tx_pilot

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
I'm thinking about the Sager NP7378 (Clevo W370SS) - XoticPC is where I've been looking...

Now this is my first laptop that I have ever gotten to choose some of the configuration and I'm over my head. HAHA I don't game at all and no games will be placed on this laptop but I will be working with photos a lot (external monitors for any color critical work) and using Vegas Pro Suite mainly for timelapse and hyperlapse video. Now from time to time I will also play a little in Corel Draw Graphics Suite and also iClone/3DXchange, nothing really serious... just for fun.

So laptop priority goes:
1. Photo Editing (PhaseOne Capture One Pro)
2. Video Editing - Timelapse/Hyperlapse (Sony Vegas Pro Suite)
3. Just for Fun - (Corel Draw Graphics Suite & iClone)

What I'm looking at doing at this moment is:
mSATA SSD for "Boot Drive"
1st HDD = 1TB 7200
2nd HDD = SSD for Scratch Disk space (if needed??)

So my questions are:

1. Choosing to put my OS on a mSATA/SSD "Boot Drive", Do I ONLY put the OS on there or can I also place Capture One, Sony Vegas, Corel Draw, etc. etc. etc.?

2. If I can/should put some other programs on the mSATA SSD, how do I figure out what size SSD to get?

3. When working w/ Adobe.. Scratch Disk space was needed, Should I set up a 2nd HDD (SSD) for scratch disk space? * I want to note that I don't work in or with Adobe anymore but I think Vegas Pro would benefit from having scratch disk space available. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Now before anyone replies back saying that my money would be better spent on a Desktop, I know. lol I really need to go with a laptop first as I have started shooting Medium Format and need the laptop for shooting tethered with right now. I will be building a desktop later in the future.

Thanks, Zach

Solution
Of course you can install programs in your OS drive, provided there is space (most mSATA SSDs are at least 120GB, generally leaves you 70-80GB once the OS and drivers are installed), and that's the whole point of the SSD if you want to boost software startup speed. You'd need additional space to store all the video files if the SSD isn't that big, depending on the size of your projects. I never used sony vegas, but in corel video studio pro, initialize time was significantly lower when i had all my video files on an SSD as well.

edwd2

Honorable
Feb 20, 2013
Of course you can install programs in your OS drive, provided there is space (most mSATA SSDs are at least 120GB, generally leaves you 70-80GB once the OS and drivers are installed), and that's the whole point of the SSD if you want to boost software startup speed. You'd need additional space to store all the video files if the SSD isn't that big, depending on the size of your projects. I never used sony vegas, but in corel video studio pro, initialize time was significantly lower when i had all my video files on an SSD as well.

Solution