Sager/Clevo Graphics Issue

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Alright, so I have a Sager NP9150EM or Clevo p150EM which originall had a Nvidia GTX 675M in it. The card crapped out on me, so I purchased a Nvidia GTX 670MX that was previously in a Clevo P570WM. The install went smooth. I didn't remove any previous drivers which may have been stupid.

THE ISSUE: My Intel HD 4000 is now giving me the error code 12, and will not function. Installing the GTX 670MX driver "appears" to work, but then my laptop just hangs at the splash screen (can still hear the startup sound). Which forces me to go into safe mode and disable the card.

WHAT I have tried: Clean install of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit ->chipset driver from factory disc -> Intel driver from factory disc -> latest Nvidia driver for GTX 670MX. Tried using DDU removing both drivers and reinstalling latest intel -> latest Nvidia. I also put my bios settings to default, removed the batter, held down power button. I was going to re-seat my RAM, but the screws are stripped above my keyboard.... I'll figure that out later.

Forgot to mention I also uninstalled motherboard resources and PCI BUS from device manager, but no luck.

Stuck at 640x480 @ 16-bit color =(

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
well sorry to tell you this but this is what happens when you MOD your laptop. if you have just replace it with the same GPU (exact model, serial etc.) it would have work. but now since you MODed your laptop by changing your video card to another model helping you would be impossible since we don't know if your motherboard actually supports it. (i know it's still a GTX 600 series but this are laptop motherboard we are talking about). suggest get the same exact model serial as the one you originally replaced.

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

It's not that you don't know my motherboard, which you could look up with my provided model number. It's more that you personally don't know what you're talking about. I didn't mod anything, I physically replaced my graphic card with one that was supported by my system. I emailed my reseller and did tons of research which lead me to the following replacement solutions: GTX 670MX, GTX 675MX, GTX 675M, GTX 670M, GTX 680M. All of these cards were available as upgrades when I purchased my laptop.
If you knew about Sager/Clevo you would know that you can manually upgrade the GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, and CD/DVD drive. The GPU slot is MXM which supports other MXM cards (granted they are supported by your bios/chipset). There are several users who even modded the bios and are currently using GTX 970/980M's in their same model Clevo/Sager. Thanks for the thought though.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had a very particular issue with my 675M, it had the infamous random BSOD 0x116. From what I read it's VERY common in this model and even replacing it with a new 675M didn't work. People did have success with switching to Keplar cards hence the 670MX.

More onto my problem, I was actually thinking I may need to update my bios which is currently 1.00..04LS1 KBC/EC 1.00.04. However, I have limited knowledge in this area. Hopefully someone with more experience could chime in and help? Thanks.

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

really? i don't know what im talking about? i've been fixing PC's and laptop for more and 13 yrs. how about you?
back to the issue you said "I didn't mod anything, I physically replaced my graphic card with one that was supported by my system" really then tell me what is the make and model number of your motherboard what is the specifications? not the laptop mind you. the "motherboard". you know what's funny you said this "There are several users who even modded the bios and are currently using GTX 970/980M's in their same model Clevo/Sager." you acknowledge that as modding but not what you are doing. which is also upgrading the same GPU to a faster one (lol) ...... you can actually find more details on what your doing on a Laptop Modding website than here. oh and btw you can search in youtube on how to flash the BIOS.

EDIT
an info for you just because you gave the Laptop model number all the motherboard will be the same. there's gonna be variations to the motherboard as other laptop maker does....just look up Acer 320...it has like 3-5 kinds of different motherboard model.

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Yes, I said those who modded the BIOS (something I have NOT done which is considered modding). I guess if you want to get technical I "modified" my laptop by changing something, but I see it as a mere upgrade/replacement. I don't care how long you have been fixing computers, if you provide me with no solution based on little to no experience with my specific problem, then how is your experience relevant? My chipset is Intel HM77, I don't see why you need my mobo info. The card is compatible, but with my little experience with flashing a bios I am looking for someone who could confirm that I would need to upgrade, so I don't waste my time or chance bricking my laptop. I'll look up the youtube videos and guides, perhaps there is a specific one for my laptop. Can't tell you how many videos I followed and they skip a step or don't explain enough. I also posted on other forums, but I am simply looking for experience/tips found anywhere. If there is someplace better suited for my question that you have knowledge/experience about then I would be more than happy to accept your help. Thanks.

Edit: this is my mobo http://www.importitall.co.za/CLEVO-P150EM-motherboard-for-Sager-NP9150-Eurocom-Racer-20-ap-B00VQOOVEK.html

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

lmao...it's not technical at all..look..do you know the reason those guys "MODDED" there GPU and BIOS? it's to make them work together. btw that's all you know about you motherboard? i think you should have ask the manufacturer of your laptop ans not the reseller. .
and as to "I don't care how long you have been fixing computers, if you provide me with no solution based on little to no experience with my specific problem, then how is your experience relevant? " well your the one who said "It's more that you personally don't know what you're talking about." you came abit arrogant that's why i answered that.
you need a guide on how to flash the bios starting from the beginning. here http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1605 read it.

EDIT.
the link you provided tells nothing about the capability of your motherboard.

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
What capability are you looking for? I have already confirmed that the 670MX is a valid replacement. I reached out to my reseller's tech support who double checked with the manufacturer for me.

I honestly thought modding the bios was more for those top-tier people who want to squeeze every decimal point of performance out of their system, and that it gives the user greater control over certain settings. That was about the limit of my knowledge on that subject.

Thanks for the guide. I will be reading and watching for a while. Should I leave the 670MX in along with the drivers installed while performing the flash?

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
the capabilities im talking about is the specs usually you when you buy a new motherboard they list it. but as this is a "laptop motherboard" manufacturer don't list them or tell the end user about it. ahem* word of advise don't put too much faith on reseller's...you want to know something you should email or call the manufacturer directly, most of them are willing to help.

modding the bios does that and it also enter new code to make some incompatibility issue go away. (or make them compatible)

yes you leave it there while you flash the BIOS.

just out of curiosity, why didn't you let the reseller do the upgrade for you? cost too high?

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Yes, the price of the card+shipping+labor would have been $600+. I would have just sold mine and saved up for a new one before spending that much, I got the card for $235 and am more than capable of installing hardware in laptops/desktops (aside from bios).

I got this email from Sager:
"Please download the attached file 915ec11wr.7z.

Unzip the file to a DOS bootable USB flash drive.

Please make sure that the computer is on AC power.

Use the USB flash drive to boot the computer and run flashec to update the system firmware.

After the firmware is flashed, please disconnect the AC power and remove the battery for few seconds. ( Do I need to hold down power button or anything?)

Please download the attached file 915bv17ls1.7z.

Unzip the file to a DOS bootable USB flash drive.

Please make sure that the computer is on AC power.

Use the USB flash drive to boot the computer.

At the command prompt,

run meset.exe first.

Do not turn off the power.

Use the USB drive to boot the computer again. (Does it restart after meset.exe is ran?)

Run flashme"

I read that article, and stuck some questions in there (perhaps you could enlighten me). I read that article you directed me to, and it was very informative. I'll be watching videos and reading more before performing this so I can feel more confident. Thanks for the help!

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Thanks for the tip. I have read that article along with numerous others. I don't have the AMD filter listed in my device list (probably because I don't have an AMD card). I am pretty confident it's an issue with the GFX and Intel HD conflicting with each other due to outdated bios. Thanks though!

Eckhornsol

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015
Well I updated the EC/KBC, but my computer didn't shutdown. It's still in DOS. Should I force it to shutdown? I know after it's off I remove AC/battery then reboot and do BIOS update. Just don't know if forcing a power down will screw this up! Hoping for a quick answer!

qazzi

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
ouch $600.....ok back to topic. yes it will remain in DOS but as you said you need to remove the battery then update the BIOS. so reboot it. and follow the steps. you already know it. and please update us. if what you did is successful in making the GPU work.

kelsier91

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Hello,
I think I may be having the same sort of problem but I don't actually know if fixing mine is possible.
I also have a clevo p150em and my nvidia gtx 675m died so i bought another gtx 675m but i couldn't get it to work. I'd install it and when i turned on my computer I'd get some compatibility error message.
Anyway I took it to a guy and he said the new card i bought was from an alienware so it isn't possible to make it work.
I really don't know anything about computers but reading this thread made me think maybe it's possible?
Just want to get some final insight before I try and sell this card... and my computer lol.