Rumor: Next Xbox Controller Will Have Touchscreen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
From what I read in the article, was that MS was testing touch-based gaming controllers. Not implementing them in any way (yet). And even if they were to, I can very much see a HUGE use for a touch-based controller.

The point is that technology is evolving with touch, why would MS choose not to use something that is becoming the "next big thing".

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I know Microsoft and Sony aren't stupid enough to follow Nintendo's lame duck console strategy and will still rely on old fashioned remotes for the foreseeable future....at least I hope or it'll be back to PC Gaming for this guy.[/citation]

Yeah, it's ridiculous to think that Sony or Microsoft would ever try and copy Nintendo's controller in an attempt to steal some of it's thunder.
(coughMovecoughKinectcough)

[citation][nom]senkasaw[/nom]Seriously, I really don't get it...how will a touch screen improve my gaming experience? I would rather they spend time money and effort into increasing processing potential. I want better graphics, more sophisticated AI, more realistic animations...things that require better hardware and drivers. A touchscreen wont make an ounce of difference where it counts (for most gamers imo). This feels more like a lame marketing ploy than anything else. If they are so bent on messin' with the controller, why don't they put an accelerometer in that bad boy so that when I am getting a little bit too involved in my racing game (you know what I mean, physically turning the controller...with the subconscious hope that it will somehow make your vehicle turn faster in the game) it actually does something...now that would be cool. And much easier to implement than un-useful touchscreen functionality.[/citation]

I don't see why they can't put in an accelerometer, who says they won't?

The thing is, better hardware does NOT equal a better game. Graphics are great but it's just polish. If the game has terrible gameplay, then you're just polishing a rock. AI can be nice in games like FPS that use it, but you could always just get some friends. I'd rather play 8/16 bit games more often because they focused on gameplay and storytelling elements back then.

Just because your limited imagination can't think of a gameplay purpose for a touchscreen does not mean the purpose doesn't exist. There have been plenty of ideas thrown out, and Nintendo's DS has already been using a touchscreen in gameplay for years. Microsoft's offering sounds a bit more advanced, but an HD screen will also add cost, and the fact Nintendo's comes out a year sooner means they may have the edge of being in people's houses already by the time the next XBox comes out. A $300 device this year, or a $600 device next year. Nintendo also has the advantage of 1st party support for their gimmick titles, so I don't think this is going to be simply a case of MS winning due to higher specs.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
What they need is better AI/physics SDK and better CPU/GPU to deal with this thing. these 2 things are seriously lacking in todays gaming. Whats the point of having a better graphic game when the AI is no better than the old half-life 1.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
The purpose of this controller is to go beyond gaming and get people to begin to think of the xbox as more than a game console, and further establish it as an entertainment and media hub (internet, tv, movies, books, etc.). That is the reason for the the tablet-like interface.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Awesome!! What would really be cool, would to integrate hdmi streaming to the controller, and have an hdmi out on the controller, so that you can take the controller in any room and hook it up to any t.v. to play ur games. So if the main t.v. is used, you just take ur controller and hdmi cable and hook into the t.v. in the other room.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Sounds horrible. I'm glad that Micro boards are essentially making the console obsolete, even if they do cost more.... although perhaps not more if you have to buy this crap to play.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Funny how when Nintendo announced a touchscreen tablet controller all the fanbois jumped on it and called it a gimmicky toy, now that Microsoft is doing it they now either have to eat humble pie or renounce the Xbox - way to paint yourselves in a corner

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Nintendo is a innovator and for a very long time now others have tried to copy them. The fact is that they are actually generations ahead than they appear to be from their current console. Look back at the NES, remember the power glove? That was a form of motion control, they never abandoned the idea of motion controls for games and worked on it the entire time which helped lead to the Wii.

The entire console industry seems to have the idea that they can just copy Nintendo and make a hardware superior console after Nintendo already released theirs and beat Nintendo.
This simply isn't going to work and has failed in the past.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Nintendo is a innovator and for a very long time now others have tried to copy them. The fact is that they are actually generations ahead than they appear to be from their current console. Look back at the NES, remember the power glove? That was a form of motion control, they never abandoned the idea of motion controls for games and worked on it the entire time which helped lead to the Wii. The entire console industry seems to have the idea that they can just copy Nintendo and make a hardware superior console after Nintendo already released theirs and beat Nintendo.This simply isn't going to work and has failed in the past.[/citation]
Nintendo didn't had any kind of input on the power glove. The product was not designed, built or developed by them, but by Mattel. So don't mix things up.

Also, 8 years earlier than Mattel's Power Glove, DataSoft launched the first motion sensing controller, the Le Stick. The first console developer to launch a motion sensing controller was Sega with the Activator. The second console developer was Sony with the Eye Toy. Nintendo was the third.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
Wait the XBox 720 is not coming out until 2014 by then we'll have implants in our heads that are mind controlled joy pads.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]screw xbox. It seems like you have to spend 20 of their stupid "points" everytime you push a button.[/citation]
Quit pushing the 'confirm purchase' button.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]so sony copies from the wii and now MS is going to copy off the wii U. now that's innovation MS.[/citation]

First you accuse Sony of copying Nintendo and then go on to accuse Microsoft of later doing the same yet Microsoft is the one you claim has no innovation?!?!

At the very least cite both as having no imagination.

Other than that the strategies of Sony and Microsoft have worked pretty well so far when it comes to games consoles just like Nintendo and they have all copied each other in their own way.

As for the two companies copying nintended; Sony saw a product and re-engineered it and made money and now 'if' Microsoft do the same they too should make money.

"All is fair in love and war" and all that!

phil kizer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Instead of focusing so much on peripherals, they should concentrate mainly on way to prevent the RROD from happening.

What I would really like to see in the next generation of consoles are:
1. Extreme and stable Anti-aliasing! - jaggies are so 1996.
2. All textures being made with vector images instead of bitmap, jpeg, etc. - Once again, jaggies are so 1996.
3. No polygon drop out or character body parts passing through each other.
4. The ability to map EVERY game to a mouse and keyboard, ESPECIALLY FPSes.

Anything else I would mention are givens such as fast CPUs and GPUs, More RAM, and glassesless 3D. I don't care much for the Windows integration for the next Xbox because I will always own a separate PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.