Rumor: Next Xbox's Blu-ray for Games, Not Movies

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Keep buying xboxes... let m$ screw you even more.

I can't wait to the day that Windows lose the market of PC games. Devs need to change platform for Chirst sake.

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
For the UK at least, going the other way (as a variant with an extra charge) and letting the next xbox act as a freeview+ box would make sense to me. Possibly a bit off topic

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
This doesn't make a lot of sense from a pirating aspect. Since blu-ray is the new standard, there is much greater support for copying & archiving said media. If MS isn't going to use it for movie playback, why use the media? Why not use a proprietary format that is less likely to be pirated? Heck, bring back HD-DVD if all they want to do is have you run games. The technology is already there, but how many people have the means to copy & decrypt HD-DVD vs other formats like DVD or Blu-ray? Of course this is only a rumor, so I hold judgement until official news is made known.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
um... does the person writing this not realize that dvd, bluray, the playback of those costs money, they have to pay a license fee to have that functionality?

personally, it makes no difference to me if it can or cant play bluray, i have a ps3, and its one of the reasons i got one, aside from exclusive games they offer.

if microsoft wants to save a few $ a system by not having it as a feature, i wont blame them.

the wii did it because everyone has a dvd player who wants it and it was logical.
microsoft, why would they pay sony for a license on every system even if people didn't want to use it for bluray ever?

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"um... does the person writing this not realize that dvd, bluray, the playback of those costs money, they have to pay a license fee to have that functionality?"

Aren't they already paying royalties to even use the bluray format in the system? I would imagine that costs more then the codec for playback.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bluestar2k11[/nom]"um... does the person writing this not realize that dvd, bluray, the playback of those costs money, they have to pay a license fee to have that functionality?"Aren't they already paying royalties to even use the bluray format in the system? I would imagine that costs more then the codec for playback.[/citation]

not sure... i mean i read about it with nintendo something like 8 or so years ago, that useing the dvd itself is royalty free or something, but the way data is read off it, or something, thats where the fee for using it is.

i could be wrong, but thats what i remember reading.

but even if i am wrong there, they would have to pay even more per system sold for the rights, which i beleive are between 1-20$ a reader. 1 is on the low end, and 20 is on the high, pass that around for every console, which may hit 50 million again through its life cycle, and that's 50 million to 1 billion$ straight to sony.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]um... does the person writing this not realize that dvd, bluray, the playback of those costs money, they have to pay a license fee to have that functionality?[/citation]Kevin? No, he has no clue. Since I already own a blu-ray player, I wouldn't want to pay extra to have this included, myself. Sony doesn't have this problem since they don't have to pay a dime to include it.

bviperz

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Why is everyone acting surprised? Did everyone forget that Microsoft sold the HD-DVD drive as an $99 add-on for the 360? They'll probably do the samething for Blu-Ray. In order to unlock the capability, you have to be an active X-Box Live Gold Member, or something similiar.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bviperz[/nom]Why is everyone acting surprised? Did everyone forget that Microsoft sold the HD-DVD drive as an $99 add-on for the 360? They'll probably do the samething for Blu-Ray. In order to unlock the capability, you have to be an active X-Box Live Gold Member, or something similiar.[/citation]

um... you do understand that hd-dvd uses a different laser than dvd, and the drive in the 360 is a standard dvd drive right?

and when it came out, i beleive the hd-dvd drive was a close to at cost device for the 360.
the first xbox required a remote, but my undersatanding was that remote also came with the lisenece to play dvds,
and the next 360... in a world where more people are willing to download a movie instead of getting a higher quality bluray, what incentive does microsoft had to just give sony money even though the majority of people wont need/want a blu ray player.

sure coming out at a latter time with a blu ray key, or even makeing it downloadable, would be the smart thing to do...

and dont get me wrong, if they over inflate the price, ill be the first to complain about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.