Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 Appearing at E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]azncracker[/nom]they are really going to use the name "xbox 720"?[/citation]

Would you prefer Xbox 360 2?

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Generally all you see on the first E3 showing of any new console is a bunch of fancy cinematics running on an extremely expensive Computer running some form of their SDK...

In other words, you'll see movies about games that may/may not come out in 2 years... On hardware that only exists on paper.

My bet is quad/hex core CPU's for both consoles - IBM again
ATI graphics in both consoles - probably current gen strength (6000 series). Doesn't sound like that great of a thing, but considering what the current generation is running, a 6000 series GPU is about 4 times more powerful than what's in the systems right now.

All the 'standards' 1080p, 3D, etc.

I'm sure MS will be pushing something kinect-esque on the 720, Not sure what Sony will have in mind but I'm sure it will be 3D related.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
So it's going to be a history repeat? 2 years of nice graphics + 5 additional years of outdated gfx.. ? I really hope these new consoles at least allow to assign keyboard keys in any game!!! I still don't understand why is it not done on present generation consoles !?!?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Nintendo "We've got a product with a closed ecosystem and limited features, like Apple. But at least we did it first, like Apple! It's even white, like Apple!"

XBox "Our products will be out next year, offer a full media experience, and interact with our mobile Windows 8 devices."

Sony: "Our products will be out next year like XBox, offer a media experience like XBox, and interact with our mobile devices like Xbox. We also have a list of extra features!...-coughthatwewillremoveatourconveniencecough-

Nintendo sells another 100 million. 2014 MS and Sony will have tablet controllers.

The most interesting sight at E3 will be seeing what Nintendo is packing for their release lineup. An empty plate will end with a drop in their stock. Let's hope they learned their lesson.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
and the consoles take another babystep towards being exactly what they are, crappy versions of PCs with very limited hardware and restrictions.

stryfe1986

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
we may not now the actual name till E3 of 2013 for now its just has a project name which is xbox 720, you should know by now, thats pretty standard for any device/invention.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Not bad, Xbox 360 will stand for near 8 years if it launches in mid 2013. PS3 and Wii 7 years.

This has been the longest console cycle I have seen.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
Why not use the name Xbox 720? Wasn't it made up by xbox fans on the internet? Or would you rather they say 'F u' to the community and make up some shitty name like the Wii. I would love to see them show they are making this console for the fans by atleast keeping the name Xbox 720.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
They should allow for cross-platform online gaming between PS4/Xbox720.
(as long as they are the same titles, many of which are simply just ported to the other console(s))

I know this won't happen, but I can dream of multi-platform online gaming.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Generally all you see on the first E3 showing of any new console is a bunch of fancy cinematics running on an extremely expensive Computer running some form of their SDK...In other words, you'll see movies about games that may/may not come out in 2 years... On hardware that only exists on paper.My bet is quad/hex core CPU's for both consoles - IBM againATI graphics in both consoles - probably current gen strength (6000 series). Doesn't sound like that great of a thing, but considering what the current generation is running, a 6000 series GPU is about 4 times more powerful than what's in the systems right now.All the 'standards' 1080p, 3D, etc.I'm sure MS will be pushing something kinect-esque on the 720, Not sure what Sony will have in mind but I'm sure it will be 3D related.[/citation]
6000 series only 4 times as powerful as the hardware in Xbox 360 and PS3 which came out 6 years ago? That sounds disappointing.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Microsoft will try to get a couple month jump on the GPUs available to PC gamers, and have a GPU exclusively made for them.

So if it is released xmas 2013, this means something between the 8000 and 9000 ATI series. PC gamers will get their hands on faster GPUs (9000 series) in early 2014.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I really think it's funny how everyone goes completely insane over all these rumors and speculation stories here on Toms and other sites as though they are actually facts about future consoles, that exist in name only, or only on paper.

As for those who keep saying "my PC is sooo much better" give it a rest! Yes your PC is much better you can upgrade and tweak your hardware every time something new comes out, you can water cool the components etc. . Consoles are designed to last a specified amount of time with a given hardware spec, they don't have anywhere near the overhead in regards to the OS as your precious PC does, so they can use slower (compared to a PC) components to output graphics at a specific frame rate, and quality level.

G

Rule of thumb: If it exists in name only or on paper only as a rumor, it's probably just that. A rumor. I don't doubt another XBOX and Sony console are due soon; the 360 and PS3 have been out for several years now. If there is a new console coming in 2013 then it's definitely still in the planning stages right now. It takes YEARS to make these machines, people. I don't think it's going to be ready by 2013. Maybe 2014 or something. Development of the technology and better processing, rendering, etc. takes a while.

I have to disagree, consoles can be repaired and tweaked just as PCs can, beoza. I know people who have modded their old XBOX consoles, people who have given them larger hard drives and stuff, etc. With how much these machines can do it's not surprising that there's a community out there devoted to tweaking machines. And obviously, consoles can have parts replaced up to and until the console is rendered obsolete and support's dropped - just like with PCs.

Consoles are supposed to last a specified time? Have to disagree there too, sorry. I have an SNES in storage that still works more than a decade later, and the only reason it can't work now is because TV hookup methods have changed. My best friend has her N64 she got the day that console came out, and it still plays just fine. Until recently my XBOX was hooked up to my downstairs TV and it hasn't had a single problem; the only reason it's not playable now is because my XBOX 360's hooked up there. I bet you'll find more than a few NESes, Genesii, and Megadrives at your local gaming warehouse too, so I don't even wanna hear how "consoles only last so long". The components themselves do, yes, but as long as you can find replacement parts and treat the machine gently, the console's good to go.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i only play arcade/console games on pc when they become available via emulators. you get hd graphics, insane fps, graphic enhancements, no physical cartridge or disc to damage/wear out, and so much more. who cares about consoles? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.