Run time Error(s)

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Good Morning-
As of late, I am having some issues with some of my Program Files. I'll post each one separately and hope for some accurate solutions.
The first is an error within my Adobe Reader 10.0. We are getting an error message, as stated below:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Run Time Error!
Program: C:\Program Files\ Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe
This Application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.....

I would appreciate some good help and guidance with this matter. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
tim

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Thanks for the reply 'hang-the-9'- This machine is running Windows XP Professional SP3, build 2600. Yes, I uninstalled the Adobe Reader X and reinstalled. All it did was put a desk top icon up. The only items I have uninstalled were some progs I don't use anymore via Revo Uninstaller. As far as utilities go, I have used TuneUp Utilities 2010-1 in the past, but uninstalled it because it doesn't work right. I use Auslogics Boost Speed and RegCure as of now.
Of note, I cannot seem to apply any extensions on the Google Chrome browser, either. I use Chrome exclusively for its speed and simplicity. That issue has something to do with drive letters and user data file path(s). Not sure if the two issues are related.

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
I agree with you. I look at whatever they want to 'fix' before executing the repair command. I'll try the C++ runtime update. One thing for sure I can say is that for a long time I had automatic updates turned off, per a friends suggestion. He felt that there was no more support for XP and thinks M$ just uses that as a means for spying on people. I really don't know the source of my OS, as the same friend gave me the machine and had everything installed on it.
Now, back to the M$ Visual C++ Runtime. It is already installed on my machine in 3 different forms. If you'd like, I can post the different versions, or updates- whatever they are- for you to see.
I appreciate your input and guidance regarding this matter...Thanks!

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
OK, the 2010 Redistributable C++ is installed. There is one 2005, and three 2008 variants of the C++ installed also- all with different version paths. Can I uninstall those, or are they all a part of the entire program? Please advise.
Thank-you!

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Didn't help....Uninstalled/reinstalled Adobe Reader X, updated to 2010 Redistributable C++ and am still getting the Runtime Error. Don't know what to do.

timw128

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Not as of yet...I am hoping to give them a call tomorrow. I just have had better luck solving problems asking questions here vs. Customer Support with various organizations. I'm going through some issues with Acronis Support as of now. I have found that 9 times out of 10 the support personnel don't have a clue about their own products. Lol!

CenturionPrime

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011

I too am having the same adobe error, running the same version of windows, and also having issues with installing Chrome extensions.

I did find a work around for the adobe issue, albeit, I don't understand why this should fix it. I turned on NTFS auditing and noticed that there were some access denied errors accessing parts of my profile coming from the adobe acrobat reader thread. I can't explain why, as it was using my user account for credentials and my account has full control through my entire profile path. In any event, I added the "everyone" group with "full control" to my profile and adobe reader started working. As I said, I don't know why that should fix it, when my account has full access already. I don't want to leave it that way as it is less than an optimal solution (despite the fact that this is on my home PC).

As to the Chrome extensions, I have been able to install them (manually) by following these steps: http://techdows.com/2010/10/how-to-install-chrome-extensions-manually.html. I had to install 7-zip as the "rename and extract" using Window's built in extraction program didn't work.

Sequoia2012

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
C++ Runtime Library Error "Unusual..." means that the application program, which was written in C++ and uses the above redistributable library, has crashed. Because it called the library, some resources gathered on the behalf of the program by said library may not have been returned to the OS because the application does NOT have any "try-catch" error handler installed for the block of code that is failing.

IT DOES NOT MATTER THAT THE CRASH WAS CAUSED BY A CONFLICT WITH SOMETHING ELSE IN YOUR SYSTEM! THE FAILING APP IS NOT PLAYING BY THE RULES!!! POINTING THE FINGER AT SOMEONE ELSE IS JUST POOR SUPPORT!!!

Try-catch not only gives the application a chance to handle the error, but also installs a error percolation process in case the app can not handle the error. This ensures proper release of any resources held.

If this error condition was left without the library being post-user crash notified by the OS, memory leaks would soon deplete the system. Not a happy situation.

BTW, a .dll avoids having applications distributing large apps because it uses the .dll. Multiple concurrent C++ apps can share the same .dll, thus conserving memory. It would not be a nice thing for the .dll to be shut down just because one user did not play by the rules.

Sequoia