Russian Dev Finds Hack to Circumvent Paying for iOS Apps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Yes, the iSHIT religion hasn`t reach far outside USA. Plus their products (and apps) are so overpriced that i should work many months for free to afford buying those products. My monthly income is under 600$ (and i too have a family to buy food for)... but everyone expect me to behave like i have one of 5000$. And gues what i did do a college too, but those are the incomes around here!
Or you think if i am almost broke i should not use a phone or a computer or listen music or see a good movie?
Charge everyone a percent (like 0.02%) from their income and then see who still pirate things online!
Anyone heard recently for someone pirating a linux? Oh wait: is free...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I find it funny that it is mostly foreigners who think that everything digital should be free. I think when you look at the stats for the amount of piracy per country it becomes greatly apparent.[/citation]

What i find funny is flawed logic based on groundless assumptions - And why is it a flawed assumption then? The pirated versions are usually available BEFORE the actual commercial release in many country's so people who don't like to wait pirate. Unlike the US where the titles are usually released before the pirated versions are available.

Don't point fingers and think US customers have much better morale than every other country because they don't - Its availability that made it appear that way to the people who can't take in ALL the factors in the equation before pointing fingers.

Hint: Take a look in piracy numbers over specific titles that's been released elsewhere and you see that US does "well" in the piracy numbers when the pirated version is available before the commercial...

ankaJ42

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]I don`t hate them, but i think you should not ask money for the app, only for support. But apple and sony and others charge you for app and then for parts to improve the app... i don`t like them!Remember Linux is free and is world-wide used, and there are developers who develop applications and drivers and you name it... for FREE ! They have all my respect![/citation]
The problem is that if charging for support only becomes mainstream, then quality of products will go down as companies will make more money by shipping a crappy product and then having users call in to figure out how to use it. Which would end up costing consumers more in the long run. I know that there are a number of open source projects that work this way and still deliver great products, but if this became common practice, then I see it quickly becoming difficult to tell which products are worth your time.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]Another idealist... Wake up - the capitalism is "EAT or BE EATEN" !If they rip you off, then you should let them have it back: he should have made it freely available and maybe informe Rotten-Apple about it a year later![/citation]

Capitalism is equal opportunities if I remember correctly, not eat or be eaten...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]I don`t think devs should be self-employed. And if they sell me a thing then they should have include support for it! That is their responsability and should be mandatory by law (at least for 1 month or so)! If they can`t afford it to then go work for firms who can... or give it free (of charge and responsability)![/citation]

Devs shouldn't be allowed to sell their work and they should be forced to do even more work for free? I suppose that I shouldn't be allowed to make a website like Ebay that takes a commission from sales so that I'm not paying thousands of dollars a month (or more) to keep it running. You seem like you want to almost enslave the developers.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]As i`ve said: greed make the world spin.Developers complain about this situation, but from users point of view.. do you refund them if your app has flaws in it?If the application help user make money then i will agree with "code for money to buy food" point... but let`s face it: phone applications do not do that![/citation]

A lot of apps can make people money... Do the stock exchange apps not let people make money? Not a hugely relevant point, but what you said does contradict the fact that such apps can make you money if you're not ignorant of how to properly use the stock markets.

Besides, why should someone get a refund if an app has a flaw? They should research it before buying it so that they know if there are problems and what those problems are prior to buying it. If someone doesn't, then it's their own fault that they let this happen. Heck, many apps even have info on known bugs and you can just check it before you choose to buy it. I don't see most people getting refund for problems in software on most other platforms, so why should the phones be any different?

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]Yes, the iSHIT religion hasn`t reach far outside USA. Plus their products (and apps) are so overpriced that i should work many months for free to afford buying those products. My monthly income is under 600$ (and i too have a family to buy food for)... but everyone expect me to behave like i have one of 5000$. And gues what i did do a college too, but those are the incomes around here!Or you think if i am almost broke i should not use a phone or a computer or listen music or see a good movie?Charge everyone a percent (like 0.02%) from their income and then see who still pirate things online!Anyone heard recently for someone pirating a linux? Oh wait: is free...[/citation]

Whether or not you shouldn't use something is not in question. Whether or not you have a right to use something for free just because you can't afford it is what should be in question and the answer is simple: we aren't entitled to things for free just because we want them. That's being no less greedy than the big corporations and such are.

Besides, if you are so broke, then you should have the responsibility to do what you must for your family. If that means not having high end electronics, then that means that you shouldn't have high end electronics and such to play with. If you don't like that, then you should do something about it. There are plenty of ways to make money online and such if you want to actually put some effort into it. If you want improvements, then you should go out and get them instead of demanding hand outs.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]I don`t think devs should be self-employed. And if they sell me a thing then they should have include support for it! That is their responsability and should be mandatory by law (at least for 1 month or so)! If they can`t afford it to then go work for firms who can... or give it free (of charge and responsability)![/citation]
Who are you to say who should or shouldn't be self-employed?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Sure, its cool and all to hate on apple and get apps for free, but the developers do not work for Apple and are using it as a platform to make money (to eat food). I am one of those developers and this annoys me.[/citation]
try writing for microsoft then and you won't have to worry about eating apple table scraps and instead buy worrying if you can get the rims on your ferrari gold plated instead.

muy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
the icult of the igod would buy feces if it came in a can with an apple logo on.

btw, can anyone explain me the difference between and app and a program ?

anyone can lend me a few billion (1000 $ to get stickers with a logo to rebrand some made in china stuff, all the rest for advertising) so i can commercialize the mybook, myphone and the mypad?

lol.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]LightningStryk17[/nom]Sure, its cool and all to hate on apple and get apps for free, but the developers do not work for Apple and are using it as a platform to make money (to eat food). I am one of those developers and this annoys me.[/citation]
The devs may not be working for apple, but they're responsible for that heap of garbage gaining traction. If their investment doesn't pay off, maybe they'll pull apple support. I've got a very hard time seeing the negative in this.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
try writing for microsoft then and you won't have to worry about eating apple table scraps and instead buy worrying if you can get the rims on your ferrari gold plated instead.

the icult of the igod would buy feces if it came in a can with an apple logo on.

The devs may not be working for apple, but they're responsible for that heap of garbage gaining traction. If their investment doesn't pay off, maybe they'll pull apple support. I've got a very hard time seeing the negative in this.

I'm curious. Do you show this level of irrational rage at brands of kitchen appliances you don't like? Or perhaps brands of soda pop or beer? It must be nice to have the luxury of irrational hatred. Though you would be better served by doing something productive with that time instead.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]I'm curious. Do you show this level of irrational rage at brands of kitchen appliances you don't like? Or perhaps brands of soda pop or beer? It must be nice to have the luxury of irrational hatred. Though you would be better served by doing something productive with that time instead.[/citation]

It isn't irrational if you're working in IT. I have to support crap apple makes at work when I can't find a way to get around it.
In the distant past, before imacs and all the modern fragile icrap they make, they were respectable. Notably for buying and promoting postscript and usb. But that's about the only positive things they've done in my lifetime though, and it certainly doesn't warrant their existence today.
Today they only survive because they're really good at making simpleminded, ignorant and prestigeminded people think they get a good deal if they sell their souls to apple.

In short, it's not irrational but it might be hatred.

Seeing from a trend in our It department, those who like icrap are 1) women or 2) middleaged men or 3) old people. Those who don't are either 1) young people or 2) hardware interested 3) priceminded.

And I think we could get the #1 and #3 groups over to anti apple if they'd not been indoctrinated to the point they have. They mainly stick because they're blinded and no longer look for better options like a windows phone or x86 tablet.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]It isn't irrational if you're working in IT. I have to support crap apple makes at work when I can't find a way to get around it. In the distant past, before imacs and all the modern fragile icrap they make, they were respectable. Notably for buying and promoting postscript and usb. But that's about the only positive things they've done in my lifetime though, and it certainly doesn't warrant their existence today.Today they only survive because they're really good at making simpleminded, ignorant and prestigeminded people think they get a good deal if they sell their souls to apple. In short, it's not irrational but it might be hatred. Seeing from a trend in our It department, those who like icrap are 1) women or 2) middleaged men or 3) old people. Those who don't are either 1) young people or 2) hardware interested 3) priceminded.And I think we could get the #1 and #3 groups over to anti apple if they'd not been indoctrinated to the point they have. They mainly stick because they're blinded and no longer look for better options like a windows phone or x86 tablet.[/citation]

Young people don't like Apple? Have you ever heard of an iPhone or iPod?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Young people don't like Apple? Have you ever heard of an iPhone or iPod?[/citation]
there are young people who like apple ofcourse. But young people are openminded enough to potentially question the advertised supremacy of icrap. Not every inbetween is a me2 type.

Status
Not open for further replies.