Rumor: Next Xbox's Blu-ray for Games, Not Movies

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Actually this makes sense to them because they have a partnership with Netflix and other movie streaming companys, so putting a bluray movie player would probably steer you away from streaming movies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
But keep in mind that if the hardware has a Bluray drive in it, it will just be a matter of time before someone finds away to get software on it to play Movies.....

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
After all, the Redmond company did something similar with Windows 8, ripping out DVD and Blu-ray movie playback in favor of charging customers for Media Center which essentially enables those very features.
Windows 7 (and earlier) never had Blu-ray playback support. Windows 8 Media Center doesn't either.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]this is not a good idea. but i assume they know what theyre doing[/citation]
When it comes to corporate thinking, you should never assume anything. And yes, I know that "corporate thinking" is an oxymoron.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Honestly, I'm not too concerned about it.

A. I doubt Microsoft will do it anyway, a rumor is just a rumor until facts are released. Just look at how varied the rumors have been so far, we've gone from APU to 16 core cpu to Power PC 8 core, and from 6670 to 7000 series gpu to 8000 series gpu in just a year or two.

B. I don't really care all that much about such features to begin with. A game console is a game console to me, I already have a blu-ray player for movies, a Roku box for streaming, and a computer for browsing the web. No need for me to work my console more than necessary and shorten it's lifespan.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
This is starting to sound like a competition: Which gets the lowest sales: Windows 7 or the XBOX 720/Next/Infinity?

Windows 8: No Boot to Desktop option, no start button. Not everyone on the planet has a touch screen nor is willing to buy one yet = FAILURE

XBOX 720/Next/Infinity: Cannot play Blu-rays movies. = FAILURE

Is Microsoft trying to lose? I'm starting to wonder.

G

I for one am not buying a next generation console. I'm really tired of all these restrictions on a piece of hardware you buy. If i buy any next gen console it will be a OUYA...and also just get a steam account..

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
my $120bluray drive plays blurays on pc, and has done for like atleast 3 years maybe more 5 maybe, i forgot when i baught it,

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Is Microsoft trying to lose? I'm starting to wonder.[/citation]
People still bought Xbox360 in droves despite all the random junk Microsoft did, so it's safe to say they can get away with it again.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Well, the Wii U doesn't play BluRays, but that's because it isn't really a BluRay drive. This helps stagger the ease of piracy and likely lower the cost to make it. Do realize they have to pay other companies like Sony themselves for the licenses for BluRay. If on the other hand MS is paying to put in an actual BluRay and is crippling it to force you to pay extra, then yes shame on them. The fact the Wii didn't have an actual DVD player is what fueled it to originally be modded to play DVDs, which then led it to being pirated. Someone will remove that restriction if the physical drive is there, then from there open the door for others.

BluRay isn't really a necessary function for me. I have a BR burner in my PC, they aren't even expensive anymore. If a better format comes along I can easily swap the drive out. Charging for network functions however is a bad move. Nintendo has an entertaining network now with their Miiverse and free service. The Wii U gamepad also allows a lot more control over that streamed content, making it a pretty solid streaming media device. Microsoft is more concerned ATM with how they'll compete with that.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Sounds about right for MS, they are stubborn and refuse to pay Sony their license fee. I bet their will be a $20 option for all the MS tools who buy their next crapbox to enable blue-ray playback.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]samal90[/nom]these are all rumors... Microsoft is not dumb.[/citation]
Really look at all their past projects and the latest, Windows 8 UI, yes they are dumb or they think we are all dumb is more likely.

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
This is probably just to cut costs and reduce the price of the machine (if its true). Licensing blu-ray is still quite expensive and limiting a drives use probably saves a lot of money.

It makes sense to me anyway. Why should Microsoft pay money to the blu-ray foundation to put blu-ray playback in every machine if there is a large segment who will never use it to watch blu-rays.

If the consumer wants the functionality, let them pay for it, therefore people who don't care are not forced to pay for something they don't want/need.

I already have a couple of blu-ray players, if removing blu-ray playback from the next xbox saves me money than i'm all for it.

asukafan2001

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I doubt this would happen and article said may and un-named sources. Which at this point usually means greatly exaggerated to lie as theres so many off the wall xbox or ps4 rumor every week.

However, i am shocked by the rage people are spewing here. Locking out features that not everyone uses means lowering the cost of the console and those who want the features can pay to use them. Secondly, if you dont already have a blu ray player and you were waiting for the xbox 720 to be your blu ray player. At this point, is the at most 20 bucks you'd pay to unlock the support really that big of a deal? You already waited years, blu ray players are often on sale for as little as 30 bucks.

Plus, last time i checked, the deciding factor on what console im going to buy is what games it has. Not what blu ray support it has, or if i have to pay 35 bucks a year for xbox live (shop online people. If you pay for then 35 its your own fault, not microsofts). If it has good games and good graphics, thats a buy for me.

I have devices that play blu rays, i have a smartphone, a tablet, a pc and a laptop then can surf the web, play hd movies and stream. When i buy a console, im looking at games. Any non gaming feature added is just a bonus.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
-No used games support (Maybe, wouldn't surprise me. Can I kill off the used car market too? It really bugs me seeing all these old disgusting rusted out cars everywhere, so much pollution too, and their so noisy and smell, lets take motorcycles out too, it wakes me up every morning*)

-No movie playback support (without paying extra)

-Outdated hardware (Waay outdated depending on a few factors, depending on if compared to the average to extreme PC gamer)

-I don't much like their controller (I'm a PS3 style girl lol^^)

-I hate the 360's UI I can't imagine the next xbox's will be any better since they love pushing a metro style UI. (Yeah, i don't use windows 8, but 7 is plenty anyway, why upgrade so soon?)

-Can't play FFXI, or really any MMO. (I can't even get my 360 to play my ffxi disc)

Doesn't sound like a system I need (Doubt I'll even go for the PS4, I JUST bought a PS3 lol, mostly for movies and ps1/2 classic titles and vita support), so I'll likely pass, I've fallen out of favor with wired consoles lately I haven't really touched my 360 since Halo Reach and much prefer my PC anyway. (Handhelds are good though, I LOVE my Vita and 3DS^^)

Give me a new Zelda, and Mario galaxy 3 style game, and let me transfer my Wii VC titles and saved games, I might consider a Wii U, could play it in bed lol. )

Besides, with 400-500$ I could get my girlfriends PC updated with a new GPU, some better ram, a new set of case fans, a few games for both of us ^^ Or buy more handheld games and bigger memory for the vita, Or better yet, take a VACATION! ^.^ No kids for a week, YES!! ^.^

*sarcasm tag in case you missed it :p
**I'll look it up later. Too tired. I hate putting kids on the bus at 7am, why can't school start at Noon and go till dinner lol. (Fyi we eat dinner at 7 sooo yeah lol^^)

I'll shut up now lol >

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
wow didn't realize that win 8made you pay for window's media player .. pfft very very piss poor decision on MS's part as most people don't give two flipping hoots about media player in the first place. man MS ahs becomea company of nickel and diming customers for every little thing.originally i planed on skiping out on the 360 , but eventually craked in and got one just for the halo series , mortal kombat , and soulcalibur series of games. on this next gen system i might actualkly stick to my conviction not skip it , unless MS makes the system for 100 bucks at some point like they've done with the 360 .

Status
Not open for further replies.