S/PDIF from PC to receiver help

Trilandian

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I bought an S/PDIF optical audio cable a few days ago to replace my analog cables, plugged both ends of the cable into my PC and receiver, and it doesn't seem to work.

The dust caps are off, I can see the red light at the receiver end of the cable, and I enabled the digital output on my PC, but it's still not working.

Any suggestions?

Solution
As long as the S/PDIF Output is enabled on the computer and the correct drivers are installed, it sounds like it is something on the receiver's end. I know in some cases you have to go into the receiver's menus and 'bind' the Optical Input to a source such as (but I believe it could be any source) DVD or GAME.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
As long as the S/PDIF Output is enabled on the computer and the correct drivers are installed, it sounds like it is something on the receiver's end. I know in some cases you have to go into the receiver's menus and 'bind' the Optical Input to a source such as (but I believe it could be any source) DVD or GAME.

Solution

Trilandian

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
So, I checked out the in assignments of the receiver, and set the optical in to "DVD", after which I flipped through the playback modes until it was set to DVD/BD digital.

I tried it again, but it still wouldn't work.

Then, after going through the tabs of the digital output menu, I clicked on advanced, set the format to 5.1 interactive, hit test, and lo and behold, sound!

Thanks for the tip; it pointed me in the right direction.

ttimberlak443

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014

Haha..Glad I could point you in the right direction. I'm not super familiar with modern surround sound receivers since most of the receivers I have used are from the mid-90's and early-2000's. Glad it helped though