Sager laptop experiencing long POST and BOOT up.

Lancerr

Commendable
May 27, 2016
My Sager (clevo P157SM) laptop has been experiencing really long POST times (using windows 10 on an SSD that is still healthy). It was able to boot within 10 seconds about a few weeks ago, now that boot time has leaped to 5 minutes.

During the POST, it would take between a minute to two minutes before the logo appears. Once the logo appears it takes another good minute for the loading circle to pop up. So it takes on average 5 minutes to reach the log in screen. Once I log in, the PC works fine.

I was able to temporarily fix the issue by disconnecting all my devices. I narrowed it down to one of my external HDDs. It seemed weird that this hard drive was causing the long POST times. As it hasn't caused such issue in the 3 years of use. However, the issue returned, even with all the devices disconnected.

During the long POST time, it takes ages to reach the BIOS menu. Once in, the BIOS is extremely laggy. There is a huge delay on the key presses and a delay on the graphical display (changing to a different tab would tear the screen). I have network stacks and secure boot disabled, with the windows boot manager as the only boot order. I also updated the BIOS in hopes of fixing the issue. After the update, the BIOS was lag free, until I turned UEFI back on.

With all these attempts to remedy the POST time, it still remains.

Any feedback and suggestions would be most welcome.

Hi,

Please try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First, is to set BIOS defaults. Open BIOS then press F9 or depending to your laptop to set it's defaults then press F10 to save and exit.
- If the same problem will persist, do disable the USB Boot Option in BIOS then see if that will solve the problem as others suggested.
- And lastly, do install the latest BIOS version if there's any.

Lancerr

Commendable
May 27, 2016

When I set the defaults, UEFI is disabled, and it won't boot normally. Regardless, I set it to default and turned on UEFI. Didn't change much. I can't disable USB in the BIOS, as the BIOS has no options for configurations under the advance tab. The BIOS is up to date.

Here's a couple of pictures of my BIOS. As you can see, it's very limited.
http://imgur.com/a/mkebO

I should've mentioned this. When I boot up my laptop without a charger, the battery gets critically low and turns off (even though it was at 100% before the shut down/restart). I'm not able to boot up the laptop without plugging in the charger thereafter. So I took out the battery and booted it with the charger only, which doesn't seem to be the fix. This seems like anomaly, as I try to boot up the laptop without the charger, the battery would go from 100% to critically low. After 5-10 minutes of use, the batter would be fully charged again. However, I am able to use the laptop on the battery for 2 hours.

The battery has 60% wear. Nevertheless, I mostly use the laptop plugged in. So mentioned before, I was able to temporarily fix the issue by disconnecting the external hard drives.