Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Cost More Than $400 This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I don't doubt it.. Issue is, we want these Consoles to support high graphic games.. but we don't want to spend a fortune on them..

So what do we do? We kill the PC market by making games "so-so" with graphics. Unfortunately not everyone can afford a gaming computer, so its easier to game with Consoles. 200-400 bucks and bam you can play all games!

I'm a PC guy.. but seeing the pirating so high and the console being so easy to afford/use.. well, I don't blame developers for going console specific or going console and porting to PC.

Yes, you can pirate for the console as well but a lot more steps are required. It isn't as easy as "pirate bay/torrent/play".

Oh well.

gekko668

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Anyone knows if the PS4 is backward compatible with the PS3 games? I have a feeling that it doesn't because Sony is using an AMD processor

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]but seeing the pirating so high and the console being so easy to afford/use.. well, I don't blame developers for going console specific or going console and porting to PC.Yes, you can pirate for the console as well but a lot more steps are required. It isn't as easy as "pirate bay/torrent/play". Oh well.[/citation]

Part of the reason why pirating occurs is because of how inconvenient the vanilla game is. Back in 2007, Spore had one of the toughest and most annoying DRMs...

Ironically, Spore ended up being the most pirated game.

Why?

Because legit customers don't want a pseduo-malware installed onto their computer.

G

As long as thy dont show Killzone 4 bullshots... Deja Vu.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]gekko668[/nom]Anyone knows if the PS4 is backward compatible with the PS3 games? I have a feeling that it doesn't because Sony is using an AMD processor[/citation]
I can pretty guarantee you it won't be. The architecture of the cell processor is so different to x86 they would need to put a cell in there (like they did with the PS2 emotion engine and the first gen PS3's) for it to be able to work.

G

Based on the rumored spec list, I have had a similar machine with much of the same specs as this next gen console.

It's called my PC.

An AMD multicore CPU, 8 GB of DDR3 and ATI graphics.

Kind of funny to think about.

G

I have a PS3 since release, but this is money better spent on upgrading your current gaming PC or building one. The specs don't jump out at me like I thought they would. My current PC already outshines their rumored specs big time! I also game at 2560 x 1600 on max settings so this would be dumbing down gameplay for me. I'll stick with the best and keep my PS3 a while for just Media.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I have no problem paying $400-$500 If the hardware inside is good value, it does have to last 7+ years.

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
My main question, backward capability, the specs look nice. Since their handheld Vita can play PS3 games I'm going to guess yes that it will at least emulate the PS3.
As far as poor Vita hand held gaming device sales, all I can say is the smart phones have that covered so it should be expected.
And the MS Winblows 8 Infinity console with no used games (anti-used-games bandwagon with Microsoft) can lick my clitoris.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]durrrrrr wut[/nom]Based on the rumored spec list, I have had a similar machine with much of the same specs as this next gen console. It's called my PC. An AMD multicore CPU, 8 GB of DDR3 and ATI graphics. Kind of funny to think about.[/citation]

The advantage that consoles initially have over PCs is that they're standardized computers. No need to program the game to run on thousands of different Mobo/CPU/GPU/OS/HDD-SSD/sound configs. You only got one or two standard computers to program for, and that allows additional optimizations.

However, eventually even the mid-range PCs will be better (within 3-6 years) through sheer computing power increase over the years.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
With how much more affordable a PC is today and how expensive consoles are getting console gamers have simply lost the point about costs to favor a console. In-fact PC games ever since Steam started the trend with amazing sales and other services and retailers followed the PC easily becomes a cheaper platform in the end.

Perhaps it's time for us PC gamers to start saying console gaming is dying for a change,

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
anyone else think it odd that they would make this announcement right before MWC? With all the phone news that will be flooding the internet just a few days after their announcement it makes one wonder if the PS4 will have some sort of cell phone component, or if this will just be a teaser launch simply made to get people to think about Sony right now, and for the lack of news to get buried in the chaos that follows.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
In other RUMORS 4 usb ports,other os, ps1-3 game support and ability to copy your games to the hdd on the new ps4! Yea I don't believe any of that(even tho I thought it up) ...I only look for downgrades at this point(you know what they say about not learning from history).

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Is there still even a PAL/NTSC requirement anymore? its an antiquated format, my ps3 auto detects what it wants to use on my lcd but i can manually choose NTSC or PAL if i want and my TV doesn't give a crap.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]I don't doubt it.. Issue is, we want these Consoles to support high graphic games.. but we don't want to spend a fortune on them..So what do we do? We kill the PC market by making games "so-so" with graphics. Unfortunately not everyone can afford a gaming computer, so its easier to game with Consoles. 200-400 bucks and bam you can play all games!I'm a PC guy.. but seeing the pirating so high and the console being so easy to afford/use.. well, I don't blame developers for going console specific or going console and porting to PC.Yes, you can pirate for the console as well but a lot more steps are required. It isn't as easy as "pirate bay/torrent/play". Oh well.[/citation]

i just pieced together a "gameing" computer for 438$ a few days ago... sure its not the best gpu (a 5770 1gb equivilant) but that is honestly a great gpu... yet to really run into anything it cant handle at 1920x1200, and i reduce some setting reguardless if i had a top end gpu just because they take alot of resources but offer very little in terms of visuals, like ssao in most games.

Status
Not open for further replies.