphics, more sophisticated AI, more realistic animations...things that require better hardware and drivers. A touchscreen wont make an ounce of difference where it counts (for most gamers imo). This feels more like a lame marketing ploy than anything else. If they are so bent on messin' with the controller, why don't they put an accelerometer in that bad boy so that when I am getting a little bit too involved in my racing game (you know what I mean, physically turning the controller...with the subconscious hope that it will somehow make your vehicle turn faster in the game) it actually does something...now that would be cool. And much easier to implement than un-useful touchscreen functionality.

rangas

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
first was nintendo and the wii motion controller, soon enough sony and microsoft made their gimmicks.

nintendo is always innovating and thats why i love them, go nintendo

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I like the touchscreen idea. While it would be cool to see say your inventory on there, a touchscreen is more than just eyecandy. You could do certain motions with your thumb(s) while still holding on the controller using the push buttons to maybe cast a spell, do a move or other stuff. Think outside the box.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]I like the touchscreen idea. While it would be cool to see say your inventory on there, a touchscreen is more than just eyecandy. You could do certain motions with your thumb(s) while still holding on the controller using the push buttons to maybe cast a spell, do a move or other stuff. Think outside the box.[/citation]

Ok...good point. I could see those things as being useful.

CSA_Myth

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]I like the touchscreen idea. While it would be cool to see say your inventory on there, a touchscreen is more than just eyecandy. You could do certain motions with your thumb(s) while still holding on the controller using the push buttons to maybe cast a spell, do a move or other stuff. Think outside the box.[/citation]

This is why I would like the feature !!! But also think of sports games where each person can choose plays on thier controller, any player vs player game on one screen can benifit from it.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"Microsoft is playing it safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won't be cheap,"

Translation: Microsoft will include an OLD and CHEAP CPU and GPU but will run wild with gimmicks instead of substance. It will also be gigantically Overpriced.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
"Microsoft is playing it safe with the CPU and GPU but running wild with the functions that will change how you play, but it won't be cheap,"

So, following Nintendos choices with the Wii U. Bah, this sucks for PC gamers if true, another 7+ years of console ports that don't even come close to using what's available. At least the 360 launched with what was modern on PC at the time, it came out between the Radeon x1800 launch and the x1900 launch. Even if Sony's console is much more powerful, we all know developers will aim for the lowest branch. If the 360 is really just 20% more powerful than the Wii U, I won't see much appeal in it other than a few exclusive games,assuming Nintendo gets the third party devs on board and gets online right.

twstd1

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I think that if they do some weird junk like this I'll be moving to PC gaming completely. I'm already upset with the cost of xbox live but I still do it because I really enjoy their service. I do love sitting in front of my TV with my surround sound knocking pictures off the walls while I play. Unfortunately I had to come to a compromise recently and settle for turtle beaches but Their actually quite nice. Anyway my point is this I love the xbox controller. I love the way it feels in my hand. I love using it with my PC. Microsoft (not like you'll see this but) if you change it I will be VERY upset with you! It will probably be the last push I need to go completely PC. Also I don't really see the need to release a new xbox anytime soon, especially if the GPU upgrade is going to be so small. I don't really see the reason if your not going to go all out and put the best GPU you can. That's what they should really be focused on, not changing something that does it's job very well already. I've never once heard one of my friends complain about their controller ( unless it was going bad ). So M$ should spend a little more time on maybe looking into an xbox with dual GPU's? That would be a step in the right direction!!!! MOAR eye candy Plz!!!!! I would like to never see another artifact in a game that I've paid 60 bucks for.... how about that? Sounds good to me! So get started M$ I know your listening, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.