Rumor: PlayStation 4 Coming 2012, Will Bring Kinect-like Motion Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunyone

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
So the Xbox and the PS4 will be released in 2013-14 during the Holiday rush? I seem to remember they talk about the new consoles for about a year or so before they are actually released? Am I wrong in that acertation?

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
i really dont care what they do as long as they push the graphics up considerably so we dont get shitty ports on the PC, my ps3 is still dead and hopefully the price tag will go down and i can get a new one cheap

Who knows? Maybe we'll be able to see the graphics of the PC in 2010 on a 720/PS4 in 2013/2014....

G

Let's hope it's easier to develop for than the PS3. Pigs might also fly.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
When will it end! I'm starting to think that the 2018 game of the year will be a flyswatting mini-game with facebook or google+ integration.......

G

So based on the graphics available the last 2 years, we can expect 1920x1080 resolution with low to medium detail, and no aa of any kind, or it'll be scaled up 1680x1050 with a few perks.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Where is the outrage that Sony are copying Microsoft technology?Haters gotta hate.[/citation]

Because they haven't really? This is just an evolution of eye toy.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Interesting, this was the way controllers were supposed to go to keep the mainstream gamers... not what Nintendo is doing, giving a cruddy iTouch controller.

G

@lunyone

Speculation of new consoles usually flies around for a year or two prior to their actual announcement. It really depends on how fast these companies can get a working prototype/development kit together. They then send off the kit to select software studios so they can make tech demos, which are often showcased at E3/TGS/GC (Leipzig) for the new systems unveiling.

IIRC, Sony's co-development of the Cell Processor alone started 4 years prior (with rumors of the PS3s capabilities surfacing not long after) to the PS3s announcement.

G

maybe the 720 will use hd-dvd natively for games / security and support usb dvd/bd players... that'd be something... i guess it still wouldn't get around the licensing but idk

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
if they are smart they should bring a kinect+move hybrid.(kinect full body tracking and move precision and input)

anyways, i just hope for kick ass graphics for the benefit of PC games. ;)

G

PS3 expensive! hello we are talking about Microsoft here. You have to pay for everything and still dont get blue ray.

nexus9113

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]i really dont care what they do as long as they push the graphics up considerably so we dont get shitty ports on the PC, my ps3 is still dead and hopefully the price tag will go down and i can get a new one cheapWho knows? Maybe we'll be able to see the graphics of the PC in 2010 on a 720/PS4 in 2013/2014....[/citation]

Keep dreaming buddy, remember that they have to build a sub $500 PC.

To those thinking that the next generation is going to be a big leap, nope, not going to happen. A number of dev's have already said two things: They don't have any clue what to do next, that's why they're rehashing the same crap and putting Kinect/Move functionality into everything, and that they have hit a ceiling with visual fidelity where the biggest stuff they're doing is tweaking existing systems to run/look better, not overhauling them. (EX: the latest Unreal Engine Demo was referred to as Unreal Engine 3.99 by Cliffy B)

When everyone was making fun of and trash talking Move and Kinect, saying Sony and MS were just trying to milk the tit a bit longer, guess what, you don't spend millions in R&D to buy a couple years. This is their future. They've got to appeal to the "hardcore" segment with traditional controllers, and the casual segment with the motion controllers to make as much money as possible.

G

You shouldn't be complaining at the price of the PS3, in fact it is sold for less than the actual production cost, why?

It is roughly £40 more expensive to produce a playstation 3 than the sale price; this £40 covers the free blu ray drive that Sony have added.

It means that they lose £40 on every playstation 3 sold but earn a heck of a lot more because it means they have a (Sony) blu-ray drive in many homes and earn commission from every blu-ray disc sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.