Rumor: PlayStation 4 Coming 2012, Will Bring Kinect-like Motion Control

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theangrygimp

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Don't know about you but I can play at 2560 x 1600 and regularly stomp over 100fps, DX11, AA, AF, HDR - and I haven't upgraded my graphics in nearly 2 years.
Don't confuse PC gamers limitation of resolution being anything to do with the graphics cards, it is the monitors they use.

And that PC setup cost what? You expect someone who wants to get a PS4/XB720 to spend that much on the game system that you spent on your home PC? Let me see your Witcher2 benchmark of those resolutions maxed out over 100fps, or any number of other intensive PC games that were not ported from a console with 8yr old hardware. I would never trade my PC for a console, but I'm not going to be an ego inflated PC gamer that doesn't even consider the difference in marketing demographics when comparing PC vs consoles, and why the hardware isn't the same as a $1000+ custom gaming PC that is for more than just games/movies. I've got over 12 years of tech experience (professional, not tinkering) and was in the Army for Microwave transmission electronics repair, so i'm not exactly new to this argument of fanboy proportions.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
i don't care about the motion sensing crap if the graphics are choppy and unrefined...give me a powerful unit that supports dx11 and will buy it

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Gosh, I hope Sony doesn't join the Kinect bandwagon.
If they do.. the only hardcore gaming console will be.. the Wii U!

And that would be a sad day. A sad day indeed.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
I built my computer in 2006 with E6400, 4gb ram, and X1950XT. In mid 2008 when things were actually still progressing I popped in a cheap Q6600 from ebay and overclocked to 3.2ghz, 2GB more ram, and an ATI HD4850. Since that time I have had NO reason to upgrade anything and at the time the X1950XT was still good enough but it died. PC gaming has stagnated because of consoles.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]derek2006[/nom]I built my computer in 2006 with E6400, 4gb ram, and X1950XT. In mid 2008 when things were actually still progressing I popped in a cheap Q6600 from ebay and overclocked to 3.2ghz, 2GB more ram, and an ATI HD4850. Since that time I have had NO reason to upgrade anything and at the time the X1950XT was still good enough but it died. PC gaming has stagnated because of consoles.[/citation]

So let me get this straight, derek: You are bragging about building a mid-range computer 5 years ago, upgrading to another mid-range computer three years ago, and then you say PC gaming has stagnated? Methinks you are too short sighted, or your wallet is too skinny, to understand what computer hardware tech has been through since your 2006 build.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Somehow I doubt it. Sony has said publicly that the PS3 is a decade-long console, so a new one in 2012 would be breaking with the promise.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Motion control is just not for me, I like to play games with a "normal" controller.

Why would I like to act like a monkey while playing a game?

about the graphics the PS4 must finally deliver true 1080P games, hate that the games on my PS3 are limited to 720P.

as for the hardware, I"ll have to wait until we know more about the actual specs to comment on that.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Meshbag[/nom]You shouldn't be complaining at the price of the PS3, in fact it is sold for less than the actual production cost[/citation]

If it's too expensive to buy, it doesn't matter how much of a relative bargain it is. People still can't afford it. And who cares of they have a BD player in every home? By the time they recover all the money they blew on the PS3, some other format will be out.

Sony bit off more than it could chew with the PS3, with both Cell and BD being first introduced with it. Cell was an expensive waste of money. If they had stuck with a more conventional chip, they could have reached profitability a lot sooner. For some reason they expected that an expensive hodgepodge chip would find a place in all sorts of other devices and make them billions down the road, and that just hasn't been the case.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Here is an Idea for console makers:
Instead of trying to get 5 to 7 years out of a graphics chip/card allow the console to accept an upgrade once in a while.

Here is how I see it working...
1. You buy the intial console with video card number 1
2. After a couple of years users can upgrade thier console with a faster video card, lets call it, number 2.
3. Games would automatically choose the proper graphical settings for card number 1 or 2 without any user input or any type of manual settings. Graphical upgrades would NEVER be required to play a game. All game makers would be forced to use settings that will allow a game to play using the inital (number 1) graphics card. But if they wanted they could enable graphical enhancements that the number 2 card is capable of.
4. The video card would need to be enclosed to avoid electro-static discharge but still streamlined and have excellent airflow.
5. It would need to be easy for people to upgrade thier console meaning they would need a cover over the video card port that would be removed with a couple screws. Just take off the cover, pull the old one out and insert the new one. I envision it working similar to how the PS3's hard drive can be upgraded.
6. After a few more years you could buy card 3 or card 4 to upgrade the graphics on your console. The whole time games will automatically select the proper graphics settings and even if you still have card 1 all games will still play but the graphics may just not be quite as nice.

This would allow people to continue to use the same console but demanding users would get to see better and better graphics. It would also be an additional selling point for consoles after they have been out for a couple years. Instead of just a bigger hard drive it also has a number 3 graphics card for the best graphics currently available on the system.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
I heard that it will be a
Daul 8 Core Cell processor making it 16cores
TRI SLI GTX 580s, Blu-Ray Player. 8Gigs of DDr4,
Will Push 15 Teraflops and will do Ray Traicing @ 4k Resolution @ 60fps

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]I heard that it will be a Daul 8 Core Cell processor making it 16cores TRI SLI GTX 580s, Blu-Ray Player. 8Gigs of DDr4, Will Push 15 Teraflops and will do Ray Traicing @ 4k Resolution @ 60fps[/citation]
LOL
Triple GTX 580's huh!?
With something like that the console would be at least $1,500
Not even Sony would be dumb enough to price it that high...

So.. I'll just assume you were joking.
If you are being serious and really believe that then you need to tell whoever told you that, that you know they are lying.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]LOLTriple GTX 580's huh!?With something like that the console would be at least $1,500Not even Sony would be dumb enough to price it that high...So.. I'll just assume you were joking.If you are being serious and really believe that then you need to tell whoever told you that, that you know they are lying.[/citation]
Lol , When Sony Announced the Sli Nvidia cards they were using , at the time they were high end. the ps3 ended up costing less than the cards because of mass production. Knowing sony they are going to go big and ya I was joking.

And anyone who doesnt know what ray tracing is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaKwLp77kjQ

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]skipper86[/nom]in my opinion Sony cant beat Microsoft Kinect because when it will be relased, Microsoft will already have sold millions of Kinect..http://www.technorotic.com[/citation]
MS sold over 8 million Kinects in the first 60 days :p I believe they actually pulled off selling around 700,000 Kinects in the first week.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I am a daily reader of Digitimes, which is a Taiwanese e-news outlet for tech and financials related to tech; a paid subscription is required to access articles more then a couple days old. This Tom's rehash wasn't very good. First, the Digitimes article was on the 4th of July and not the 6th. Second, this is not a rumor. These are actual Taiwanese based production lines in real companies that are starting to make the components of the PS4 that is going to be released in the fall of 2012 according to those companies. Sony can do their BS as much as they want to try and convince people it's a rumor in an effort to protect sales of the PS3 and surprise the competition, but this production is happening at this very moment.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
Anyone who talks about upgradable consoles is either naive , or not old enough to remember when that sort of thing was actually done. It always flopped, because nobody bought into the addons.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Lets hope it isnt bloody expensive like the PS3[/citation]

Shouldn't be since the biggest factor in the PS3 was blu-ray, which is decently matured by now (heck, you can get blu-ray players for

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Don't know about you but I can play at 2560 x 1600 and regularly stomp over 100fps, DX11, AA, AF, HDR - and I haven't upgraded my graphics in nearly 2 years.Don't confuse PC gamers limitation of resolution being anything to do with the graphics cards, it is the monitors they use.But even if you plugged your PS3 into my Dell 30" it would still only do HD because thats the limit on the hardware.PC gaming FTW!!![/citation]

What I was trying to say is that resolution won't be the only thing killing frame rate. High quality textures and other things will drop the frame rate. So to say an old GPU would be suffice for a system that's not going to be upgraded for 5+ years is a bad idea. For example I bet you can't hit 60+ FPS with Crysis 2 at that resolution. As more games start to look better more GPUs will struggle at 1080P maxed.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Here is an Idea for console makers:Instead of trying to get 5 to 7 years out of a graphics chip/card allow the console to accept an upgrade once in a while.Here is how I see it working...1. You buy the intial console with video card number 12. After a couple of years users can upgrade thier console with a faster video card, lets call it, number 2.3. Games would automatically choose the proper graphical settings for card number 1 or 2 without any user input or any type of manual settings. Graphical upgrades would NEVER be required to play a game. All game makers would be forced to use settings that will allow a game to play using the inital (number 1) graphics card. But if they wanted they could enable graphical enhancements that the number 2 card is capable of.4. The video card would need to be enclosed to avoid electro-static discharge but still streamlined and have excellent airflow.5. It would need to be easy for people to upgrade thier console meaning they would need a cover over the video card port that would be removed with a couple screws. Just take off the cover, pull the old one out and insert the new one. I envision it working similar to how the PS3's hard drive can be upgraded.6. After a few more years you could buy card 3 or card 4 to upgrade the graphics on your console. The whole time games will automatically select the proper graphics settings and even if you still have card 1 all games will still play but the graphics may just not be quite as nice.This would allow people to continue to use the same console but demanding users would get to see better and better graphics. It would also be an additional selling point for consoles after they have been out for a couple years. Instead of just a bigger hard drive it also has a number 3 graphics card for the best graphics currently available on the system.[/citation]

They will never do this because a console gamer wants to buy the console, sit down and play it. If they wanted to upgrade they'd get a PC. You'd be running into bottlenecks then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.